2012 Big "D" spring fishing reports(post here) - Page 10 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Delaware River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Delaware River A Forum for The Delaware River guys.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Official Member

Default Re: 2012 Big "D" spring fishing reports(post here)

Nice job mu nice Easter gift that's bout a 63lbs per your measurements might have to join you guys in the big d stay safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Closer to 40 pounds Than 60.
Jus off river ebbing tide was the best tide today. I fished same spot from yesterday and bass didn't seem to be sacked up here today but bigger fish were there today. Only managed 5 bass today but they were good ones. Some of the biggest I've caught on the river. Only bait I used was fresh surf clam in water 21-27 feet. Soon as I got on my spot first rod cast started peeling before I could even get the other rods in the water. Bam 49" bass. As soon as I got the rods back in the water another goes off for a 40" bass. Had a much heavier bass on then the first one but I let her pull me into the trees tht lay off to the side of my hole and broke me off. Landed another 44" bass and 39" bass and 1 18" bass 3 catfish. Once tide changed things slowed a bit and boat also started dropping in my area so I didn't stay much longer. Checked out flats by ranacokas did see one small fish caught but for 2 hrs nothing. If I had to estimate within the past 2 days 200 pounds of bass have hit the deck of my Lil boat. The time is here and now.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Official Member

Yea thought it was high one website had length girth calculator and it came back at 63. Glad to see u had a great day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Official Member

Hey mu I calculated again with the formula that is commonly used and it says 62.7. Girth x girth xlength / 800
You caught it was it 40 lb class? Still new to calculating fish this way trying to figure it out
Old 04-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu fish View Post
Gravy u and me both can't believe my wife puts up with me when fishing is good I'm never home jus work and fish. I read a book one time tht said the guy wouldnt be able to sleep so he'd think about bass til he fell asleep well I don't sleep the night before trips and in the surf I fish 16 hrs a day with no sleep for 2 days. If I even start to lay in bed thinking about bass I'm up for an extra 2 hours
In 1954, the editors of Salt Water Sportsman declared that the striped bass had "a fanatical human following that compares to none." and it's now stronger half a century later.
Some call it a passion my wife says it's obsession.
Nice!! Well... lol I was reading this post at 3:30 am!! I couldn't sleep. I was pumped up for going out to the Rancocous creek area today! So I figured I would check to see if you posted! And got a good laugh from this. Thanks! You know if our wives were to meet... We would be In a lot trouble!!! LMAO I made it out there today, the rats and perch were hard at work and in full force! I kept changing position. Intentionally and unintentionally, the wind was brutal! I had a perch barf up worms! So I used the worms for bait! Little s.o.b! Hopefully you did better!
Gravy
Old 04-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Closer to 40 pounds Than 60.
Jus off river ebbing tide was the best tide today. I fished same spot from yesterday and bass didn't seem to be sacked up here today but bigger fish were there today. Only managed 5 bass today but they were good ones. Some of the biggest I've caught on the river. Only bait I used was fresh surf clam in water 21-27 feet. Soon as I got on my spot first rod cast started peeling before I could even get the other rods in the water. Bam 49" bass. As soon as I got the rods back in the water another goes off for a 40" bass. Had a much heavier bass on then the first one but I let her pull me into the trees tht lay off to the side of my hole and broke me off. Landed another 44" bass and 39" bass and 1 18" bass 3 catfish. Once tide changed things slowed a bit and boat also started dropping in my area so I didn't stay much longer. Checked out flats by ranacokas did see one small fish caught but for 2 hrs nothing. If I had to estimate within the past 2 days 200 pounds of bass have hit the deck of my Lil boat. The time is here and now.
Damn Bud!! Great day for you!! Congrads! Awsome.. 49 inch man. I was on rancacokas Creek seam today! I was in a the little 14ft Sylvan boat at the mouth seam. Lots of little rat Stripers and perch! Again great job, any pictures???
Old 04-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Got vid of the releases I was alone today and was wishing I had someone to take a pic wit me holdin them I tried to take pics wit phone but I've drooped my iPhone in surf so much last fall all pics come out cloudy one day I'll get new one. Sure woulda like a pic Thts my biggest bass on the river to date!
Um I'm not up on the calculations but if I had to Guess I'd say the fish was around 40-45 lbs I have hand held digital but I frown on putting a big cow on it and have it's jaw stretched all out and belly inside all messed up from hanging like tht I jus won't do it but the tape measurements r correct maybe off a half inch at most.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Got vid of the releases I was alone today and was wishing I had someone to take a pic wit me holdin them I tried to take pics wit phone but I've drooped my iPhone in surf so much last fall all pics come out cloudy one day I'll get new one. Sure woulda like a pic Thts my biggest bass on the river to date!
Um I'm not up on the calculations but if I had to Guess I'd say the fish was around 40-45 lbs I have hand held digital but I frown on putting a big cow on it and have it's jaw stretched all out and belly inside all messed up from hanging like tht I jus won't do it but the tape measurements r correct maybe off a half inch at most.
Would of like to see it too!! Bet she was a beauty! Can't wait to get out again. I am getting the shakes from striper withdraw. Later
Gravy
Old 04-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Job View Post
Damn Bud!! Great day for you!! Congrads! Awsome.. 49 inch man. I was on rancacokas Creek seam today! I was in a the little 14ft Sylvan boat at the mouth seam. Lots of little rat Stripers and perch! Again great job, any pictures???
I was the in a 12' aluminum came up tht area around 1pm fished by the buoy but nothing. At 49" I couldn't nearly fit in my boat. It's a 2 seater and the area in-between the row seats is only 37" and across is about the same. I had it's tail section under the back seat almost to tue transom as I measured it lol it sure was a sight to see. If I catch anything bigger I don't know if I'm a even pull it out of the water. I thought I was gone tip over when I first tried to pull it over the rail shoot one time when I clamped down on my drag to get her to stop I had to kneel on the floor I thought I was going over lol tht is my second largest bass on record in 5 years striper fishing biggest one I even caught on the river previous being 43" and I beet tht record twice Sunday I was on the river by 7am and by 9:30am I was content to just call it a day and tht was with only 3 bass caught to tht point but it felt like I had won something lol side note:I'm really suprised at how healthy and clean these bass r. 3 of the bass had signs tht they have spawned.
This year has already made up for last spring run. An this is just the start of things it's actually goin to get better yet! Thts the really good part tht thus is going to last for another 2 months minimum and the peak spawn hasn't een occured yet. Lol this going to be a yer for the record books for me. I glad I got a few on here to share it with.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhas13 View Post
Hey mu I calculated again with the formula that is commonly used and it says 62.7. Girth x girth xlength / 800
You caught it was it 40 lb class? Still new to calculating fish this way trying to figure it out
I've used tht method years ago but I'm not sure its right either lol but I use a length to weight chart and age chart. U can find it on this site somewhere. But 49" bass is aprox 17 years old max weight of 54lbs average weight of 47 lbs and minimum weight of 39 lbs. Ive actually put it in my log book as a 49" 45lber. From the 1995 class. And tht was before I went and looked at the chart. But it coulda very well been close to 50. It was really fat for this time of year.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Official Member

Yea mu I use both last year I had got a weigh in bag and cut the sides so a striper can fit so I can use a scale but haven't had any luck since I fish in havre de grace never really fished the big d even though I live pretty much on it in Claymont might have to learn more bout fishing on it. thought my boat was to small it a 17 ' bass tracker but I see I was wrong you make out good with yours and gravy with his. Hope to see you guys out there soon.stay safe
Old 04-10-2012, 06:47 AM
Striper Hunter

Am i reading it right????? You caught a 49" striper in a 12' canoe on Saturday the 8th with the wind howling like that????

I went down to delanco and was going to drfit with the out going tide down past the rancocas and maybe into palmyra by the bridge, but since I am in a kayak , I said forget that, that wind was crazy. I would be doing more paddling than fishing!
I might be out there friday evening. Tight Lines!
Old 04-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
I've used tht method years ago but I'm not sure its right either lol but I use a length to weight chart and age chart. U can find it on this site somewhere. But 49" bass is aprox 17 years old max weight of 54lbs average weight of 47 lbs and minimum weight of 39 lbs. Ive actually put it in my log book as a 49" 45lber. From the 1995 class. And tht was before I went and looked at the chart. But it coulda very well been close to 50. It was really fat for this time of year.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Striper Hunter

Great job Mu..
It must have been exciting getting that cow to the boat.
The formula I used when trying to estimate large fish in saltwater when they were to be released was length x girth squared divided by 800
I have found that in some big fish the girth is carried back through the tail
Making this formula inaccurate in some instances. Even so that was a heck of a catch. I have been reading all the posts and being an old saltwater fisherman for some 45 years I may try and apply some of those techniques to the river. Did a lot of shark and tuna fishing so u may know where I am going with this..will have to get to jersey to get what I need but if it works I will let all you guys know. Looks like there is plenty of fish for all of us to have fun with for the next few months. If any one is thinking of doing night trips I would be willing to give my cell number to share info or in case of an emergency. Good luck guys and catch um up.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
Am i reading it right????? You caught a 49" striper in a 12' canoe on Saturday the 8th with the wind howling like that????

I went down to delanco and was going to drfit with the out going tide down past the rancocas and maybe into palmyra by the bridge, but since I am in a kayak , I said forget that, that wind was crazy. I would be doing more paddling than fishing!
I might be out there friday evening. Tight Lines!
Canoe? Nah I would never put canoe on river ------12' aluminum with 2hp outboard and Sunday is not the nastiest weather I been out there in either tht was nothing sunday the wind didn't really pick up til tide turned and then it was wind with tide and wind across tide. It gets really ruff when the wind blows against tide. I've spent the last 5 years on the river in this set up and tho it has been very dangerous at times I've learned to handle whatever the river has thrown at me. Some days r not for the inexperienced Thts for sure.