Fishing Report-Catching All Weekend Long in the Upper Bay (w/pics) - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Fishing Report-Catching All Weekend Long in the Upper Bay (w/pics)

Fly & Light Tackle Fishing Trips Year Around

Departure Sites Conveniently Located for Baltimore, Annapolis, Washington DC, & Virginia
Half & Full Day Trips
Now Available on the Upper & Middle Chesapeake Bay

Catching All Weekend Long in the Upper Chesapeake Bay
Saturday, 9/19/09

I had the pleasure of guiding Joe and his son Matt, from South Hamilton, MA, from 7:00am until 11:00am. They were here to watch the Boston Red Sox play the Orioles. I picked them up in front of the Marriott Waterfront Hotel at 7:00am, and they fished the Patapsco River until 11:00am. The strong winds kept us off the Chesapeake Bay. Finding a concentration of active fish was tough until the last hour of their trip, where a nice school of bluefish showed up feeding on silversides.

Most Productive Lure: Hopkins SHORTY Silver Spoon, 3/4 ounce, Single Hook

Most Productive Technique: Horizontal Jigging -Cast the lure and count it down to the desired depth (on average lures sink 1 foot per second). With the rod tip parallel to the water and at the 12 o’clock position, start moving the rod backwards toward the 9 o’clock position, while jigging the lure. Take all the slack out of the line when moving the rod tip back forward to the 12 o’clock position. Repeat this again and again, until the lure is back at the boat.
Matt & Joe Galvin

Sunday, 9/20/09

I was fortunate enough to have a couple of Red Sox fans book a half-day trip today. I picked up Kate and Mark at the Inner Harbor promptly at 7:00am. The wind was calm so we headed out to the Upper Chesapeake Bay. The birds were working at our first location and Kate caught the largest striper of the day measuring 24".
Kate Harvey Pulled Her Hand Back Off the Reel as the Striper Made a Run

Kate Kept the Fly Rod at the Correct Position Putting Pressure on the Striper

A Quick Picture was Taken before the Striper was Released

Kate Harvey & Mark LaFaver from MA After a Half-Day of Catching

Fly Fishing Equipment - Orvis 9 weight Helios Rod - Orvis Large Arbor Battenkill Reel - Class V,
Generation 3 Density Compensated Sinking Fly Line - 3" Yellow & White Sinking Clouser

Most Productive Technique: Short Striping the Fly -Cast the fly and count it down to the desired depth. The rod tip should be parallel and very close to the water surface during the retrieve. Start stripping swiftly in no more than 6” increments at a swift speed. Repeat this until the fly is back at the boat.

From 12:15pm until 4:30pm John Keeler and I enjoyed catching some nice striped bass and bluefish in the Upper Chesapeake Bay. The birds were working and the sonar was lit up all afternoon.
Before Leaving We Caught Some Large White Perch on Hopkins SHORTY Spoons

Departure Sites Conveniently Located for Baltimore, Annapolis, Washington DC, & Virginia
Half & Full Day Trips
Now Available on the Upper & Middle Chesapeake Bay

Receive Future Fishing Reports & Other Catching Information via Email
Sponsored Links
Advertisement