where is the POWER in power pro?? - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:18 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: where is the POWER in power pro??

I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones...... I dont have any issues with it, I've landed tuna to 300lbs on it, whale cod to 60lbs and countless bass to 50lbs... all my conventionals are spooled with it, my conventional bass gear gets used 4-5 nights a week,raked over clams ,rocks and mussel beds, if that was mono I'd be cutting back 25' after every fish, the line is 3 seasons old... I dont use it on spinning reels, I'm old school and still believe spinning reels and monofiliment go hand in hand....In fact this weekend I winched a 53lb codfish out of 320' of water on 50lb Power pro... the same line that has been on these reels for 4 years now.... it has been raked over rough and rocky bottom and caught countless cod and haddock... I'll not be in a rush to bad mouth it...

One thing I do when I spool up ( I do this with all my line) is wet pack it, maybe it makes a differance...
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Pro Staff

I too have had more than my share of line breakage when using PowerPro, over the course of more than a dozen spools, all purchased at different times, from several different vendors. More than with any other braided line I've used. Perhaps this is due to a weakening of the line where it might get nicked slightly on a rock or something during retrieve, I don't know. But, if such slight nicks are going to so severely compromise the integrity of this "superline" that it parts the next time it is under the slightest tension, I think I'd rather use something else.

In my opinion, it's not enough to check the line prior to casting. When you have a fish on, the line is even more likely to get nicked up/weakened, and you risk breaking off before you even have reeled in the line to the point where you would be able to see the nick or abrasion.

As far as castability goes, I had little trouble with it on my setups, but when it did get tangled, it was not the easiest line in the world to work with. This alone was not enough to stop using the line,,,, it was more the breakoff issues.

All I can say is fishing the same lb test, under the same conditions, on the same rod/reel, I have not had a single breakoff, for any reason, using Fireline.

I seriously don't think anyone could logically chalk this up to operator error,,, perhaps just an inconsistency in the production of the line. Sometimes you get great line,, sometimes not so great. Sounds like Roccus has gotten some great line. I didn't.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:22 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

maybe its the lb test line and what the type of gear its used on. for me it was 20 or 30lb power pro i had issues with...on spinning and conventional...although i feel the occasional backlash on conventional must play a part in weakening the line from time to time..but the spinning set ups im unsure of the contributing factors. maybe the larger diametrs are better..maybe the type or even brand of fishing reel plays a roll too..i dont know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Pro Staff

For what it's worth,, all of my issues were with 30lb test.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:33 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I've used it on everything from 30lb up.... last season I spooled my second ABU with 30lb PP... the only issue was self inflicted, I just put a little too much heave and not enough brake into the cast.....I heard lunar lander found a funny shaped mackerel popper on mars....

Jacob, remember these fish..... those and all the others that day were taken on 30lb Power pro... and that same line has, and continues to take fish without issue...

We all must be carefull when making blanket statements about a product.... must be why there are so many manufactures... the choices are mind boggeling...

On another note, I have a good friend that fishes swords and sails in Florida.... he swears by Cortland spectra, and with the size of the fish he catches... it's worth a consideration... I love their green dot dacron, also their camoflage mono...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bait runner bass.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	6402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Double trouble.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	6403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jacob enjopys another.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	6404  
Old 06-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnySniper View Post
So...................................................
I should just expect this crap to continue as long as I use it? No matter what brand?

absolutely.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Lunker

just spooled up with braided line for the first time...I used power pro
i guess I will be losing my next fish!!!...LOL!!
Old 06-18-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
We all must be carefull when making blanket statements about a product
Joe is absolutely correct.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:18 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

well..i have to agree, joe is correct with his statement. many of us, including myself are quick to judge products we use..especially when we have bad luck with them. if it was absolute junk nobody would use it. the poor experiance many of us have had probably had underlying factors we may not have been aware of. however, for me the change to fireline seemed to cure my alements...maybe its just more user friendly on the reel i use..or able to handle the way i cast...whatever it may be, i cant speak for the many people who use power pro with no issues by calling the stuff junk. rather than badmouth any one product maybe it would be better to promote the products we have success with. another one of lifes lessons taught by roc.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:35 PM

O.K. No more bad mouthing........................................................

But I will not take the chance of launching a one of a kind plug to England again.
Or taking a chance that when a rat schoolie hits a plug the line parts without a snap,
or having the line part in mid air for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

I'll find something that I can recommend from personal experiance and post all about it.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:14 PM

Thumbs up Re: where is the POWER in power pro??

In my opinion florocarbon is the way to go for any fishing situation it is invisible underwater and the in some situations just as tough as any braided line at half the cost. it also makes a better hook set than braid. much more managable to cast, and last longer also.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Bowanna

I've got 4 poles spooled with 30lb. PP and 1 with 65 lb. PP for the 4th season now. Only once did I have a plug sail away to Tahiti, and it was because the line tangled on my reel and the shock made the line snap. I now use a shock leader on all the set-ups. I had a friend who kept getting break-offs until we figured out that the line wasn't breaking, the knot was coming undone. He switched to the polamar knot and never again had a problem (3 seasos now). If attaching the line to a leader without a swivel, use the Albright knot, but lock the Albright with a uni-knot (3 wraps) as shown on the pamphlet in the package. If not locked, the albright will just slip out. I've dragged the line through rock, jetties, mussel beds, etc. with no problems. The polamar seems to be the only knot that doesn't slip with braid when tying to swivels, hooks, lures, etc. I like PP!
Old 06-18-2008, 08:06 PM

J. Owen Im assuming you mean flourocarbon coated line - like p line.
Regular flouro is too stiff - just as expensive as braid if not more - and way too much memory to use as a line.

The two braids i like are fireline and Sufix performance. Maybe because thats all i buy now. Havent bought power pro in a while.
If I got it for free i would try it again.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:07 AM

If I got it for free, I would not even use it to fly a kite, I'd be afraid to lose the kite.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Lunker

Default greenie and braid??

used the PP last night, also my first experience with braided......wow those plugs and bait cast a lot further with braid. I also noticed how sensitive it is. a bitch to tie knots in the night though takes some getting used to but I think I will like it.
I have a 710 greenie are these reels ok to spool with braid for a goog like myself or should I hold off?