wanted to say hello and ask for some help in the surf - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 08-06-2006, 03:17 AM

Default wanted to say hello and ask for some help in the surf

hey all,as you noticed im NEW to this forum,i am very new in striper fishing in the surf so excuse me if i sound just a bit noobish,lol

anyways,this probably the MOST NOOBISH thing you will ever hear to your life!
how in the heck do you guys cast so far in the surf?

serously,im not trying to be funny

ve seen guys cast like ridicously far,like 15 yrds past anyways the second breaker (you consider taht far? lol my counting is less mediorce,and so is my spelling) i mean if im lucky i cant get my lures barely past the second breaker

any tips for distance casting?

i came into striper surf fishing after doing ALOT of freshwater largemouth bass fishing where distance casting isnt as important
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2006, 11:16 PM

Distance is really an equipment driven thing. Technique will get you out even further but a proper rod (10'+) rated for the weights you're throwing, a reel that matches to the rod and braided line will by itself get you well past the second wave.
Add good technique and practice and you'll be casting well past the second bar.

I highly recommend picking up the video Distance Casting with Ron Arra and the companion book The Ultimate Guide to Surfcasting again by Ron Arra.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:13 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Great Book. But I still can't get that pendulem cast down so I do the off the beach or canal cast. I al so found that starting the cast slow and picking up speed as the rod travels helps, but I still can't get as far as some guys I'v seen.
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2006, 01:38 PM

Pendulum cast is like riding a bike - one day it just clicks and you've got it.

The best analogy for casting is to look at it like a golf swing, all the essentials are the same - smooth start, snap through the power zone and a smooth finish and follow through.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:58 AM

Welcome pencil popper. I'm not and expert long distance surfcaster but since my fishing background is similar to yours....predominately a Large mouth fisherman for many years before targeting stripers.....I can relate and perhaps give you some insight as to the differences.

The biggest difference I find is the way you "load" the rod, the backward bend of the pole which provides the power/speed that allows you to cast long distances. This is because LMB equipment is much lighter and smaller, this includes the terminal tackle as well. With the lighter tackle, I depend primarily on the back-cast to load the rod. With surfcasting equipment, loading the rod is done primarily with the forward movement of the rod.

To effectively load the surfcasting rod, begin the forward cast slowly. Then smoothly accelerate by pushing with your right hand and pulling on the rod butt with your left (opposite if left handed). To reach maximum speed, break your wrists just before you stop the rods forward movement and release the line. To use all the power stored in a loaded rod, you must abruptly stop the rod without lowering the tip from the target line of travel, about a 33? angle, or 11 o'clock, from the waters surface).

The second biggest difference with the surfcasting technique is the exaggerated body dynamics. To use Sudsy's golf analogy, let's call the action of the rod described above, the "Stroke". And, let's draw on another sport, baseball, to describe the specific body dynamics I'll call the "windup". With lighter weight freshwater equipment, your stroke is much shorter and your windup is primarily all arm and wrist with hardly any need for additional body movement/augmentation. Whereas, with surfcasting you use your whole body by winding up or coiling to increase your stroke and provide more speed which translates into distance. BTW, the reason surfcasting rods are so long is basically to increase the length of your stroke.

I tried to explain in detail my body dynamics in setting up to cast as well as the cast itself but, I erased it because after writing it I had difficulty understanding what I wrote. So I'll try to keep it simple.

First, let me say that your body dynamics are meant to work in sync/parallel with your rod movement to increase the length and speed of your stroke. To do this, your stance is very important to achieving a long-distance cast. Being right-handed, my left foot is aimed slightly right of the spot I'm casting to and my right foot is at slightly less than a 45? angle to my left foot. Both feet are spread about a shoulders-width apart. Start with your plug hanging about 18-24 inches positioned below your rod tip. When you bring your rod back to the casting position (~horizontal to the water, except obviously pointed away from the water) you want to rotate your hips to the right as well as shift your body weight to your right foot. Here, you're effectively loading your body. Keeping in mind the rod dynamics that I explained above, as you begin your cast, push off with your right foot, slowly shift your weight forward (right to left foot) and begin to rotate your hips back to the left. This windup, body weight shift and hip movement, augments the strokes length and provides additional speed.

Now, put the mechanics I've described regarding the stroke and windup together and you should get decent casting distance. Obviously, the plug's weight and aerodynamics will impact your distance and it takes practice to become consistent.

I hope you can visualize what I'm describing. In this case, an instruction video is definately worth a thousand written words. Oh well, I tried.

Good luck,

Tony

Note on edit: added the baseball pitchers windup as an analogy to help describle your body movement dynamics.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:08 AM

Heres a few visuals to show what Tony is describing

Off the ground cast slow

Pendulum cast

Hi Pencil popper welcome
I forgot to mention it takes a little time and practice.
Punch and pull and timing is the key.
I been casting since I was thirteen and I still dont do it right.
Dont forget to tape your fingers holding the line.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:37 AM

Thanks Jim for posting those videos. Hopefully what I wrote matches up and provides a clearer understanding of the surfcasting technique.

I was wondering exactly what the pedulum technique was. I use that technique or one very similiar, except I call it the sling-shot, when I'm large mouth bass fishing with no room to back-cast. Haven't tried it yet surfcasting. But, I can see where it would augment the stroke speed and get better distance.

I wonder if you can use a similiar technique to the one used in the "Hammer Throw" where you cork-screw your whole body around several times building more and more speed, before you let the plug fly. Or perhaps borrow from the Javelin throw and position yourself 50 feet back from the water and run full speed towards the water while going through the rod dynamics before releasing.

:)
Old 08-10-2006, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDB
Or perhaps borrow from the Javelin throw and position yourself 50 feet back from the water and run full speed towards the water while going through the rod dynamics before releasing.
I've seen it done with a ballarina follow through

(The Ballarina cast is when the caster finishes on one leg, the other pointed out behind with the rod in one hand reaching out as far as possible)
Old 08-11-2006, 03:18 PM

The Ballerina cast.....where's my tutu? I'm just kidding Jim

BTW, I was looking at those two video clips you posted and from the looks of it, that guy probably casted twice as far with the pendulum toss. Look closely at the rod bend he achieves.

I think I'm gonna try the hammer throw cast this weekend. Watchout, I have no idea where it will go.