First post need a new rod and need a little help - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 07-13-2005, 08:23 PM

Default First post need a new rod and need a little help

I need a new rod for fishing the inlet where i fish, and I'm trying decide on either one i can use strictly for stripers or one I can use for everything i fish for there.

http://www.ticaglobal.com/EN/AM/PR_R...SURF&TYPE=UEHA

I'm trying decide between the 7' and the 9' the 7' would be lighter and 3/4-3oz lure weight is more than enough for striper fishing for me, but the 9' i could use in the surf, for tog and for stripers, but the minimum lure weight is 2 oz so i may not be able to use some light jigs.

Which do you think would be better for my situation, also does anyone know how these Tica rods hold up? I'm also open to other rod suggestions in the same price range
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2005, 11:15 PM

More info needed

Do you have the reel to go on it already or will you match the reel to the rod?
What sized offerings are you going to be throwing? 1/2 oz jigs, 4 oz jigs .......?
Is this going to be used anywhere beside the inlet?
Is there the possibility of a truly big fish taking your jig?
Old 07-14-2005, 12:25 AM

-I will match a reel to the rod unless i get the 9 footer because if i get the 9 footer i have a Black and Gold Penn 7500SS

-I usually throw Bucktails of 3/4 oz to 1oz with cigar sinkers at 1 1/2 ozs some times up to 2oz cigar sinkers when the current is moving extra fast

-Most likely will just be used in the inlet because i have another pole for surf fishing

-theres plenty of big stripers caught where i fish, Some one just caught a 30 pounder where i fish, and I caught a 30 inch blue fish last time time on my old pole (though i wouldn't consider that a real big fish)
Old 07-14-2005, 12:31 AM

Hi Deslok

As Suds mentioned the reel will make the difference in your decision.
The reason for the differences in rod length is this. With the longer rod and lower gear ratio reels you can really crank on and can apply that pressure over a longer lifting arc, thus retrieving more line and keeping heavy pressure on the fish. With a high speed reel the extra leverage provided by the shorter rod is needed.
So in theory lower gear longer rod and higher gear shorter rod.

I own this tica.
UEHA630502C 10'0"(3.05m) 2 466 12-30 2-8 FAST H B Graphite

I use it for chunking big bunker heads in the surf. It is outfitted with a Penn 9500SS series reel. It is a very heavy setup strictly for chunking big baits with, It is a very sturdy rod that I dont have any complaints at all with. This one you cant use for every aplication.
Definately not for throwing plugs with. Too heavy.
I use an 8 foot tsunami spinning rod for that. The price wont bust your budget either. I dont think that there is any one rod that suits all aplications.
One 6 foot or so stand up boat rod or trolling rod
One 8 foot spinning rod
One 9 foot baitcasting rod
and one 10 foot or bigger surfcasting rod
also White rods are a good idea for night time fishing.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:51 AM

I never knew the whole gear ratio and rod length thing, I appreciate that, will help me make a descision, so you haven't had any problems with your tica? Thats really what I wasgetting more of a feel for, thanks
Old 07-14-2005, 01:41 AM

Some people may cringe at this :eew: But I think the Tica line compares favorably with G-loomis.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:45 AM

sounds good, I'll make my own descison next week :)
Old 07-14-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Okuma Solaris

I think that the okuma Solaris 9 foot medium action rod would be perfect for you. It has plenty of bend and sensitivity for tossing jigs and light lures, but will also cast 3oz sinker and chunk well (it will handle more weight, but not cast it as well). It's light, casts artificials well, and has no problem with big blues and bass. S-902M-1 9' 0" 2 Medium 15 - 30 lbs. 1 - 4 oz. Briggs has this rod too that he uses strictly for artificials.
Fish USA shop
Old 07-14-2005, 11:32 AM

Dess i should have said that the heavy 10 - 12' bait chunking sticks compare favorably. These are considered the "el cheapo" rods. Tica. Tsunami and Okuma. Although very decent quality. These rods are great to start with. After a time you will upgrade to better if your inclined to spend the money. although not necessary.
The higher priced and sometimes 100 dollars higher IMO are not 100% better. After all it is the fisherman and the terminal tackle that catches the fish. The more expensive and better quality rods will last longer (possibly many years) like G-Loomis, star nickelite rods, st croix, and the top end daiwa even better are purvis and lamiglas