Live Bait vs Artificial - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 06-28-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Live Bait vs Artificial

Hi all,

This is a question relating to surfcasting for stripers.

Using live bait (clams) has been very productive in catching stripers. Would artificial bait (soft or hard baits) work just as well?

For example I heard that sluggos work, but are they as effective as live bait?

Any suggestions on artificial baits?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2005, 12:08 AM
Striper Hunter

i too am curious about this....and responses?
Old 06-29-2005, 12:27 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

THEY SELL SLUGGOS THAT LOOK JUST LIKE SAND EELS AND WE FLYFISH WITH THEM WITH SUCCESS (WHEN I GET TO) THE THING ABOUT IT IS THAT YOU WILL LIKE TO FISH THE BARS AND DROPOFFS WHERE THE BASS LOOK TO TRAP BAIT AND WHERE THESE SAND EELS ARE PREVALENT. IF YOU JIG WITH BRAID AND TOSS THESE BABIES IN THE SURF AND LET EM TUMBLE OUT IN THE CUT OFF THE BAR - BINGO! THIS THREAD WILL PROMPT NUMEROUS RESPONSES. PLUGS/JIGS/ETC.

Old 06-29-2005, 01:16 AM

With freshwater fishing, most times plugs and live bait give you varied results depending on the product, usually with artificial being more easily accessible, and producing more then live bait in 60 percent of the instances.

With Saltwater, chunking, chumming, or bottom fishing, almost nothing comes close to having such good results. This includes sandworms, clams etc. Although for catching smaller fish then stripers such as perch, fluke or other,(mabye possibly striper but I havent had experience using FishBites for stripers) there is a somewhat new artificial scent product that is extremely efficient, equalling the dependability of live bloodworms or live shrimp, called fishbites

Fishbites are an extremely nice asset to have with you. They come in many different flavors, and even different colors for added visibility. In my instances, after the water temperature has reached 65 degrees farenheit or higher, these artificial baits often equal if not excel live bloodworms, shrimp, or, soft crab, although still nothing beats true soft crab. These baits are an extremely good deal for the money, as while you do get less in quantity per package, they are either 6.99 for the triangle form that include flavors of crab, shrimp, and others, and the strip form of bloodworms for 7.99

The baits are assembled starting with an inner mesh that is extremely strong, in which the hook bites into, the mesh is then surrounded with a sort of dehydrated and concetrated scent substance, which is able to be handled with ease, for it is not wet, mushy, or other. When it starts out it has the texture of a stick of unchewed gum, folded in half, but without the stretch. Although when place in water, the substance melts off with about an hour and a half of time in 65 degrees water. With the strong inner mesh, the same bait will last either 3 or more fish, or an hour to two hours. The hotter the water, the quicker the bait evaporates to the mesh, and the more scent, and effectiveness. Thus it is only a summer bait, but still extremely effective, and when your down, if you leave it under your car seat, it wont leave any offending odors (although it does 'keep' better for use if stored in room temperatures, a month in the car will take away from its scent abilities)
Old 06-29-2005, 02:10 AM

Nice post kcube you sound like a fishbites rep. They are however gummy and need warmer water to be activated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captkid
Using live bait (clams) has been very productive in catching stripers. Would artificial bait (soft or hard baits) work just as well?
The answer to that all important question is the holy grail. If you can figure out what they are feeding on at a particular time you can "match the hatch" to score. This relates to the NY - NJ area. Fly fishing to me takes skill and patience of which i possess only a tiny bit. In this case the artificial fly is the fishermans only weapon. In spring a fly rodder will score on clousers and deceivers. In late may and june they try to match the cinderworm hatch and in the fall they use peanut bunker pattern like baby angels or bunker deceivers.
I used to be primarily a bait chunker so as the year progressed I'd start out using using blood worms and herring (in the river), sand worms, clams, bunker (noggins mostly), eels, peanut bunker and butter fish in a pinch. Porgies if your on a boat and can catch them.
And many assorted baitfish like mullet, and little snappers caught on a mini popper and livelined.
Jetty fishing is a good place to start using artificials. Hard structure, muscle beds, rock piles. Or soft structure like mud flats and sand bar cuts and troughs.
Your arsenal should include bucktails, wood plugs like darters, Dannys and other custom wood swimmers and plastics, and resins like paddletail swim shads. In other words you want to have lures to fish all parts of the water column. The tins cast good in the wind as do bottle plugs.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:48 AM

Awesome posts guys!

Thank you all for those tips. :wtg:

So for saltwater fishing (for stripers) a live bait setup would be preferred.

I will try out some artificials, but live bait would probably produce more action.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:12 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Depends for me. If I am spot fishing Bassy's and I see em boilin', I will throw plugs. Sometimes I will even throw chunks to see if there is a response, and if the bite is conistant I will work the area of water over with either poppers or surface swimmers.

Slug-Go's really work well if the fish are in tight. The Alewive and Pearl ones have always been my faves. Dont really fish em often anymore though unless I'm dead driftin em or jiggin'.

Old 06-29-2005, 01:36 PM

Seems to me live bait is best (eels, mac, herring, etc), dead is next (chunk or clams), and artifical is last for "everything equal" production.

But when is everything equal?

I have found that when the fish are around, artificals will catch more faster and easier than bait. What I mean by that is you don't need to re-bait a hook, cast and wait. You simply keep casting to the fish and hook up one after the other.

However, there are times when only bait will work. I may get 2 on artifical, switch to bait, and get 6 more with constant action.

In the early spring, I use 100% artifical (Storm, FinS, Sluggo, Zoom for soft plastics), as it moves to summer I will go out at nights with eels, clams or some fish (bunker, mac, herring, etc) but I will always cast some hard plastics/woods and soft plastics everynow and then.

In the fall, it's back to artificals. When you find the school, they are aggressive and you can score fast and often.

The other plus with artificals is the mobility and quick-chang ability. If you are using bait (except for eels) you will likely pick a spot and fish it for a while. Makes sense, you should probably even chum a little to draw the fish in. With artificals, you look for the fish.

And as Jim pointed out, you can quickly change sizes, styles, shapes, and colors until you find the right one.

So, the short answer, IMO, is bait is best if you are in the right spot but artificals will probably catch you more fish and you will find more spots over time.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:57 PM

Great post Charlie. :wtg:

Have the Storms and Slug-gos been productive for you?
Old 06-29-2005, 03:46 PM

Yes. Depending on the time of year and the bait they are keying on you can match up very well.

9" sluggos look like eels and herring
6" sluggos look like eels, sandeels, squid, etc
and the storms in 4-9 look like shad and peanuts bunker

I'd recommend getting some 4" storms in pearl. They work now, but when the peanut bunker move in, oh man.

I'd also get some Sluggos or FinS in bubblegum, white, and/or dark in the 4-6-9 sizes.

Hundreds of stripers from 15"-44" in the last few years on these.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:42 PM
Veteran

I fish with both, But I just love to plug. Once you get hooked on plugging you just can;t stop. The guys with the live bait will get bigger fish. It's just that I love to see them hit the plug.I like poppers beter than swimmers. Because you see tham hit it.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:22 PM

I'm relatively new to saltwater fishing (7 years) but I've fished fresh water for 40 years. So I borrow from what I know. In freshwater I'll find fish using a fast reteive lure like a spinner bait or crank bait. When I find the fish I'll usually go to a more finesse bait like a rubber worm or jig.

So in saltwater I troll with a tub'n worm to find the fish and then anchor or drift with live or cut bait. Of course I use a sandworm on my tube'n worm.

But, I guess the point I'm making is that artificals generally can cover a lot more ground then fishing live of cut bait and that somewhat off-sets the live or cut bait attraction.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:53 PM

Bump
Old 09-11-2006, 05:07 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

I fish lures 97% of the time, I can't sit still long enough to fish bait. I've had times when I out fished the guys chunking and others when they out fished me. And I'm with sea sea rider on the surface hit there's nothing like it once you see and hear a big bass whack a popper you get addicted to it.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:37 AM

Default Re: Live Bait vs Artificial

Do any of you fish tide rivers? If so, does plug season only last till spawn or do you still catch the stripers on plugs all season? It's really close now for them to be starting spawming. They were hitting plugs up river but the shad came in so Ive been in the lower river and have seen a shitload of hawgs chasing shad around from dark on but can't get them to bite anything. I've even tried live trout, and nothing. I just figure it's so close to spawn there not going to bite for awhile. Does anyone have any suggestion?