Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Sliding sinker vs. fixed weight bait rigs-any opinions?

8K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Striperjim 
#1 ·
Any thoughts opinions out there regarding using a sliding sinker/fishfinder rig vs. a rig with the weight tied to the line for using bait from the shore? I fish the Hudson River spring run, bloods, chunk herring, hopefully live herring this year.
Thanks in advance for the feedback!

#2 ·
When I bait fish I usually use two rods. The one I'm holding gets the fishfinder rig and is kept in freespool to let the fish run a bit before the hookset. The deadstick rod in the holder get a High/low rig with an 8 oz minimum sinker on the bottom. The big sinker is so the fish will hook himself even on an incoming hit.
In line, not offset, circle hooks only unless I'm meat fishing and the fish are being picky, light hits, then I go Gami J hooks.

#3 ·
I like sud's idea of the heavier sinker. It seems like a perfect thing to do with a fast current and a three way swivel. The heavier lead on the front end of the three way and the sliced and filleted bait dangling in the current for a nice fat presentation.
I almost always otherwise use the fishfinder even on a boat chunking bunker. (not with eels though)

#4 ·
whats a fish finder rig

Sudsy said:
When I bait fish I usually use two rods. The one I'm holding gets the fishfinder rig and is kept in freespool to let the fish run a bit before the hookset. The deadstick rod in the holder get a High/low rig with an 8 oz minimum sinker on the bottom. The big sinker is so the fish will hook himself even on an incoming hit.
In line, not offset, circle hooks only unless I'm meat fishing and the fish are being picky, light hits, then I go Gami J hooks.
my first post..transition from ice shanty. gonna tackle the stripers for first time...what is the difference between a fish finder rig and a high/low rig. how are they rigged, purpose of each ...ive been lurking a little today looks like great site...Snot Rocket

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.