Popham Beach Phippsburg, ME 08-17/18-07 Pictorial - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Maine
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Maine Maine Striper Fishing discussion & reports

Old 08-21-2007, 06:32 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Default Re: Popham Beach Phippsburg, ME 08-17/18-07 Pictorial

awesome pics guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2007, 11:11 PM
Pro Staff

We missed you Jimi,,, How was the Cape?
Old 08-22-2007, 12:52 AM
First Mate

Thanks Smu... Jon do you really think she'd go to another one of these? I guess if you give her ALL of the info she wold be better prepared for a full weekend of fishing LOL.

BryanL
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2007, 01:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
Thanks Smu... Jon do you really think she'd go to another one of these? I guess if you give her ALL of the info she wold be better prepared for a full weekend of fishing LOL.

BryanL
The best and worst thing about my wonderful girlfriend is that she will go anywhere with me. Can be a pain sometimes. But yea she would definetly go again over and over. Although she is in law school and will be starting her second year soon so there won't be much time for the rest of this year. Ohhhhhh well looks like it will be just me and you guys ;)
Old 08-22-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeema
What was the brand on that reel again? It was beautiful, and almost as nice as the sunrise.
That was a Van staal VSB 150
Old 08-22-2007, 12:15 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitrunner View Post
We missed you Jimi,,, How was the Cape?
fishing sucked in the canal the first two nights...tuesday night/wed morning made up for it when i finally found a pod of decent fish..from 4am till about 7am it was non stop fish on the surface..a mixed bag of 25-30 inch fish..no cows but a good time..the most fun i had was taking my son and nephew to water wizz on tuesday, and my little maggie to the campground country store for ice cream...i was not able to do much more after late wednsday afternoon..i had twisted my back just right..or should i say just wrong...
Old 08-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Veteran Elite

at least you got fish on the cape. I was there on mon tues and wed, fished a lot and got nothing not even a scup or blue.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Lunker

jimi i think i was throwing at the same pod of fish as you . i read in a previous post you made that said you were going to be fishing there that week.that sunday morning prior to the tues i think your talking about from mid canal eastthe plce was lit up with fish on top chasing small bait.i had a double with fish hittng teaser and plug both were fat 26-28 inch fish caught many more smaller bass but all fish were keyed on smaller offerings. its funny ,in past such situations small metal has served me well but all they wanted was small spook style stuff and my teasers.any way hope your back feels better remember all those breaking fish come january.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:10 PM
Veteran Elite

ok so in the unpacking we lost the camera. once I find it i will try to put up some pics by then the thread will be two weeks old and no one will go on it. this week is busy because both the wife and I are trying to squeeze in as many activities into the last week of summer as possible.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:24 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mully537 View Post
jimi i think i was throwing at the same pod of fish as you . i read in a previous post you made that said you were going to be fishing there that week.that sunday morning prior to the tues i think your talking about from mid canal eastthe plce was lit up with fish on top chasing small bait.i had a double with fish hittng teaser and plug both were fat 26-28 inch fish caught many more smaller bass but all fish were keyed on smaller offerings. its funny ,in past such situations small metal has served me well but all they wanted was small spook style stuff and my teasers.any way hope your back feels better remember all those breaking fish come january.
holy friggin crapola..something tells me we were fishing the same group of fish..they were bustin all over...i think we are in the same general location...hint..our nations bird mean anything to you? ...the eastern end of that stretch...i saw baitfish between 4-6 inches long..under the bourne bridge sunday and monday..im not sure what kind of bait it was but it was kinda cool to see the potential bass magnets swimming along..funny, i worked the hell out of bridge area the first two nights only to catch a skunk...it was a good idea to move east after that...
Old 08-23-2007, 09:06 PM
Lunker

the bait i wsa seeing was small 1-2 inch,i actually used some small calcutta swim shads as a teaser ahead of my plug(a first for me and it worked great!)cut way down on distance though,and was a minor nuisance at times getting tangled up.you think maybe you were seeing choggies? they seem to be present at most areas along the canal and bass will eat them too but ive never seen them herded into bunches and blasted up like that.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:56 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

i have no idea what the small baitfish were..they were along the rocks all around the bridge columns just before dark...some smaller schoolies or blues were slapping around those rocks every night...but i could never hook into anything over there....i tried to "match the hatch" based on the baitfish i saw along those rocks for nothing...i figured it was good to stick with lures simillar in size to that bait no matter where i fished..it was just a matter of finding the pod of bass willing to eat what i had...this past vacation, although not a lot of fishing time, due to the back injury, was my first adventures using a bicycle...from now on..ill never go to the canal without one...now..to fabricate a rod holder for the wifes mpountain/canal bike...
Old 08-26-2007, 01:10 PM
First Mate

hey guys.i don't mean to (re)hijack this thread but this months on the water
magazine has some pretty good- familiar pictures of popham beach-page 60
those blitzes we saw in the am are a regular event- and the locals know it.
also that island we hoofed (jon and myself) to is a local hot spot..
Old 08-27-2007, 01:49 AM
First Mate

I believe it... how was that island by the way? Was there any place to land a fish during low tide? I was thinking about staying out there for high tide but I never made it out that way. Maybe next time I go I'll try that.

BryanL
Old 09-02-2007, 08:56 AM
First Mate

bryan, that island, despite our results, looks pretty fishy and on the backsides sloped comfortably for sishing and landing.
one thing, you might want to consider wearing shoes (one of us went out there barefooted) those rocks are rough! korkers might be a good thing too!
the front is very shallow, the back pretty deep and where they meet forms a pretty nice rip.
if i had had more time to scout the day before (instead of chowing down)
may have had better results.
pretty cool place though wan't it!