Brinkmans Philadelphia and Eastern Pa. area Fishing report - Page 3 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Delaware River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Delaware River A Forum for The Delaware River guys.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Brinkmans Philadelphia and Eastern Pa. area Fishing report

Nice. Sheepshead Bay or the Highlands?

Ray Im 15 minutes from Eschback in Dingmans.
I like to fish the pathway right before Eshback. Smallies and walleye. Otherwise I go south to Portland or as far as Reiglesville. Thats where Ive had success with stripers.
I fished Trenton twice without a bite. During the spring run I'm in the salt in NY. and maybe a trip or two to the Hudson and New Jersey. In the fall its back to NY and long Island.
I'd like to master Wallenpaupack but its proved tough from shore.
The DFG dump the hatchery fish in there in September.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2007, 08:44 PM

Jim,
You were close we went out of Staten Island. I am going fluking tomorrow (want to get one more day before th close of the season). I here ya about Walenpapack. I use to fish from boat but as I understand it the best bet is trolling or live Herring between the hours of 0100 and 0500.
Well have to get to bed to make the trip to the Highlands. I normaly go on the Prowler but am going to try the Fisherman tomorrow.
Ray
Old 08-30-2007, 08:45 PM

I noticed my spelling was off that was Fluke Fishing tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2007, 08:49 PM

I didnt recognize the Atlantic Princess.
She had a fire aboard her last year.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:53 PM

Thats the one. I do Security Consulting and one of the communities i consult for had an employee trip friday and we got invited.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:54 PM

I actually caught my first Striper on that boat in May.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:41 AM

Friday October 5th, 2007
Brinkmans bait and Tackle
Linden Ave
Philadelphia Pa.

WERE TO BE STOCKED IN THE PENNYPACK ON WEDNESDAY BUT DUE TO THE TRUCK BREAKING DOWN IT WAS NOT. I HEAR IT IS TO BE STOCKED NEXT THURSDAY BUT PLEASE IF YOU ARE INTERESTED PLEASE CALL THE COMMISSION AT 1-717-626-0228 FOR INFORMATION.

Myself I was able to get back up river again this past Tuesday with John to find the river again crystal clear and extremely low. I thought it was going to be a great day until I got to the river to see the wind blowing 10 miles and hour up river again. So we headed up to the start point and put out some minnows to make several drifts without a hit. The wind had allot to due with it moving the boat across the river and also keeping the bait below the boat during the drift. So I started throwing grubs. Now for the first couple of hours things were back and forth with minnows picking up a couple of fish and same with the grubs. One of the first fish I caught was a nice 18 1/2 inch 3 1/2 pound smallie on a minnow. One of Johns first fish on a minnow was a 4 to 5 pound catfish. But till dinner time things were very slow. After dinner we headed back up and fished with minnows for a couple of hours with no success. It was grubs then. Zooms were the ticket and by the end of the day we had 25 smallies and 3 catfish. Yes it is dropping off a little bit each week but I think the conditions of the wind and a low pressure system did not help matter. A couple more trips on the Delaware then I think I will be heading to the Susquehanna for a few trips. But if we don't get rain soon I'm not sure how I will be able to get around out there either.

Most everyone I talked this past week fishing the upper Delaware all are still catching fish but most say it is slowing up. Kevin was up just past New Hope picking up 47 fish on Sunday all on minnows. He tried the grubs most of the day and only caught a fish here and there. But with minnows he did very well picking up 4 fish over 16 inches. He also anchored up and fished for carp a couple of hours picking up three all about 6 pounds on cornmeal. Peter was us fishing the Bull's Island area just below the walk bridge picking up several smallies but did his best on small stripers. He was fishing minnows and twister tails. Last guy I talked to was wading the Treasure Island area and was a couple of times this week. Monday he caught 14 smallies and 9 catfish and Wednesday he had 11 smallmouth, 5 catfish and 2 stripers. He is fishing all minnows and said a couple of the bass were decent size. Up at the Water Gap a couple of guys were up last weekend doing very well on bass and walleyes. They fished Saturday night into Sunday and landed 19 smallies up to 17 inches and 7 walleyes up to 23 inches. They also had a mix of catfish and rockbass mixed in. Charlie is still fishing the Tohickon right above the Delaware. The past couple of weeks the creek has been so low the fishing has been way off. This week he fished were the creek dumps into the Delaware, just below Point Pleasant catching 9 smallies and 3 catfish. He fished all kinds of lures but found the grubs to work the best in the main river. He again thinks with a little rain the fish will start hitting back up in the creek. The Perkiomen has still been the best for amount of fish. Al was out on Sunday with minnows catching 75 fish total. He had a mix of smallies, rock bass, bluegills and pike. He was fishing just below Green Lane. A bit further down stream around the Skippack a couple of guys picked up over 100 fish on minnows. These guys said a few nicer fish were taken up to 15 inches. They tried all kinds of lures but found the fish hammering the minnows the best. And one customer that has been fishing by the prison told me that some bigger fish have been hitting on bigger minnows. He is fishing some 6 to 8 foot holes that are still left on the creek picking up a few fish up to 18 inches. He said one fish last week was close to 4 pounds. The Neshaminy has really slowed up for smallmouth bass but for bluegills and rock bass it has been smoking. Now the Susquehanna should be the best fishing for smallmouth bass but with the extreme low water not many guys have been heading out. One customer has been heading up each weekend to hunt but gets a couple of hours fishing on Sunday. He is wading around Williamsport. He says he has been able to pick up 20 to 30 smaller fish each week with a couple of 15 to 16 inch mixed in.

A few guys are telling me the bass fishing on the river has picked up this past week in Dredge Harbor. They were over Monday morning fishing with hair jigs, plastic worms, rattle traps and crankbaits picking up 19 largemouth bass, 2 crappies and a bunch of small white perch. The back by the pipes was the best fishing but they also did well around the creek mouth. Another report from the river was a bit further north by Trenton and the power plant. These guys were up fishing on Saturday fishing the high tide above the Route One Bridge. They were up bass fishing for largemouth finding the smallmouth bass fishing the best. Using grubs and plastic worms they picked up 20 fish up to 14 inches. They had to get out due to the water dropping so they went down and fished the power plant. Here they picked up 4 largemouth bass and lots of catfish. Here again the plastic worms were working the best. Fairless Hills has picked up for some better largemouth bass. One customer was up Sunday morning catching 6 smaller bluegills and with them he caught 3 largemouth bass up to 19 inches. He also had a couple run off missing the fish. Another customer was up with his son fishing from a boat. They were drifting nightcrawlers and minnows picking up 2 largemouth bass and 4 smaller walleyes. Rohm Haas for largemouth bass has still been pretty good. Here fishing in the morning has been your best bet with plastic worms. One customer picked up several packs of 7 inch power worms in pumpkinseed and black and chartreuse. The day before he caught 8 bass up to 3 pounds. Levittown Lake should be getting trout today or tomorrow but even without the stocking several guys have been doing very good on largemouth bass and bigger bluegills. The bass have been hitting on 6 and 7 inch plastic worms with slider heads. The guys that are getting the bluegills have been fishing with wax worms, meal worms and smaller minnows. Core Creek is another lake that should be getting trout but I'm not sure when. And with the screw up with the Pennypack I really don't want to say a thing. But here again they have been getting allot of smaller fish along the shore line. Crappies, perch and bluegills have been hitting small jigs, twister tails, spinners, meal worms, wax worms and earthworms. A couple of carp were even caught this past week on corn. These guys were looking for stray trout. Noxamixion this past week picked up in the main lake but the spillway has shut down. I think with the low water they stopped releasing water all together. One customer was up Friday night last week for several hours not having a hit and had a hard time finding water to fish in. But in the main lake the bass are starting to pick up with allot of crappies, perch and bluegills hitting also. I even heard of a couple of guys doing well on stripers fishing at night with surface lures. This did not come from the fisherman but a couple of guys that were talking to them at the ramp in the morning. They had 4 stripers in the live well up to 27 inches. He told me they had Zara Spooks tied on their rods while they were talking. The shopping center lake I only heard one report this past week. This couple that goes up a couple of times a week picked up several crappies, perch, catfish and bass. All they use is nightcrawlers. Nothing big but enough action to keep them coming back. A bit from south jersey, Union Lake has still been very good for perch, crappies, pickerel and bass. I have been really surprised how many nice smallmouth bass they are catching in this lake now. The group that heads here each weekend had a really good day last Saturday. They were fishing the islands for the bass and pickerel and did very well on plastic worms, plastic lizards and live minnows. In a full day of fishing they picked up 9 smallies, 16 largemouth, 11 pickerel and all kinds of smaller fish. They said several other boat were fishing around them and everyone was catching fish. Some of the bigger bass were 3 to 4 pounds. Allot of guys seem to be putting allot of time on Spruce Run doing very good on largemouth and smallmouth bass. Here they have been using allot of plastic worms and jigs. Here again some decent 3 to 5 pound fish are being caught. One customer was down to Pemberton doing very good on bigger pickerel. He was fishing the shore line with Mepp's spinners. Most of the fish were 14 to 18 inches. Another really good pickerel lake has been Lake Lenape. Here several guys have been out bass fishing finding the pickerel hitting better. Richie was down early in the week picking up 4 largemouth but also had 19 pickerel up to 17 inches. He was using spinner baits, plastic lizards and Rapala's. The last place that I heard anything on was Stone Tavern. A couple of guys were out fishing here Tuesday night have a pretty good evening on largemouth. The fished until 5 in the morning with jitterbugs, hula poppers, sputterbugs and buzz baits catching a total of 17 bass. The biggest was 21 inches close to 6 pounds but they said most of the fish were close to 3 pounds.

Saltwater action has been really good if you like bluefish. The beaches from south jersey all the was up to New York has been just loaded with blues. Most of the fish south have been smaller 1/2 to 1 1/2 pound fish but up north some bigger 5 to 10 fish move in this past week. Most of the fish have been hitting mullet, mackerel, spoons, diamond jigs and shad bodies. Off shore bluefishing has been very good on chum trips with either bait or diamond jigs with plastic tubes. Here they have been getting fish 3 to 15 pounds. The blackfishing has picked up off the jetties and around the bridges all up and down the coast. But as some cooler weather comes in this will just get better. Back bay striper fishing in Cape May and Wildwood has been very good on fish from 20 to 35 inches. Fred has been getting 10 to 20 fish each afternoon fishing with live mullet and spot. They are getting some fish on shad bodies and fin-s fish but the live bait has been the best. If you are looking for quality of fish the Cape May up into the Delaware Bay has been full of croakers and small porgies. Here they have been fishing with top and bottom rigs with either bloodworms, Fish Bites in bloodworm or squid and squid. Nothing big but the number have been really good. The sea bass fishing was one of the biggest disappointment this past week. Several guys fishing the jetties are getting a few really small fish and the off shore fishing was very slow with the 70 degree water temperatures. Now the warm water has made prime for tuna fishing. When the boat are able to get off shore they have had some really good trips for yellow fin tuna and dolphin. Here chunking and trolling has been good.

Well that is all I have time for this week. Hope you get out on this fantastic weekend coming up. And with the way the Phillies are playing you might as well get out and do some fishing.

Bill

FISHING TRIPS

Korr Productions PO Box 28139 Phila PA 19131 215-291-0638
Cape Cod, North Carolina, Eastern Shore and many more places
Most trips include Luxury Bus, Privately Chartered Boat, Tips for Mates and Bus Drivers, Rod and Reels, Bait Snacks, Beverages, Hats and T-Shirts
Informations at Brinkman's Bait and Tackle or Call Mr. Korr direct
Old 10-14-2007, 07:48 AM

Friday October 12 18th, 2007
Linden Ave
Philadelphia Pa.

All St. Croix avid fishing rods 20 % off while stocks last (Lifetime warranty)
Trout were stocked in the Pennyback on Thursday this week. The Wissahickon and Levittown were last week.

Well for myself I never was able to get out fishing this past week due to work. And with hunting and a couple of business shows that I have to head to I probably won't be getting out for a couple more weeks. Next week I will miss the report being away hunting over the weekend.
With the Pennypack not being stocked last week most everyone I talked to hit the Wissahickon and Levittown Lake. Both were very good for some nice size trout. Now I did not hear of any monsters but most guys were getting their limits of 12 to 14 inch fat fish. In the Wissahickon most guys did best with minnows, wax worms, meal worms and earthworms for live bait with spinners and bead head flies working very well for artificial. In Levittown they were using allot of minnows, power baits, wax worms and meal worms for live bait with Kastmasters and Phoebe Spoons working for artificial. And in this lake they also did very well on largemouth bass with a few crappies mixed in. I don't know if Core Creek got stocked or not but talking to several guys fishing the main lake the fishing has been pretty good for crappies, perch and catfish. One customer was up fishing rattle traps in the back cove picking up 4 largemouth bass and 2 catfish last Sunday. The bass were all 12 to 15 inches but both catfish were over 10 pounds. He also saw a couple of 8 pound carp caught in the same area on corn meal.
Up to the change of weather most of our business has still been hitting the smallmouth bass. The Delaware River has been one of the hottest spots to head. Kevin was up fishing out of Washington's Crossing this past Saturday picking up over 40 fish on live minnows and top water lures. Most of the fish were 8 to 12 inches but he did boat a couple of 16 inch fish. Jay was up wading on Monday saying the fish hit well when he first got there picking up 4 fish right away but it dropped off till dark. He did break off one big smallmouth on a minnow. Tony and his friends were up wading the Treasure Island area on Sunday and Tuesday doing very well both times. On Sunday they picked up 50 bass and 11 catfish. Tuesday they only had 24 smallies, 5 catfish and 2 stripers. All their fish were caught on live minnows. There was a big tournament up at Bryan this past weekend but I did not hear how they did as of yet. But one customer was up there on Saturday saying the fishing was tough on live bait but throwing large Fin-S fish boated him 9 decent bass. Now the Perkiomen all the way down into the Schuylkill River the smallmouth bass fishing has been extremely good. Up in the creek most of the fish being caught are on the smaller side but numbers are high. Timmy was up fishing below the Skippack on Friday picking up over 70 fish himself on minnows and grubs. He did not have a fish over 14 inches. Now down behind the prison there has some bigger fish caught up in the 15 to 18 inch range. These fish are being picked up in the deeper holes on minnows, spinners, grubs and poppers. A few guys fishing the Schuylkill are saying the numbers of bass have been pretty good but they like the size of allot of the fish that are being caught. One customer last week has 5 fish over 16 inches on live minnows. He said there are allot of smaller fish with a mix or rock bass and bluegills mixed in. Now the Susquehanna River should start picking up in both number and big fish but most guys I know that head this way have been holding back for some water. The past month the water level have been so low but after this week I think things are going to change.
Now the lower river has been picking up for catfish, stripers and largemouth bass. The catfishing has been really good the past couple of weeks. Several guys have been fishing in 15 to 25 feet of water picking up fish up to 8 pounds. Most of the guys are saying herring, shrimp and chicken livers have been working the best. But they are also using allot of nightcrawler, clams and all different kinds of soft catfish baits. And mixed in with the cats have been allot of 4 to 8 pound stripers. None of the really big fish that we have in the spring but fish worth going out for. Here herring, chicken livers and bloodworms have been working the best for bait. Now with all the baitfish around there are allot of guys throwing rattle traps, Zara spooks and Kastmaster under the baitfish for both stripers and largemouth. The largemouth bass back in Dredge Harbor, Salem Harbor, Neshaminy Marina, Tullytown Cove, Warner's Cove and the power plant have picked up real good with this cooler weather. These bass are starting to move back into these waters and have been hitting rattle traps, spinner baits, plastic worms, plastic lizards and jigs. One customer was back in Dredge this past Monday fishing with hair jigs with live minnows picking up 19 largemouth bass, 3 crappies and a whole bunch of white perch. Chartreuse and brown were the better colors. Another customer was out over the weekend fishing with slider worms and spinner baits catching 8 largemouth bass up to 3 pounds. He was up fishing in the Marina. And two different reports from the power plant. One guy was out on Saturday fishing with bait catching 2 stripers up to 24 inches, 4 largemouth bass on lures and all the catfish he wanted on bait. He said herring was working the best but he also caught fish on plastic worms, Rapala's, Bomber's and Rebel's. Chuck fishing down in the Salem area of the river with herring, nightcrawlers and bloodworms had a real good day last Sunday. He was out in the main river and picked up several stripers up to 27 inches, catfish up to 6 pounds and white perch up to a pound. And Alex was down fishing off the shoreline in the same area picking up allot of big white perch and also a snake head. This fish picked up a smaller white perch when he was reeling it in.
Down the shore the main talk has been bluefish. From smaller blues on the beaches south to big 8 to 12 pound fish hitting up north. These fish have been hitting mullet and metal the best. One report from the Longport Bridge last night with this customer picking up 1 weakfish, 9 bluefish and a small striper. He was fishing with Fin-S fish. Another customer was fishing the same bridge on Tuesday night and had several stripers up to 29 inches on bucktails and shad bodies, he landed 15 bluefish on a mix of rubber and metal and 2 weakfish on rubber. He told me he had 30 or more hits from bluefish just cutting him off. That is when he switched to metal. Up in the Delaware Bay some stripers are starting to pick up but most of these fish have been 20 to 25 inches. But for numbers the croaker fishing has still been very good on squid, clams and bloodworms. In the Ventnor, Margate, Atlantic City to North Wildwood there has been good number of kingfish and bluefish on the beach and piers. Bloodworms and mullet have been the better two baits. Off shore tuna fishing has still been very good but the winds coming for the weekend will stop the boats from heading out. But till then the yellow fin and dolphin bite has been fantastic. The dolphin have been picked up trolling and casting the structure with most of the tuna on chunk baits and diamond jigs. Now down south in the Chesapeake the spots, croakers and smaller porgies have been hitting in great numbers. Bloodworms, Fish Bites, squid and clams are what most guys are fishing with. And up north in Massachusetts the big porgies are picking up each week. One customer was up early this week filling up a couple of coolers with 2 pound porgies caught on bloodworms and clams.
Now to some of the lakes. Rohm Haas has been holding it own for largemouth bass. Most everyone I talked to this past week is catching plenty of 2 to 3 pound fish on plastic worms, spinner baits and rattle traps. One customer picked up a nice 22 inch fish over 5 pounds on a plastic worm last Monday. The shopping center lake is starting to drop off a bit but it still has been pretty good for perch, crappies, bluegills and bass. Live bait has been the ticket with most guys using small minnows and worms. A customer was down fishing Roosevelt Lake down by the sports complex picking up some crappies and bluegills on small twister tails and trout magnet. Noxamixion spillway has still been slow but the lake has been very good. Several guys have been bass fishing around the dam picking up fish on live bait, spinner baits, medium depth crankbaits, jigs, and plastic worms. Both largemouth and smallmouth bass are being caught. And if you are fishing the structure and around the docks they are also getting allot of crappies, perch and bluegills on small twister tails and tubes. One customer was up fishing Fairless Hills this past Tuesday bass fishing no success. He tried mostly plastics and fished for several hours. He did see a couple of fish caught all out by the boat fisherman. Union Lake has still been very good for largemouth, smallmouth, crappies, perch and pickerel. The guys were only down one day last week but did very good fishing the shore line with plastic worms, spinner baits, jigs and Rapala's. The picked up 7 decent bass 11 pickerel up to 19 inches and a limit of crappies and perch. And the last report came from Dennisville which is down below 55. These guys were out looking for big bass to find tons of big pickerel. The did get a couple of bass 2 pounds or so but they boated over 25 pickerel up to 20 inches. They found 5 inch twister tails to work the best.

Well that is all I have time for again this week. Enjoy this nice weather change.

Bill
Old 01-23-2008, 10:12 AM

Friday January 18th, 2008
Linden Ave
Philadelphia Pa.

ALL ST. CROIX AVID FISHING RODS 20 % OFF WHILE STOCK LASTS ( LIFETIME WARRANTY )
2008 FISHING LICENSE ON SALE!!!!!!

I guess everyone can tell I'm home from vacation. This is pretty easy just look how cold it has gotten. Every year we leave some of the nicest weather here to head to the islands and the week after we come home the weather always gets extremely cold. Oh well!! We did have a great vacation with fantastic weather and again no fishing. They were doing allot of fishing right off the surf where we were at catching all kinds of smaller tropical fish on shrimp and spoons. And I talked to several guys that were fishing off shore for bill fish not catching a fish all were. It is really not the season for bill fish in Jamaica. But the boats still run. Us we sat on the beach, drank and stuffed ourselves for 9 days.
Now I wish I had more to report but there has not been that many guys fishing the past couple of weeks. But if you do head out in the lower Delaware Jon has been fishing over in Dredge Harbor catching some really good size yellow perch. He was out several times last week with 40 to 100 fish each trip out. Now usually they catch a mix of crappies and bass over there but John said it was only yellow perch. Sam has been up fishing Tullytown Cove and said just there is only crappies hitting up here. He was up three times last week and is fishing with minnows, wax worms and jigs picking up 20 to 40 crappies each trip up. And he has not caught a bass or yellow perch at all. Most of these fish have been 12 to 14 inches. One customer was up the power plant fishing off the bank picking up several catfish and carp on worms. He has been looking for bass or walleyes but will take any action he can get. Up above at Bull's Island, New Hope and Bryan when the river is down they have been catching some nice size walleyes. A couple of guys have caught several fish 4 to 6 pounds on minnows, worms, jigs and bucktails. And back down in the lower river at Salem they have been catching some nice size white perch with a small striper mixed in here and there. Bloodworms are the best bait but very hard to find this time of the year. Other than that they have been fishing with minnows, nightcrawlers, shrimp and squid.
Trout were restocked in Levittown Lake last Tuesday and most everyone I talk to is doing very good on chunky rainbows. They say most everyone is catching a limit of fish in a couple of hours using meal worms, wax worms, minnows, power baits and Kastmasters. And in the warmer weather last week there were several crappies picked up also. And trout were also restocked in Core Creek on Tuesday and talking to several guys the fishing has been pretty good. Now most say 1 or 2 trout a day is common but a nice mix of crappies, perch and bass are still hitting. Meal worms, wax worms, minnows and power baits have been the best to use. And one report from the Pennypack comes from Allen who was over last Tuesday at Woodward Avenue picking up 2 trout and 4 bluegills on Olive Cone Head flies. He said he fished a mile or so of the creek and spend close to 8 hours catching those fish. He said the creek is extremely low.
Several guys fishing south jersey are doing great on pickerel, perch, crappies and even some largemouth bass. Lake Lenape has been good for pickerel with live minnows and spinners. But down in the Egg Harbor River just below the dam of this lake there are several nice white and yellow perch and pickerel hitting. Minnows and shiners have been the best baits but some guys are doing pretty good with wax worms and grass shrimp. The Mullica River at Batso has been really good for crappies in the early morning and once the sun get up high the pickerel take over. Minnows and twister tails have been working the best here. A couple of guys have been heading down to Collins Cove looking for white perch but have only found smaller pickerel. Now they have caught a few perch but only a few. They say the pickerel are 10 to 14 inches and have been tearing up their minnows. One customer fishing the spillway at Atison caught several 14 to 18 inch pickerel all on minnows. He has been up fishing the main lake but has not done very well.
The local lakes have been very slow. A couple of guys have been up to Rohm Haas not doing anything. Churchville should be pretty good for crappies and perch under the bridge but everyone is telling me that there are so many no fishing signs now they don't want to take any chances fishing these waters. The shopping center lake has been slow but a few crappies have been caught. Several guys fishing the spillway at Noxamixion have been catching a walleye here and there but that is the only thing I have heard from this lake. Fairless Hills has been pretty much dead. Now if you are a club member Penn Warner has been really good for bass, walleyes, pike, crappies and perch. Guys still fishing in boats have been doing as well as the guys wading and fishing off the docks. The pike and bass have been hitting jigging spoons, Kastmaster and jigs. The walleyes have been caught on twister tails, minnows and worms. The perch and crappies have been hitting on minnows, wax worms, twister tails, spinners and small jigs.
The last thing has been what little saltwater action. This has been weather related with heavy winds keeping the off shore boats docked up. But when they can get out some monster sea bass have been caught in 100 to 150 of water. Some of these fish are weighing up to 5 pounds. There are a mix of ling and whiting being caught also. Inshore the blackfishing has been very good with several 10 to 14 pound fish taken. There was a fish over 20 pounds caught a week or so ago.
Well that is all I have for you. I hope to be back to every other week now. This is a good time to start checking out your equipment to see if any repairs need to be done. Check all your guides and tips and if there are problems get them in now while we are slow. If you wait till trout season it may take 2 or more weeks to get them back.
Bill
RECORD AMERICAN SHAD CAUGHT - http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/33943.html.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:08 PM

Friday March 7 th, 2008
Linden Ave
Philadelphia Pa.

Bloodworms in stock now
Price is still 9.50 per dozen

We brought bloodworms back in stock this past week and several dozen have gone out but so far no reports of any stripers caught in the river as of yet. Now several guys have taken worms down to Salem and the lower Mulica river and have been catching nice size white perch. Some of these perch are over a pound. The only really good reports I have been hearing has come from down river around the Commodore Barry Bridge for catfish. Paul has been fishing with chicken livers picking up plenty of smaller catfish. He has had a few days with over 20 fish. His biggest this spring was over 8 pounds. And the few guys this week that went over to Dredge picked up a few yellow perch on live minnows. They said the numbers were way down but most of the fish they caught were all around a pound. Off Station Avenue this week I only heard of one smaller catfish taken. A couple of guys were up to Camac Street fishing with herring and clams picking up a few catfish. And the last good spot has been the power plant at Trenton with these fisherman picking up a few walleyes, crappies, catfish and gizzard shad. There has been several guys looking for American shad but again so far no luck. The whole upper river is extremely high and muddy after the rain on Wednesday and after tonight's and tomorrow's rain I think it will be a complete mess.
With trout fishing closed nobody has been able to fish Core Creek, Levittown Lake or the Pennypack Creek. And don't forget the season down here opens March 29th a little earlier than years past. The rest of the state opens April 12th. You have to check you rule book for the dates of the spot that you fish.
Now some of the better places to fish that are not stocked with trout. Fairless Hills lake has been one of the best spots to fish right now. Several guys have been going up to this lake catching crappies, perch, walleyes and largemouth bass. Calvin was up on Monday fishing with minnows and small tubes picking up 20 crappies and 2 bass. He said most of the crappies were 10 to 12 inches but both bass were smaller. Another customer has been going up each afternoon with wax worms and small marabou jigs catching 10 to 25 fish each day. He again said most of the crappies have been decent size and he has been picking up a perch here and there. The couple of better bass I know of were caught on rubber skirted jigs and pork trailers in deeper water. Timmy was up flipping jigs last weekend picking up only two bass but both were over 4 pounds. He said any black and natural combo was working the best. The last report was from a customer that was up drifting minnows along the shore line doing well on all kinds of fish. He said in a couple of hours caught 1 walleye, 4 crappies, 2 bluegills and 1 bass. He said most of the fish were on the smaller side but the action made him happy. Roosevelt Lake has been the next best spot I am hearing anything from. Here they have been picking up bluegills, crappies, bass and snakeheads. It seems the snakeheads are slowly taking over this lake and several of these guys are now down targeting these fish just to get rid of them. They have been picking up most of the snakehead on surface poppers and shallow crankbaits. The bluegills and crappies have been picking up on minnows, mealworms and trout magnets. A couple of guys have been fishing the lower Poquessing Creek picking up a few smaller largemouth bass and suckers. They have been using earthworms for the suckers and minnows for the largemouth bass. The lower Pennypack Creek is showing a few suckers right below Torresdale Avenue. One customer was down Tuesday morning picking up 4 suckers, 1 catfish and even a 16 pound carp. He caught all these fish on nightcrawlers. The last place I have heard anything from has come from the spillway at Noxamixion. Jim was up on Saturday and Tuesday this week picking up several keeper size walleyes on chartreuse twister tails. Both days he came home with 3 fish for the frying pan.
South Jersey has been another good spot to head in all the lakes and rivers. I talked to several guys that are fishing Lake Lenape and the Little Egg Harbor river catching all kinds of bass, pickerel, perch and crappies. Now in the river they have been catching yellow perch and pickerel on minnows, twister tails, sassy shads and spinners. In the lake they have been getting pickerel and bass on buzz baits, spinner baits, twister tails and rapala's. Rich caught some of the nicest fish last Friday landing two bass both over 4 pounds and several pickerel 20 to 22 inches. Union Lake has been another really good spot to head for bigger crappies along the dam, bass and pickerel along the islands. Nick and Kevin were down over the weekend drifting along the dam with twister tails, marabou jigs, trout magnets, meal worms and wax worms. They fish all day long and caught over 40 crappies 8 to 15 inches. The biggest two fish were both over a pound. Now they talked to several other guys that were out on the main lake and it seemed everyone caught fish. One guy had three bass in his boat that were caught on Rapala's and he also said he caught 4 pickerel. The other guy they talked to released 5 largemouth bass up to 14 inches and lots of pickerel. The Mulica river for pickerel has been pretty good in the cove across from Crowley's landing. Here the best things to use is yellow and chartreuse twister tails, Rapala's, spinners and live minnows. The last place in jersey is Spruce Run. This customer was up fishing off the shore line last weekend. He only caught one smallmouth bass but this fish was 16 1/2 inches about 5 pounds. He had several guys go by him in boats all saying they were only catching a few bass and pickerel.
Saltwater action has been really slow most due to the weather. The high winds the past couple of weeks has keep the boats from going off shore. But if you do get a window of good weather they off shore boats have been doing great on sea bass 3 to 5 pounds with a few cod and ling mixed in. Several guys have been down fishing some of the bridges from Cape May up to Sea Isle but not one guy has done a thing. They are all looking for the first striper of the season. And the boats going out of Cape May have been fishing some of the inshore wreaks picking up smaller sea bass and blackfish. Other than that the shore has been a bust.
Well that is all I have for you this week. I hope to start putting this report up each week real soon but I need some more things to write about to do so. I have not gotten a reports in over a month in my e-mail box. So please if you do get out let me know what you did and where you did it at. EITHER WAY!!

Bill

Monday 7:00 am to 6:00 pm
Tuesday 7:00 am to 6:00 pm
Wednesday 7:00 am to 6:00 pm
Thursday 7:00 am to 6:00 pm
Friday 7:00 am to 7:00 pm
Saturday 7:00 am to 5:00 pm
Sunday 7:00 am to 4:00 pm
Old 03-27-2008, 01:19 AM

Friday March 28, 2008
Linden Ave
Philadelphia Pa.

STRIPERS HAVE STARTED IN THE DELAWARE RIVER!!!!
Well I broke down this week and put the boat into the river only to see if it would run. Well I was surprised when it kicked over the first time so I went out to see if I could pick up my first striper. Well after three hours of fishing and 4 different moves the one catfish I landed kept me from being shut out. Now I talked to several guys that were fishing off the dock at Linden Avenue all day and they had only caught a nice 8 pound catfish. With trout season coming up this weekend I won't be seeing the river for close to a month. Oh well!! Water temperature was 44 degrees.
Now over all this week I ended up hearing of 8 different keepers in this section of the river. All off the shore line and all caught on bloodworms. Two of the fish were from Station Avenue, three from Linden Avenue, one from Princeton and one from the arsenal. The biggest I heard so far was a 33 inch fish about 14 pounds. Now down below several guys have been doing much better but still allot of smaller fish are mixed in. Kevin was down fishing the flats just below the bridge picking up two 28 inch fish before landing a nice 36 inch 23 pound fish that he had to release since he had two in the live well. He also caught 9 fish down to 15 inches, 4 catfish and a couple of white perch. He said the bloodworms were working the best. Several guys have been fishing the river down by the U P S building and I'm getting all kinds of mixed reports. Several guys are telling me they are catching all of smaller fish, some guys are picking up a keeper here and there and most are saying they have not caught a fish. But it is looking better and better each week and with a warmer week coming up I hope to see more fish caught this coming weekend.
Other report from the Delaware. Several guys have been over to Dredge and most are saying with the muddy water they have not done well on the perch, crappies or bass. Now most are saying they have not been shut out but say you have to work for 5 or 6 fish in several hours of fishing. But minnows fished under a slip bobber has still been working the best. One customer was up fishing off the docks at the Neshaminy marina and had a good day on crappies. He was fishing tubes right along the docks and caught 19 fish up to a pound. He said white and chartreuse were the best two colors with a 1/32 head. He tried to fish the rocks on the jettie but did not pick up a fish. Several guys have been up the Trenton power plant and they say the American shad are hitting in good numbers here. Most have been using shad spoons and shad darts picking up fish 2 to 5 pounds. Even at Yardley they have picked up some shad from boats fishing up by the wing dam and even from the boat ramp. Here your numbers will drop but I weighed in two fish last weekend that were 4 pounds each. Talking to one of the guides that has been fishing from Byran north is saying the walleye fishing has really turned on. He has had some days with 15 to 20 fish and even landed a 11 pound fish last week. One customer was fishing off the New Hope wing dam picking up 5 walleyes with twister tails. He was fishing the slack water on the jersey side.
With trout season closed no reports from Levittown Lake, Core Creek, Pennypack Creek, Wissahickon Creek or the Canal but that season will open this coming Saturday at 8 in the morning. You will be able to keep 5 fish 7 inches or bigger this year.
Fairless Hills lake has still been very good for crappies, perch, bluegills, bass and pike. Several guys have been doing extremely good on crappies with minnows, meal worms, wax worms and small twister tails. Some guys are catching 10 to 20 fish each day. One other customer was up yesterday picking up one largemouth bass 18 inches and one small pike 21 inches. He had both these fish on spinners. Now from what I heard on this lake is that is going to be a catch and release lake starting April 1st. This is word of mouth from a customer that heard it from one of the rangers. Time will tell. Rohm Haas was slow this week with several guys heading up looking for both bass or crappies and they all had no luck. One customer was even able to snag a few gizzard shad and drifted them all over the lake and never had a hit. Roosevelt Lake has still been pretty good for crappies and bass. One customer was down last Sunday with minnows and meal worms catching 5 bass that he had to release and 9 crappies that he brought home with him. I weighed in one of the fish at 1.1 pounds. Nice fish.
Saltwater action has been extremely slow. One the weather has not allowed allot of the boats to get out off shore so the sea bass and blackfish reports have been bad. Now several guys have been fishing the surf at Fortasque and Reed's Beach catching allot of small stripers with bloodworms and clams. But I did not hear of one keeper taken. At Cape May Point I had one customer that was down fishing with bloodworms, clams and mullet. Him and his some fished all weekend without a hit. Hereford's Inlet one customer was down fishing off the jetties picking up some small blackfish. He was down to catch stripers but after throwing shad bodies for several hours he started fishing with squid in the rocks. He had 3 fish to keep and had to release another 4. And I talked to several guys that have been up fishing the beaches at Sandy Hook and other than a small striper here and there it has been dead. I just talked to a customer that was out on a charter boat in Cape May. They had a day with 44 stripers up to 32 inches. All these fish were caught on clams.
South Jersey lakes have been one of the best fishing in the area. One customer did get down to Union Lake on Tuesday and said he had a real good day on pickerel and bass. He was drifting minnows along the shore line with a bobber. He said he would have like to try for crappies but the wind had the lake so rough he had to duck into the coves to catch the fish he did. Lake Lenape has still been very good for bass and pickerel. These guys have been down using allot of spinner baits, plastic worms, Rapala's and shallow crankbaits. And in the river below some good yellow perch have been caught. Now they are not getting any big numbers but some nice size fish have been caught. Minnows have been working the best here. One customer was down to Carnage picking up 4 bass, 1 pickerel and a limit of crappies. He did have one bass over 5 pounds picked up on a pig and jig. The Mullica river out of Crowley's landing this customer heading down towards the bay. He was fishing the main river for stripers and had 3 fish in the boat with one keeper. He landed this fish on a big shiner. They he headed back to the ramp and stopped off at one of the canals around the house. Here he threw out shiner with bobbers and caught 9 pickerel up to 20 inches. The last report is from Spruce Run. These guys were out last weekend getting ready for a bass tournament. They started fishing right off the ramp with Senko worms, Zoom lizards and suspending stick baits. They fished from 7 in the morning to 12 and landed 14 largemouth bass up to 3 pounds and 3 smallies up to 5 pounds. Most of the fish were on the stick baits.
Well that is all I have for you this week. I know I'm a little early but with trout opening on Saturday I have to do it now or never. I will be back each week now and I'm still looking for a little help with reports sent in when you can.
Bill
Old 04-05-2008, 02:52 PM

Brinkmans Bait and Tackle
Linden Ave
Philadelphia Pa.
Friday April 4, 2008

Well another opening of trout season has come and gone. Normally we have extremely wet weather but this year we managed a dry weekend but a very cold one. And with the real cold nights most guys said the fishing early in the mornings was slow but the fish turned on later in the day. Overall the Pennypack creek was some of the best fishing for most. We only weighted in two trout this year a 5.4 pound palomino on opening day and a 3.1 pound rainbow on Monday. I heard of a few more bigger trout but did not see them. Some of the better places this year was at Welsh Road, Rhawn Street, Boulevard, Woodward Road, Veree Road, Krestown Road and Pine Road. Some o the best baits were wax worms, meal worms, earthworms, yellow and rainbow power baits and corn. Some of the best lures were Rooster Tails, Panther Martins, C P Swings, Kastmasters, Pin's Minnows and Trout Magnets. I would say most guys were able to catch their limits but I did have several guys catch 15 to 45 fish each day. Now that was just the better fisherman that fish the creek all the time. And with them restocking the creek yesterday I think this will be a good weekend coming up. The Wissahickon is another really good spot but I only heard one report back from there. This customer said there was plenty of fish in the creek but he found with the cold weather they were really hard to catch. He ended up picking up most of his fish on salted minnows and live minnows. One Saturday he picked up 7 rainbows, Sunday he got a late start and ended the day with 21 rainbows and 1 palomino. For lakes Levittown Lake is one of the best places to head with most of the trout being caught on wax worms, meal worms, power baits, Kastmasters, Thompson Spoons, and Rooster Tails. Here again most everyone did well but a few of the locals were able to pick up 10 to 20 trout each day. Core Creek was really good for a couple of customers that fished the upper end of the lake. These guys were fishing with chartreuse power bait, wax worms, earthworms and spinners. And they also had a nice mix of crappies and perch mixed in during the day. A few guys that were down fishing the lower end by the dam said the fishing was slow. One customer fished all Saturday and Sunday only catching 3 trout and a bunch of crappies. One other customer fished on Saturday catching 3 rainbows on wax worms fished under a bobber. The last place for trout I heard from was the upper Neshaminy Creek up by Dark Hollow Road. Dennis was up for opening day and also went back on Sunday. Two day total was 48 trout a mix of rainbow and browns. He also had one nice 15 inch brook trout. He found a mix of corn, wax worms, meal worms and minnows to work the best. And he told me if you are looking to get away from the crowd this is one of the best places to head. Saturday he only had 15 guys in his area, Sunday just 4.
The striper season on the river closed this past Monday for keeping fish. Now that does not mean you still can not fish and release. The last keeper size fish I heard of was a 33 inch fish taken last Friday and a 35 inch fish on Sunday. But with the cold weather and the heavy winds we been having there were very few reports this week. I was even going to head out for a couple of hours on Wednesday but with the winds blowing over 20 miles an hour I decided to stay home. In the lower river I talked to several guys that have been fishing below the Commodore Barry Bridge last weekend have a couple of good catches on smaller fish. They did not have any keeper size fish but both times they had over 30 fish. All the fish were caught on bloodworms. They also had quite a few catfish. One other customer that was down around the C and D canal fishing with bloodworms, herring, shad strips and chicken livers. He picked up 17 stripers, 14 white perch and a bunch of eels and catfish. Again no keeper size stripers. Other river reports are coming from Dredge Harbor for yellow perch and bass. This customer was over on Sunday picking up a bunch of perch and 4 largemouth bass fishing with live minnows on a chartreuse bucktail. He was fishing both sides of the pipes. A few guys were up fishing the Neshaminy Creek at the mouth picking up largemouth bass with nightcrawler along the rocks of the jettie. The cove is also been good for largemouth bass and crappies fishing the piling with minnows and jigs. In the Trenton Area at the power plant the shad fishing has been really good for the bank fisherman inside the cove. The have been using allot of spoons and darts. The boats have been staying right outside the cove picking up shad also. And I even heard of a couple of herring caught there last Sunday. Now that was only a couple. Up at the bridges they are dead sticking spoons and picking up some shad also. None of these guys have seen any stripers as of yet. Now at Yardley they are starting to pick up some shad along the islands with shad spoons and darts. A bit further up river at Bull's Island and above they are still picking up some good catches of walleyes. John was up there on Friday last week along the wall boating 5 fish up to 5 pounds. And talking to the guide who is still catching 10 or better fish each trip out. He has had several fish over 8 pounds this year. Most of these fish are being caught on minnows, nightcrawlers, bucktails, twister tails and crankbait.
Now Rohm Haas is getting better and better each week with the bass starting to move into the shallow water to spawn. A few guys were up early in the week fishing plastic worms along the edges picking up some smaller bass. They then switched off to rattle traps and started to fish off shore and found a few 3 and 4 pound largemouth. Up at Fairless Hills the fishing for perch, crappies has still been very good with minnow, wax worms, meal worms, twister tails and spinners. And they have been picking up some pike up there with large spinners and minnows. Roosevelt Lake this week was slow for bass but they said the crappie fishing really picked up and some bigger fish started to hit. Ray was down fishing with trout magnets and 2 inch twister tails picking up over 50 fish one day. He had several 13 to 15 inch fish this week. The Poquessing Creek right by the falls with nightcrawlers brought a few nice bass for one of our customers. He was up a couple different times and caught fish each time. He said there are allot of suckers starting to move in the creek and most are staying below the State Road Bridge. Charlie was just in telling me that fishing the upper Tohickon was really good for a mix of fish. He was up looking for trout but did much better on rock bass, bluegills and even smallmouth bass. He did pick up 2 rainbows in the mix. Most of the fish he said were caught on spinners and jigs. The Perkiomen is another place I talked to guys that headed up for trout and found the fishing better for panfish and small smallmouth bass.
Saltwater action had not changed much the past couple of weeks. Winds have still been blowing a gale and most off shore trips have been keep at the docks. But when they do get out there has been some good sea bass, cod and ling fishing. They are also picking up a few tile fish up north. The Delaware Bay has been very good for stripers but so far most of the fish have been on the smaller side. Talking to one charter boat captain yesterday who has been fishing the rips, Cape May Point and up the bay has been catching allot of 20 to 25 inch fish. Now they have been catching some fish to put in the box but most of these fish are just legal. A few customers were down fishing off Fortasque on Monday picking up a bunch of stripers on clams and bloodworms but again they did not have a legal fish. Reeds beach is one of the only places that I have heard of any keeper fish taken. Here last week they had several fish 30 to 33 inches caught on clams.
Quick update. John just called me from the creek at 10 Friday morning telling me the creek is just a little higher than normal and a bit off color. He had caught 17 fish up to that time. So if we don't get any heavy storms this weekend may still be good to get out.

SUMMER Hours
Monday 6:00 am to 7:00 pm
thru
Friday 6:00 am to 7:00 pm
Saturday 5 am to 5:00 pm
Sunday 5:00 am to 4:00 pm
Old 05-13-2008, 03:38 AM
Reports and Info Dude
Got a Little Captain in you?

Linden Ave
Philadelphia Pa.
Friday May 2, 2008

Finally got to Trenton on Tuesday and I should have stayed at home. We got there a bit late but fishing at the bridges, above the bridges, at the marina and the power plant boated me nothing. There had to be 10 boats fishing for over 2 hours and I only seen one herring and one perch caught the hole time. So we came back down river and picked up some clams and frozen herring and headed out of Linden Avenue. We had a very windy day and the river was rough so the bites were hard to pick up. We fished for about 4 hours and only caught 3 catfish. All were about 4 pounds. Wednesday Helen decided to stay home again so I got a late start. I was on the river by lunch time with frozen herring, clams and bloodworms. As soon as I got to my spot I picked up 4 catfish 2 to 4 pounds. Then I hooked a big striper and while fighting this fish my other rod went down with a big fish. I had to reach over and break that fish off or chance loosing both fish. I landed a 42 1/2 in 40+ pound striper. My second big fish of the year. I was so excited I sent the rod back out without checking the leaded and 5 minutes later I hooked another big fish that broke me off in the first minute. When I checked the leaded it was all nicked up. I caught one other 25 inch fish and for the next 3 hours I only caught catfish. I ended the day with 3 stripers and 16 catfish. The weather is looking much better for next week so I hope this will be the week for more fish and better herring fishing.
Now everyone I talk to is catching plenty of stripers. A customer was just in that fished yesterday with his son picking up one 36 inch and another 43 inch striper with big 8 pound catfish. He was fishing fresh herring right over by the Rancocas Creek. John was up at Trenton yesterday only picking up one striper and several catfish on live and chunk herring. He was able to pick up 40 herring in several hours of fishing. And I saw a picture of a 50+ pound striper that was caught down below Chester on a strip herring. This fish was 48 inches. Frank was out with fresh clams on Monday catching 2 fish over 36 inches between the Tacony and Betsy Ross bridges. He also caught over 20 catfish up to 8 pounds. Another customer was out in front of Station Avenue last weekend landing two big stripers 35 and 38 inches. They picked them up on cut herring. And off the shore at Station Avenue and Camrac Street a few bigger stripers were caught this past week on herring and bloodworms. I seen a picture of a 41 inch 35 pound fish taken on a live herring. Talking to several guides that have been fishing at Trenton all telling me that fishing over all has been slow. Bait has been a hit or miss thing and when they do get bait most of the fish have been 20 to 30 inches. It seems that most of the big fish have not gotten that far on the river as of yet. The shad fishing has still been very good at Trenton and they have caught shad as high as Narrowsburg this past week. At Trenton allot of the shad have been caught on sabiki rigs and spoons. The best sabiki has been the red hooks if you are just looking for shad. Spoons colors have been chartreuse, orange and pink. A few guys were up over the weekend fishing at New Hope picking up 25 shad on darts and spoons right below the wing dam. Cal was up to the water gap picking up several shad fishing just before dark each day over the weekend. He fished during the early part of the day foe smallies and walleyes only catching a few fish on minnows, jigs and spoons. The first couple of shad have shown up at Callicoon a week ago but most of the better fishing is yet to come in the next month or so. Several other reports on the river for smallies all have been quite slow. Kevin was up fishing right below Regilesville only catching a couple of smaller fish on minnows. He has been out the past couple of weeks looking for fish moving in to spawn but only has caught 10 to 14 inch fish. John has been fishing out of Bryan telling me the same with smaller fish along the wall. He has been catching most of his fish on Zoom grubs. He was up above Point Pleasant but did nothing in the fast water. Yardley a customer was up fishing on Sunday with minnows only catching a few catfish and one carp. He was right were the creek come out of town. And the lower river a few guys were over to Dredge Harbor picking up a few smaller largemouth bass by the pipes with plastic lizards, plastic worms and grubs. A few guys have been taking advantage of the Neshaminy Marina being closed fishing along the docks for bass and crappies. They are catching fish with plastic worms, grubs, jigs, minnows and worms. They are also catching bass and catfish with nightcrawlers along the jettie. Drifting a nightcrawler under a bobber or with a split shot with the tide has been working the best.
The saltwater action has been good up and down the coast for bluefish but that has been pretty much it. They have been getting blues from Sandy Hook down to Cape May. The fish have been hitting more on the beaches than off shore. Guys have been fishing mackerel, mullet and herring on top and bottom rigs. They have also been throwing allot of Kastmaster, Gator Spoons, Krocks, Cripple Herring and bucktails. Blackfish closed now so if you want to go off shore you will be sea bass fishing. That has been pretty good but most guys are saying with the rough water the past couple of weeks most boats have not gotten out. The fish they have been catching are 2 to 3 pound fish. From time to time they will catch a cod or pollock. Now if you are looking for cod you have to head to Massachusetts. The Helen Ann boat was out last Friday and the customer that were out said the fishing was the best. The all caught 10 to 30 pound cod with allot of big porgies to fill the coolers. Most guys said the porgie fishing has been the best ever this year. They have even caught a few tile fish on these trips also. Down in the Delaware Bay there is allot of smaller stripers but everyone is saying a keeper is hard to come by. Bug Light this past week a few guys were out looking for bass but only caught smaller bluefish. At the rips several boat were out catching plenty of 20 to 28 inch bass. Here they have been using allot of bucktails, jigs and clams. A few guys were at Reed's Beach this week and they did not have a good trip. 4 guys fished all day on Sunday with clams, mullet, bloodworms and mackerel not catching a fish. They did have a couple of run offs but again never hooked a fish. The upper end of the Chesapeake Bay has been very good for stripers al the way up to the flats coming out of the Susquehanna river. Here they have been catching fish from 15 inches up to 40 pounds. One customer was up the Mullica river just below Colin's Cove picking up a few 20 pound stripers with live herring. The caught their herring up at May's Landing and took them back to the shore looking for big stripers. Over the weekend they had 4 keeper size fish for 3 guys with a few throw backs.
Now with the stripers in the river allot of guys are not fishing the lakes in the area. Charlie again told me that Rohm Haas has still been very good for 1 to 3 pound bass on plastic worms, plastic lizards, rattle traps and spinner baits. One customer was up picking up 6 fish in an afternoon all 12 to 14 inches. He caught them all on power worms. He friend was up the next only catching 2 fish but one was 4 pounds. He again was using power worms. The shopping center lake a few guys were up only catching a few bluegills with worms. The ponds down the street allot of fathers last weekend took kids down and they all caught bluegills and catfish. I heard a club put allot of catfish in the last pond after a tournament a couple of weeks ago. Noxamixion Bob and his wife were up catching allot of largemouth bass with buzz baits early in the day. They were up on Wednesday catching most of the fish before 9 when the wind came up and made the quite fishing. They had allot of 14 to 17 inch fish. They talked to several guys that were fishing off the docks saying the catfishing has been real good with chicken livers and nightcrawlers. Fairless Hill for crappies and perch has been real good using wax worms, meal worms and small jigs. These guys have been fishing each morning for the past couple of weeks. The Poquessing Creek there has been allot of largemouth bass moving in from State Road up to the falls. They have been using nightcrawlers, minnows, shiners, spinner baits, plastic worms and spinners. Most of the fish have been 13 inches up to 4 pounds. A few guys have been down Station Avenue and Linden Avenue trying to lure herring in with spinner baits and from time to time they land a nice largemouth bass. One smallie was caught last week over 3 pounds. Several smaller tournaments have been held on Penn Warner and they have caught some real nice largemouth and smallmouth bass with a few really big northern pike the past week. Fred was up throwing a big Mepp's spinner picking up a 42 inch northern last Friday. And Buzz has been wading the shore line at Penn Warner catching allot of bass 2 to 4 pounds with rattle traps, spinner baits and spoons. Remember these lakes are private. Down south jersey only one report back from Lake Lanape with this customer picking up several 15 to 20 inch pickerel with 4 inch white and yellow twister tails fishing the shore line. He was looking for bass but only caught pickerel.
Trout fishing has still been very good over at the Pennypack creek. One of the regular trout guys came in on Sunday with a 5 pound palomino caught at Solly Avenue on a trout magnet. Ray has been fishing off of Woodward Avenue catching 3 to 5 fish each day on chartreuse power baits and wax worms. He said everyone is still doing very well from there to the Boulevard. Up at Pine Road they are still getting allot of fish just below the parking area in the first hole. I had several guys tell me these fish are hitting spinners, jigs and meal worms the best. Up at Lamaur Park they had the big kids tournament last weekend and there are still allot of nice size fish in this section. Up here they have been fishing with wax worms, meal worms, nightcrawlers, power baits and spinners. There are a few bigger fish in this section of the creek that were stocked for the tournament and never caught. Now for really big fish the Stoney Brook up by Norristown is the place to head. The fishing club up there stocked for a tournament and again allot of fish were never caught. I know one customer picked up a 8 pound rainbow last Thursday and he said there are several bigger fish swimming around. He heard they even stocked a few 10+ pound steelheads that were never caught. The Wissahickon was restocked this past week and most guys that went down caught plenty of nice rainbows. Minnows, meal worms, wax worms and power baits have been catching the most fish. The last trout spot I heard anything from was French Creek in Chester county. This customer was down fishing with flies picking up a few 15 to 18 inch rainbows on weighted nymphs. He said there were several other guys bait fishing and most were doing very good.
Well that is all I have for you this week. The weekend is looking like a 50 - 50 mix for the weather so get out and enjoy the better days.
Bill
Old 05-13-2008, 03:38 AM
Reports and Info Dude
Got a Little Captain in you?

Linden Ave
Philadelphia Pa.
Friday May 9, 2008

For weather this was one of the best weeks I have had in quite some time. And it was nice to head to Trenton and catch some herring. Helen and myself were in the water by 6:30 Tuesday and caught our limit of herring by 8:30. We also had a couple of shad hooked but lost everyone of them. Other boats were catching herring and I also seen 5 or 6 shad caught. So we had our bait and we headed down river to do some striper fishing. The river was 60 degrees but full of junk that I still don't know where it all came from. But we started right away catching catfish and stripers. This day we had 9 catfish up to 6 pounds and 8 stripers up to 29 inches. I did go back out later in the afternoon by myself and picked up 3 more stripers 33, 18 and 15 inches with a few more catfish. The next day Helen was sick so I meet up with John and we went back out here. We fished several spots catching catfish and one striper each spot. I took John to 5 of my favorite spots to boat 5 stripers and several catfish. So I left it up to him for the next spot. Across the river we anchored up and started catching catfish right away. One smaller striper 22 inches then came the monster. I hook up and landed another 40 + pound fish. It measured 43 1/2 inches and was between 40 and 45 pounds. Again the biggest striper that I have caught. Can't wait till next week to see if the streak keeps up. We fished several other spots but only caught catfish. I think by the end of the day we had 8 stripers and 15 or so catfish. All the fish were caught on chunk herring. I was hoping to get out again that day but Helen was so sick I stayed home and after looking at the weather I'm really glad I did. The wind picked up and it got real nasty Wednesday night.
Other reports on the Delaware. John on Tuesday was up fishing next to me for herring and instead of coming down river he stayed up and fished between the bridges. He had 5 stripers up to 28 inches and caught them on herring and bloodworms. H was back up on Thursday saying the herring bite was real tough. But they got the bait they needed and headed up to fish. Not the best day only landing 3 stripers and a few catfish. The biggest striper was 25 inches. Kenny Elwood was out Monday having one of the best days I heard this year. He picked up over 25 stripers and had 9 over 28 inches. The biggest was 40 inches. All these fish were on herring. He was back to on Tuesday catching a few smaller fish and several catfish. I was anchored next to him when they hooked up a big fish but after 15 minutes the fish won the battle. Wednesday he was back out and the last I talked to him he had a few smaller fish. Jim was out fishing over the weekend catching a few fish but he did have his biggest in the mid 30 inches. He did catch a few smaller fish and on Tuesday night he anchored up next to me to catch a smaller fish in less the a minute before it all came to and end. Mike was down fishing the lower river on Sunday by Petty's Island with chunk herring and clams. He fished for several hours with 3 other guys in the boat. He picked up 40 catfish and 12 stripers. The biggest catch were 10 to 12 pounds with most of the stripers 15 to 31 inches. He had a couple of bigger fish on but never landed them. The last customer Eric was down fishing a mile or so below the airport. He said he had over 50 stripers up to 20 pounds using bloodworms, herring and fresh clams. He did have allot of 12 to 18 inch fish mixed in. And he said all the catfish and white perch you wanted to catch. Now off the bank Station Avenue has still been very good with a couple of big fish caught each day. One customer had a fish 48 pounds last week. Up under the Burlington Bristol Bridge has been another really good spot with several 15 to 25 pound fish caught on clams and herring. The airport at the U P S building has been very good but they have been catching allot of smaller fish here. Down below the Fairmount Dam has been pretty good for stripers, shad and even a few herring. The guys fishing with live herring and shad bodies lures have been doing the best on bigger fish. I know of a couple of 20 pound fish taken. They are also catching allot of smaller fish on chunk baits. The shad have been either caught on snagged on bigger shad darts.
Well other than stripers trout have still been one of the next best things to fish for. The Pennypack creek has been really good for several guys this past week. Dave told me that fishing early in the day or late in the evening catching 10 to 20 fish is not a hard thing. He has been fishing allot with minnows. John was over on Tuesday at Welsh Road picking up 12 fish with spinners and bead head flies. He even caught 1 smaller palomino with a fly. A couple of guys have been fishing the pool at Woodward Avenue and catching a limit each day with meal worms, wax worms and power baits. Up at Lemur Park a few guys went up this week looking for a bigger trout but everyone told me that most of the fish they caught were 10 to 12 inches. They picked allot of the fish up on minnows and wax worms. One customer was over to the Wissahickon telling me that most of the fish have been hitting olive wooly buggers just below the fast water. He has caught 5 to 10 fish each afternoon. Another guy was over with power bait and worms catch a few trout and bluegills. Now allot of guys have been fishing Levittown Lake has been all right for trout but most guys are saying the bass and crappies have been biting much better. The bass have been hitting plastic worms, spinner's, spoons and minnows. The crappies have been hitting small jigs and minnows and what trout are being caught have been on power baits, wax worms, meal worms and minnows. Core Creek has been very good but if you are looking just for trout you are going to have to work hard for a limit of fish. Jay has been up telling me that crappies, bass, perch and giant catfish have been hitting minnows, meal worms and wax worms. A few other guys have been fishing the upper end catching allot of crappies, perch and a few trout. They have been using wax worms under a float. The trout fishing up the mountains has been very good with most of the streams being extremely low and most of the fish have been pooled up. Guys that were up turkey hunting last weekend all did very well on rainbows and brook trout with wax worms and meal worms.
Other spots has been Fairless Hills with allot of crappies, perch and bass caught in this lake. One customer told me fishing the shore line he did very well with smaller fish till he found a hole with some largemouth bass. Several other guys have been out fishing in this lake catching plenty of bass, pickerel and small muskies. Rohm Haas has been the same with allot of smaller largemouth bass hitting plastic worms, lizards, rattle traps and spinner baits. Most of the guys I talk to from this lake have not gotten any real big fish in several weeks. Most of the fish have been 1 to 3 pounds. I even know one customer that fished with large shiners and shad and only has had a few hits but no hook ups. The Poquessing creek this week was good but not for largemouth bass, these guys picked up allot of catfish and smaller stripers down below the State Road bridge. They were fishing with bloodworms, nightcralwers and chicken livers. Several guys have been fishing the Pennypack Creek between Torresdale Avenue and State Road saying there are allot of carp held up in the deeper holes but they have not been hitting. One guy picked up a few smaller fish with corn but he said there are fish 20 to 30 pounds swimming around. They have also picked up several catfish and stripers in this spot also. Larry told me after a day of fishing the river at Yardley for shad he went over to the lake in town and fished the shore line with spinners and twister tails catching a few crappies and bluegills. He did see a few largemouth bass but they were not hitting what he had. In the river he caught several shad with spoons between the islands below the railroad bridge. The shad fishing has been very good from Yardley up river to Narrowsburg. The water gap several guys did very good over last weekend with spoons and smaller darts. A few guys were up to Marsh Creek having good days on smallmouth bass and yellow perch. They were fishing minnows drifted on the bottom. They also seen another fisherman land a nice 35 inch 16 pound musky on a live shiner. Several guys have still been fishing up at Noxamixion doing very good on both largemouth and smallmouth bass with jigs, spinner baits, plastic worm and lizards and lip less crankbaits. Allot of the bass are now moving into shallow water for spawning. The crappies, perch and bluegills have been hitting well around the docks and any wooden structure you find around the lake. They have been hitting minnows fished under a bobber, twister tails, marabou jigs and spinners the best. Roosevelt Lake has not changed with allot of smaller panfish still hitting worms and twister tails. The Susquehanna flats have been really good striper fishing most for the lure fisherman. These guys have been fishing allot of rattle traps, long crankbaits, shad bodies and slug o's to catch the most fish. I know of several 20 to 30 pound fish taken in the past week. And talking to several guys numbers from 15 to 40 fish per boat is not un common.
Saltwater action in the Delaware Bay has not been real good. Most everyone I talk to has had trips canceled due to bad weather or just bad fishing. The upper bay they are getting allot of small stripers on clams and bunker but I have not heard of any keepers in a week or so. Now down at Reed's beach a couple customers were down last weekend only catching 2 smaller stripers and one skate. They were using fresh clams. Further down the bay again allot of smaller stripers with a few drum fish mixed in. But even the drum fish have been slow so far. And the Cape May rips have been the same story with allot of smaller stripers hitting clams, bunker, diamond jigs, Hopkins and bucktails. If you are heading to the shore bluefishing has been really good close to shore and off the beaches and jetties. This has been really good all up and down the coast. Allot of 4 to 6 pound fish moved in over the last week. Mullet, mackerel and herring for bait has been working the best with spoons and jigs the best for artificial. Further up the coast in the Raitian Bay there are some bigger stripers hitting on fresh bunker with allot of 2 to 6 pound bluefish mixed in. Down south in Maryland the croakers are moving in. Some good numbers of fish were caught the past couple of weeks. Up north in Massachusetts the boats are still going out for porgies, cod and pollock. Ever customer that has been up there has brought back coolers of fish. If you do go up some of the bigger codfish have been caught on 16 to 21 ounce diamond and Viking jigs.
A few guys are starting to head to the Susquehanna river and have been doing real good on bigger smallmouth bass. They have been fishing the deeper pools below the Duncannon bridge and up at Clemson Island. Now they are not getting big numbers but some guys are catching 10 to 20 fish each trip with most fish 15 to 20 inches. They are also getting some good numbers of 3 to 5 pound walleyes mixed in. They have been doing best with live minnows, shiners, bucktails, twister tails and Rapala's. Still on the Delaware I have not heard of any good smallmouth bass fishing as of yet. Again several customer have been going up and only a few fish have been taken. And even the ones caught have been on the smaller side. John again was up to Byron last weekend and only picked up 6 bass and 1 walleye. The largest bass was 15 inches. Now if you are looking for better smallmouth bass fishing I had one customer take minnows up to the Perkiomen at the prison and have a very good day. He picked up 16 fish up to 19 inches. He said the biggest had to go over 4 pounds and on this creek that is a monster smallmouth bass. A few guys have been fishing the upper Neshaminy picking up a few small bass but this creek with be getting much better in a couple of weeks.
Well that is all I have for you this week. I hope everyone will get your mother out fishing for mothers day. If you do good luck.
Bill
Old 06-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

well done bill, i always enjoy your reports and never give you your kudo;'s zim