where is the POWER in power pro?? - Page 3 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:00 AM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO
Default Re: where is the POWER in power pro??

I know some folks have had the breakage issue with PP.
For me, I use it on my Abu's without a hitch, and I also use Stealth braid. 50# for both.
On my spinners, I use Fireline, to me that is a no brainer.
It is interesting, though, how that line just breaks. Interesting, indeed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2008, 05:53 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i;m a ballbuster by nature but as sensitive a subject as it is with YOU KNOW WHO. i won;t do it any more. i really do love you gunny---------//////////////////////snap~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~><((()))):>

Old 06-20-2008, 02:16 PM
First Mate

Ive switched over to Suffix performance braid and I absolutlely love it... Have had zero issues with it... Of course I didn't have any problems with PP until my last spool...

Bryan
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2008, 04:44 PM

I will sum up the thread now.
Zim, you are a ball buster and we all know that, anyone that does not, get over it.
Roc loves the stuff and has never lost a fish to it's failure.
I have lost way too many plugs to the stuff I will never trust again, after giving it the benefit of the doubt due to having it recommended by folks with reputaions beyond reproach.
I have checked my guides several times with cotton balls, and removed the line to the backing looking for frays. Out of nowhere the line fails with no warning. Bad spool? I'll never take the chance it's a fluke. Loyalty is built on trust. I'm moving on.
More than one person I fish with tells me the same story. Gave it a chance, not going back.
Suffix is on deck, then spider wire. after that I go back to Mono. I landed a 64 on mono.
Too bad monnel wire don't cast worth a crap, cause I landed a 68 on that.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:19 PM

has anyone used berkleys gorilla tough braided line?
Old 06-22-2008, 07:23 PM

striperjim the line im talking about is vanish florocarbon. you are intitled to your opinion but it is just that, an opinion. the performance i get from it surpasses any other line i have used but thats JUST MY OPINION
Old 06-22-2008, 07:38 PM

Ok
Your welcome J.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:15 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

don;t even bother with spiderwire. it doesn;t last long. i had remington braid that was just fine and i suppose the suffix will suffice

Old 06-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Jigologist

Wink Re: where is the POWER in power pro??

still using PowerPro with some setups in their 4th season.. prolly should turn it around on the spool for the next 4 seasons...LOL... Like Roccus I load my PP wet.. just drop the spool in the sink and put it on plenty tight.. started using stren's super braid last season and like that as well .. have it on three setups including my chad rod ... seems to stay dark colored longer.. I tie direct alot so that alone carries some merit with me.

I don't know how to explain the failures some have had with PP.. multiple manufacturers with varying quality control could be one reason..

I did have issues one day with casting breakoffs.. tip eye had a small chip in the porcelin .. was cutting it off like a knife..

you gotta use what you have the most confidence in... one's confidence level and state of mind are often times half the battle..

positive energy, a balanced attitude, and a centered chi baby...
Old 06-29-2008, 11:32 AM

The fact that some knots don't work with braid has not been mentioned. Alot of knots will slip without resistance with PP, fireline or other similar lines. I use many different knots when largemouth fishing and because I use two rods I have to tie these knots many times in a day when switching lures. For this reason I never use any "new" line such as braid. Rapala knot, improved clinch and clinch come to mind. If there is water on Mars then the martians can use some of my jigs to catch fish with. I have sent a few on space missions using braid last year... The palomar knot is the only knot I would trust with braid.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

covered in extent here. that dog wont hunt. the assorted threads in this forum all but annoyed me with the knot and preference questions. kinda like what jigman said. chi baby. what you have confidence in is half the battle. if it aint broke cast it out. if it breaks off? then it's gunny's fault lmfao (sorry bud, can;t resist)

Old 06-29-2008, 12:18 PM

Covered in extent on this site, but not this thread, and who needs the search button when you can beat a dead horse?
Old 06-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Jigologist

Talking Re: where is the POWER in power pro??

obviously Gunny aint holding his mouth right...

Old 06-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

don;t worry, he will see it. lol. not much we won;t goof about here.i can;t hold a candle to his ability but i can dish it out.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Owen View Post
striperjim the line im talking about is vanish florocarbon. you are intitled to your opinion but it is just that, an opinion. the performance i get from it surpasses any other line i have used but thats JUST MY OPINION
To throw my opinion in, Vanish is complete and total crap, the worst stuff I've ever used by far, nothing else has ever come close - I'd rather use the bargain bin no name line then that stuff.

As you can tell not only do I hate the stuff but I'm even angry at the company for even selling it. Here's why:
I spooled two reels with Vanish for a trip down to Florida. It was mainly a family trip, a few days on the west coast and a few at Disney. I was taking one day to fish a backwater area that I know holds some good sized sheepshead. Long story short, I had 4 or 5 good hits and on everyone the line just snapped as though it was too brittle to handle the shock. Ruined my only day to fish. And no there were no nicks in my guides or on my spool lip. The line was breaking mid way between the end of my rod and the hook. I've never had that happen like that before or since.

I came back and bitched about it on another forum (this is long before Stipers247) and it turned out that I was far from the only guy to have had this problem. In fact the only person who liked the stuff only used it in heavier tests for short leaders.