Scup for the monsters - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 03-24-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Scup for the monsters

Anyone out here fishing with live scup? I want to throw away all of my wire rigs and start all over. I would love a little help on how to do it.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2005, 04:51 PM

I'd like to try...I've heard great things about live scup...

When you say "wire rigs"...Do you mean wire line trolling?
...I can definately help with that... :D

...Welcome to the site... :D
Old 03-24-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Wire line

I have been trolling wire for along time and have learned to hate it. I am hoping to learn new ways to go after the larger fish the wire is becoming more of a hassle know what I mean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2005, 05:06 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Scup work great,unfortunatly,this far north we dont have any.

They can be fished just like a Mackerel or herring,some people use trebles,I dont recomend it,at least not a stock treble,I cut one tine of a 4/0 treble,then file off the barb of one of the remaining two,this is my stinger,how it works is like this,the tine with the barb is hooked through the nose of the fish,the "barbless tine is out there to "sting" the bass,when a fish takes the bait you can hit them fast,the barbless tine will hold the fish until the bait is torn loose and the barbed hook takes hold,releasing the fish is a snap,only one tine has a barb so very few fish are harmed.
some like 7/0 - 9/0 circle hooks,they work well also,I've been using them more and more.

If i'm trolling a livie I use a large duo lock snap through the nose and a 5/0 Gamigatsu live bait hook behind the dorsal fin.

you can fish them on lead core with a 50 lb florocarbon leader,i like short leaders about 3-5'

Over deep reefs they can be drift fished on 3 way swivel, attach the 3 wat to your main line a large (7/0-9/0) circle hook to 18" of #50 floro and tie that to your middle swivel, to the bottom swivel tie 3' of 20lb test( or somethoing lighter than you main line) and add a breakaway rig to the bitter end for your weight.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:11 PM

Echo...have you tried Tube n' Worm or Umbrella Rigs on leadcore...instead of wire...

...I'm still a wire fan...especially with the new pre-marked wire...
Old 03-24-2005, 05:11 PM
Veteran Elite

The Scup looks alot like the Spot we live line down here. I tie 3 hooks off the end of my leader, one in the tail, one in the back and one through the lips, Med action spinning rod and zing it about 50' from the boat and let that little fishy swim around. Meanwhile I'm bouncing bait off the bottom for more spot, maybe some croaker and trout
Old 03-24-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Ok slow down there for a minute

ok hold on here you rig then w/ a snap swivel fhrough there nose and a hook on there tail do they swim all right this way. I have experiance rigging ballyhoo and it is tuff to keep them from spinning will they swim straight.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:29 PM

I would bridal them with a big 8/0 Gamatgatsu circle hook...

Rigging needle and rubber band behind the head...then you can troll them perfectly straight...
Old 03-24-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Boston

What do you mean by band behind the head
Old 03-24-2005, 05:51 PM

To bridal a bait...

Take a rigging needle and put a rubber band through the eye...go through the bait's back, inbetween the head and dorsal fin...once you have a hole through the bait's back with each end of the rubber band sticking out, twist the ends of the band so each one has tension...put the hook perpendicular to the back of the fish through the ends of the band, which is now wound up...

...It lets you pull the bait when trolling, without spinning, and it doesn't affect the swiming of the bait... :D
Old 03-24-2005, 06:56 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

a duo-lok snap is just a snap...no swivel,it hangs free off of a dropper loop,the tag end has the hook,the snap goes through the nose of the bair and gets locked,the hook goes behind the dorsal fin,the bait is led around by the snap in it;s nose,kinda like when the farmers used to put a ring in a bulls nose,it allows fro a quick bait change and a perfect bait presentation,quick and down and dirty. a trick that i learned from an old charter boat skipper on cape cod many,many years ago.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:37 PM
Striper Hunter
Charter Captain - Guide

Up here in LIS Ct we use 3 way rigs with 7/0 Gama circle hooks for livelining scup. My bigest fish to date up to 48.5 inches have come on live scup. It's a blast!! The secret is to fish them 3 to 4 full cranks off the bottom while drifting. They will fight like hell to get back down in the rocks and the cows take notice. The best part is when you feel your scup start to dance.... HANG ON that means someone is close by!!!! :D

Here's a couple from last July

Old 03-25-2005, 07:54 PM

Wow T those are some nice fish! Welcome to the site BTW
Old 03-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Striper Hunter
Charter Captain - Guide

Thanks Trip 7!!

Actually I've been around a while but couldn't remember my original log-in..... :roll:

Anyway.... nice to be back on the site for the upcoming season. :D
Old 03-25-2005, 08:48 PM

where were you at when you caught them? They look like they gave a hell of a fight!!