Sewage dump Sunday; avoid Hudson water - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 03-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Official Member

Default Sewage dump Sunday; avoid Hudson water

Westchester County health officials say people should avoid contact with Hudson River water on Sunday, when about 2 million gallons of raw sewage will flow into the waterway during a pipeline repair in North Yonkers.
The work, scheduled from midnight to 4 a.m. Sunday, calls for replacing a leaking flange gasket that plugs sewage in a major trunk sewer line just north of the county's Yonkers Joint Wastewater Treatment Plant.

The county received an emergency permit from the state Department of Environmental Conservation to do the work, which it attempted to perform in October. However, that repair didn't take, said Lenny Meyerson, deputy commissioner for environmental health with the Westchester County Department of Health.
"It's a very minor leak," Meyerson said yesterday. "But if you just leave it, water finds a way, eventually, once it starts leaking, of actually breaking loose. If that were to happen, there would be an uncontrolled release."
Officials are notifying marinas from Tarrytown to the Bronx along the river and sending the word to Hudson River enthusiasts to avoid contact with the water on Sunday.
But officials at the Hudson River Sloop Clearwater, a prominent environmental group, say that doesn't address all concerns.
"It's easy to tell kayakers to avoid the area," said Manna Jo Greene, the group's environmental director. "But it's not easy to tell fish and phytoplankton and the aquatic organisms to avoid the area, and it's certainly going to have impacts. There's no way to divert the aquatic organisms, especially those rooted in the area."
Meyerson said most of the sewage discharged during the repairs will be stored and released slowly into the system once the repairs are done. The sewage is screened to clear it of solids and chlorinated before being released into the river.
Still, he said it likely will be less than 2 million gallons, a reduction from the 2 million to 3 million gallons that were released into the river during the October work.
In addition, he said more sewage routinely is washed into the river during a heavy rainstorm. That's because Yonkers has a combined wastewater system, which means its storm drain and sewage systems are combined. In heavy rain, the system is allowed to overflow so that sewage doesn't back up into homes. That releases millions of gallons of untreated sewage into the river.
Meyerson said that studies have determined that even that amount of runoff poses little risk.
"There's a minimum measure (the Environmental Protection Agency) has set, and I know the county has done some testing and has shown the impact has not been significant in terms of affecting the ecosystem," he said.
County officials said the work should be done before sunrise on Sunday, and that only direct contact with the water is discouraged for the day. After that, they maintain, the sewage will dissipate into the river's tides and currents.
Reach Jorge Fitz-Gibbon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2009, 11:53 PM
Lunker

Default Re: Sewage dump Sunday; avoid Hudson water

This really pisses me off!!!!!

I understand the neccessary repairs have to be done but damn all that sewage????

Thanks for the heads up.....
Old 03-21-2009, 01:43 AM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

Not good, but it could be worse, if it was done in late April or May, for one thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 08:46 AM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdnyfan View Post
In addition, he said more sewage routinely is washed into the river during a heavy rainstorm. That's because Yonkers has a combined wastewater system, which means its storm drain and sewage systems are combined. In heavy rain, the system is allowed to overflow so that sewage doesn't back up into homes. That releases millions of gallons of untreated sewage into the river.
The whole infrastructure sucks. I wonder what the annual total release of raw sewage is due to rainwater overflow.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Official Member

I was wondering why the boat smelled like poop yesterday. HAHA
Old 03-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

I've said if before: as a kid welding for the guy down the street they used to unload cucka sucka trucks right into the river. I bumped into the owner at a coffee shop, and asked him if he ever gets herring anymore. Also as a kid the herring and smelt used come up strong. He had the audacity to say "no, don't see anymore herring, we used to . . . "

People from where I'm from wonder why we don't have smelt anymore!
Old 03-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Official Member

wtf they suck. there's a stream i fish in the cornwall area and every time there is high water sewage floods out. down a little ways in the stream it forks and on one side it vary stagnant and all this raw sewage sits there its f***ing nasty. sry for the bad words it just a soft spot. i talked to a few dec people about it and they said it would have been taken care of but def not its just great. im not an expert but there is not way it could be good for the environment. when you see tp floating down the river i think something should be done about it.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

just don't fish in cockiesackie area! lol. but on a serious note, it is a widespread problem with sewage all over. thankfully in my area, they will be done in 2 years but working on a major sewer line/pump station for where our overflow and scum#@#s pump thier septic into the street on rainy days. all septic will be eliminated from the area. i can smell where the drain water feeds into the body of water right at the pier and ultimately feeds into the flat where i wade. (not after a rain of course) but it seems like there is always something in the hudson screwing it up. last year i recall a spill of gasoline? now down by the 69th st pier in bklyn there is a oil spill today or yesterday. i hope you don't have any more events to hamper your season of edible fish...

Old 03-25-2009, 05:44 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

I know it takes time (your time), but it is somewhat convincing to have a signed petition with ink stains and different colored pens and all . . . hand that with at least a hundred signatories into the local town hall, and you can make a change. State clearly what it is you don't agree with, back it up with some facts, knock on doors, get people to sign it, and you're done.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:39 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Z View Post
Not good, but it could be worse, if it was done in late April or May, for one thing.
Nice point.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:16 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puertoricofishin View Post
Nice point.
They prolly did it perfect time for most of the main run of stripers to swim right through it. I look forward to catching one with a turd in its mouth!!
2014 total:
Old 04-13-2014, 07:22 PM
Official Member

The original post is from FIVE YEARS ago...........
Old 04-13-2014, 07:56 PM
Official Member

At least someone is paying attention.
2014 total:
Old 04-13-2014, 09:29 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellabella View Post
They prolly did it perfect time for most of the main run of stripers to swim right through it. I look forward to catching one with a turd in its mouth!!
I've been away from striper fishing for s while now. But wasn't the main run done time around October? That was when I used to catch the most back toward the 69th street pier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toemandoug View Post
The original post is from FIVE YEARS ago...........
Jajajajaja. Even greater point...