Custom lamiglas - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Rods And Custom Rod Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rods And Custom Rod Building Discuss on fishing rods & on custom rod building here. Saltwater and freshwater Rods

Old 04-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Custom lamiglas

I may have a 10' lamiglas blank wrapped with the low profile guides specific for casting braid. I'm looking for opinions on how many of the guides should be used on it. I've heard so many opinion such as less is more bc it cuts down on friction and i've heard otherwise with the low profile guides bc of how the braid goes through the eyes etc etc. I look at my 10'6'' mojo and there are 8 guides. Someone that I know that wraps rods said he'd only put 5 on it. Can someone enlighten me on this subject and how many low profile guides that they would use on this blank? Ty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Custom lamiglas

IMHO A specific number of guides can only be determined with the guides in hand - need to know the height of the guides (blank to bottom of the ring for casting); the rod needs to be "loaded" (stress distribution tested). My feeling/experience is that today's lower frame guides with 'new age' coatings will mean more guides on the rod than the older 'high frame' models however, since the guides have a very low coefficient of friction, and you will be using braided line you will not notice any decreased distance in casting nor any additional resistance when reeling in a fish. My advice would be more guides to keep the line tighter to the blank. The actual size of the guide (ring diameter) is based upon your terminal connections (knots). With braid / braid - mono / flouro shock leader you can get down to really small guides to tame line better - and the new Fuji K series are really good at shedding any tangles.
One other thing you could have done is to have the rod "Spiral", "Roberts" or "Acid" wrapped - where the guides begin on top (conventional casting) but spiral wrapped so the last guides and tip point 180 degrees off (like a spinning rod). This will in all likelyhood reduce the overall number of guides - and make the rod more stable when fishing it (as the line is pointing at the fish).

Last edited by Ken Preston; 04-17-2011 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 04-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Veteran

I build rods years ago and I think Ken gave you some good points. I do like the new way they roll the guides 180 degrees on the conventional rods. It stops the reel from rolling to the side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Striper Hunter

Thank you for the insight Ken. I use primarily spinning rods with braid in salt water and thats why I wanted the low profile guides as I have no complaints about them while in use on my Mojo rod. The fuji K series guides do seem like they would be a nice addition to any spinning rod, including my little 8 footer...always something to tinker with. I'll have to check if I can find anyone that does rod building classes :) Thank you again Ken.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur1 View Post
Thank you for the insight Ken. I use primarily spinning rods with braid in salt water and thats why I wanted the low profile guides as I have no complaints about them while in use on my Mojo rod. The fuji K series guides do seem like they would be a nice addition to any spinning rod, including my little 8 footer...always something to tinker with. I'll have to check if I can find anyone that does rod building classes :) Thank you again Ken.
Gosh, I just re-read your original post. I have no idea where I got the idea you were planning on conventional set up! Spinning rod with the K series will be very good. Fuji just came out with an "L" appended K-series. The 'L' stands for Low frame. These have just become available. I think you'd be very, very pleased with them. With spinning set up it would be "blank to top of ring" .. again my bad for misreading your first post.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Poseidon Custom Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur1 View Post
I may have a 10' lamiglas blank wrapped with the low profile guides specific for casting braid. I'm looking for opinions on how many of the guides should be used on it. I've heard so many opinion such as less is more bc it cuts down on friction and i've heard otherwise with the low profile guides bc of how the braid goes through the eyes etc etc. I look at my 10'6'' mojo and there are 8 guides. Someone that I know that wraps rods said he'd only put 5 on it. Can someone enlighten me on this subject and how many low profile guides that they would use on this blank? Ty
when he says 5 referring to teh COF layout. or cone of flight. on a 10fter, i use... 50, 30, 20, 16, 12 and a ten top. Its an older style of layouts which is still used today, but may not have the same performance as say NGC. that is where more guides are used spaced closer together, and highframes are implemented. strating with a 30 stripper for most 10'ers. Finally your mijo has a the LRC system. Thats lowriders, and they are very small ringed guides for a surf rod but can increase distance casting.