buktails in the surf - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 09-26-2005, 04:26 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Default buktails in the surf

In the past 13 months that I've been fishing for striped bass I have cought them on every thing from tins, to plugs, to poppers and soft plastics. every thing that is but bucktails. I din't know what I'm doing wrong. All the great striper fishermen rave about them but all I catch with 'em is sea weed. If any one has any tips I would rerally appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Khary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2005, 05:18 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Usualy if you can get the hang of catching bass on a squid, you can get them with a jig...

I like the uppermans style,white or yellow,with a white or red porkrind trailer..... I also have used soft plastics on them bu prefer the pork, you can work the entire water collum with them I cast, let them sink and work them back with a slow and rythmic retrieve impating a hopping action as I reel in, if the bottom is sandy, or muddy kicking up some bottom debris usualy brings a strike....
Old 09-26-2005, 08:04 PM

I got schooled big time in fishing jigs last week out at "M" by Vito Orlando, considered one of the all time best out there. We caught so many fish I actually quit for a while and kicked back to watch Frankie B and Vito continue to just slay em. When I got back to my hotel room I wrote down everything I could remember. The first and second paragraphs are info I learned from Vito and Frank. The third is made up of my own ideas:

In the surf go as light as you possibly can. If you can throw 1/4 ounce then do it but try to go no heavier than 1/2 ounce. You shouldn't have to throw too far as a jig is best used in the white water right behind a breaking wave. Retrieve fast enough to keep it just out of the rocks or off the sand.

Smiling Bills are probably the most popular shape, white the best color.
Once you start catching with that begin experimenting with different shapes and colors to suit your area and style. You can adjust the height it rides in the water column by changing the size of the trailer you use. Straight bucktail will make it ride deep, Pork will ride deeper than large curly tail grubs.

I tie my own bucktails and tend to tie em heavy with some maribou under the bucktail to give it extra life. After experimenting with the stuff last week I'll never go out without some precut strips of Berkley Gulp, either anchovy or herring, to sweeten it up either on it's own like a strip of porkrind or over a grubtail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2005, 09:23 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

thanks for the tips guys! I think I might have been going to heavy I have been using 1-3 ounce buck tails and I think I might have been reeling then in to fast also. If I can make it out there this weekend I'll giv eit another go.

Sudy, I saw your Montauk post on surf rats, sounds like you had a great time,and Vito sounds like a great guy. I hope I can make it out there this fall.

thanks
Khary
Old 09-27-2005, 01:06 AM

Definately, had a blast.
I was over his place for the Jets/Miami game. Poor guy, he's very laid back and I was literally bouncing off the walls.
I'm surprised he still wanted to go fishing the next day
Old 09-27-2005, 07:41 AM

Sudsy,, sounds like you get into the games the way my wife does. Our neighbor came over last night to ask her to quiet down,, she was screaming at the TV watching our Chiefs get slaughtered. Pissed off like you wouldn't believe. Meanwhile I'm trying to get our 1 year old to sleep, I love football too, but I'm not one to let it get my blood pressure up, lol. Her whole family is that way,, you can't even hear the play by play because they're so loud,, after the first year we were married I refused to go over to her folks house to watch a game.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitrunner
Sudsy,, sounds like you get into the games the way my wife does. Our neighbor came over last night to ask her to quiet down,, she was screaming at the TV watching our Chiefs get slaughtered. Pissed off like you wouldn't believe. Meanwhile I'm trying to get our 1 year old to sleep, I love football too, but I'm not one to let it get my blood pressure up, lol. Her whole family is that way,, you can't even hear the play by play because they're so loud,, after the first year we were married I refused to go over to her folks house to watch a game.
Sounds like my house during the Jets games - 18 years of season ticket holding agony

Man O man, did we hijack this thread or what

Just to get it back on track - a great fish catching bucktail that I never see anyone else using is the 1 oz Blakemore Roadrunner. They usually have em at Sports Authorithy. Try it with a purple worm with a red paddle tail for weakies, white grub or pork for bass.