emergency response and rescue - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boaters Forum This forum is for boaters both fresh and saltwater. Trolling / Tips / Tactics / Maintenance

Old 06-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default emergency response and rescue

there are more than a few things in life that warrant complete and utter attention
one is safety.
a quick note to anyone boating and as i don't habitually boat. i do know that on the heels of a NH incident the other day i thought to post this little tidbit in that wake
there is no substitute for a vhf radio as other boaters and CG can hear your distress calls. but a cell phone? it is very hard if you are offshore to get a signal and inshore sometimes patchy depending on your service and location. in the event of a catastrophe, you will only have your radio for assistance. your location device on your vest needs to be activated but what if it is not on your person when capsised. you are now f$#*%#d.
there is a cell phone "that should be kept in an airtight compartment on your person (and not just for emergencies as rain and even i have dropped one overboard) can make a difference. although a cell phone cannot give CG a signal to home in on to promptly save you and 911 can "if it is able to be accessed" you could give your location and then they relay that to the CG. if you dial CG - "24" on your phone, this will get you to the boston Coast Guard emergency unit and would be faster if you did have a signal where you were located. (in the instance of the disaster the other day they were very close to shore and would surely have a signal..... not to say in that case it would have mattered but...) any advantage on the water you have for safety can be a blessing or not matter but by some crazy chance it is of some use i say why not have it. now this is a boston/nh/maine/ new england system. any other coast guard stations should have a similar thing in place. check with your local CG and marina to verify that if you are not already familiar with this little tidbit. this is a half assed article i wrote but, it is just a spur of the moment item i thought was somewhat important to relay as i am sure there would be a better way to dictate it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Default Re: emergency response and rescue

Biggest safety factor I see with modern boaters?
Try to remain at least moderately sober!

Get out there on a hot summer's day and start drinking and you can get into trouble fast between the hydration and empty belly.

Force drink water to keep hydrated.
(and if you're bald like me,,, wear a hat. Fried brains don't work well. )

But everyone already knew that.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Striper Envy

Good point Zimno. One thing I would add related to your cell phone. Turn it off when not using it offshore. I have found that if your phone goes into "roaming" mode it sucks the juice quickly and if you need it, the battery may be dead. But again....this is only a backup.....2 way VHF and a handheld VHF should be your main safety gear for distress calls.

The guys in NH may or maynot have benefited but most certianly would have been rescued faster if they had life jackets on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

yea, i know. i still envision the wave and the people helpless on the beach who witnessed that. freakin terrible. thanks for the added note of battery saving. this stuff is seldom talked about when fishing either.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Pro Staff

Good post Zim.

Here is a LINK to the story, for those who haven't read it yet.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Striper Hunter

One of the most overlooked pices of safety equipment is the life preserver. If you put on your safety belt in a car or put on a helmet when riding a bike or motorcycle, what's so hard about putting on a life preserver while boating? We always wear ours.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Official Member

They are a bit more but Type V pfds with hydrostatic inflation are a must have when either going out at night or going out solo. Mine worked great at the dock, yes I dropped it in between the dock slots and the sucker went off. $55 that I didn't need

JD
Old 08-14-2009, 06:20 PM
First Mate

Rescue team hard at work. Or tax $$ hard at work. Canadian unMounted Police
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	June100.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	11644   Click image for larger version

Name:	June097.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	11645  
Old 08-14-2009, 07:01 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumper
Mine worked great at the dock, yes I dropped it in between the dock slots and the sucker went off. $55 that I didn't need
$55 where in the heck did you get that vest??? I paid that much for my daughters boat/swim vest(type III). The rearm kit for a inflatable is less than $20

I can't even imagine ever going on a boat without a PFD for me. I have a hydrostatic one also, but I changed to manual as the hydrostatic ones can go off in a torential rain. Most good vests can be rearmed. In NJ it's the law, one type I, II,II or V USCG approved PFD per person-I'm pretty sure it's federal-No I know it is. Heck even a (type IV) cushion is better than nothing.

I got the (type III or V ?) inflatable as we have to wear them all the time when fishing tournys. I am looking into a Mustang hydrostatic as they claim no premuture failure and 5 yr maintanance free. We used the Mustang suits(well thankfully never had to wear it)when I worked on a boat out of Hyannis 20 some odd yrs ago.

The real good ones can be costly but how much is your life worth? A Mustang Hydro goes between $200 and $300. But you can still buy a decent one for a little over $100.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:22 PM
First Mate

One other thing I recommend for the real rough days is a anti-gravity shirt sometimes called a flotation shirt. It can be worn under clothing and aids in flotation and keeps you warmer you must also wear a USCG approved PFD. The best $100 you could spend- the
NRS Anti-Gravity Shirt, nice for the surf also.
There are other company's that also offer different types of flotation shirts and jackets (float coats)and some are USCG approved PFDs.-Stearns, Mustang and Powerboat to name a few
Old 08-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

while in the service we were taught to make a makeshift life preserver out of our pants. while in the water you take off the pants and tie the legs of the pants together in a knot. then with the waist buttoned all up, launch the open end up and down into the water to fill it with air and close tight with your hands. pull the two legs over your head and it will work for a while till you have to fill it with air again. all these things i wanted to do in a video for the site but just can't get my act together. no excuses, work and fishing and life chit gets in the way of alot of important issues to be addressed. or in this case, undressed.. i hate to say it but i just know somehow this post is gonna get clobbered with b.s. remarks but wtf. it works as i have done it time again.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:14 AM
Official Member

Quote:
i hate to say it but i just know somehow this post is gonna get clobbered with b.s. remarks but wtf. it works as i have done it time again.
Not if the reader went to Navy or Coast Guard bootcamp.

Had to tow a boat in the other day from just outside the inner harbor in Porthsmouth, NH. It was a 12 foot aluminum boat with two people on board that couldn't keep their engine running. From what they described it was either an air leak in their fuel hose or a clogged fuel filter.
Anyway their situation was they were anchored from the stern, a no no, and no life jackets on in a fast flowing current. Got them out of there and around to there launch point but I never saw two people more ill equiped to survive if they sank. They said they had been there an hour trying to flag people down and the irony of the whole situation was if someone walked out the back door of the Portsmouth Coast Guard station they could have hit that boat with a rock. No radio, no cell phone, no signaling devices of any kind.
Dumb
Old 08-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

was flyrodding yesterday and at one of my haunts i saw a couple of mexicans fishing off a jetty. one got his bait rig snagged and he was in up to his chest to try and free it when he yelled to his partner in spanish loudly. he was up to his neck and this is a spot i myself rescued an errant plug i coveted. and i was in no way happy about my boneheaded rescue (got it back) but i all too well know exactly how far out i can safely go. i was almost sure he was into deeper water in an instant had his pal not jumped in to grab his arm and pull him out. it was like i wanted to look away but couldn't. i was very angry as the look i got from his pal when he was jumping in was one of "will you get me if i get stuck" kinda look. i don't like being put on the spot and will warn anyone i see that i will be pissed if i have to go in after someone. some woulda entertained the thought of calling the Coast Guard on them guys in the boat. nobody should place anyone's well being in jeopardy out there for selfish and irresponsible behavior. relying on the kindness of strangers or at the very least the sympathy and availability of rescue workers when ill prepared is just wrong and idiotic.