Hello- Newbie to Striper fishing and this board - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Indiana Stripers and Wipers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 11-28-2005, 08:28 PM

Default Hello- Newbie to Striper fishing and this board

Hello all.

I'm relatively new to Striper fishing. I've only been fishing for Stripers for two seasons now.

I've been multi-species fishing since I was about five or six years old with my grandfather and father. I'm now in my 30s...

I've just begun to take fishing to the internet to find boards such as this for only a few years now to learn more about the disease I have: fishing. Not just Striper fishing.

I just bought a little bit bigger boat this past Summer that is now allowing me a little bit more freedom to more and bigger waters.

Being I live in Indianapolis, IN...I only saw it fitting to post in this Landlocked forum to hopefully learn more about the landlocked Stripers here in our area.

I've only ventured out to Raccoon and Patoka so far. Tried to get out to Brookville this past weekend...but we're down to just one car and I couldn't leave my wife and two month old baby girl at home stranded without a car should anything happen.

I'm looking to meet other fellow Striper fishing enthousiats to help me learm more about Striper fishing in general, learn baits, learn techniques and learn some of our local waters.

I'm sure I'm going to have a ton of questions, but I'll ease into this slowly and get a slow start.

- First however....are the landlocked, STripers in Indiana, which I do know are all sterile, ever under a closed season? I don't want to try and be fishing for them when I shouldn't be.

- For us here Indiana, as long as the water isn't iced over, can you still troll, cast and fish successfully in these late Fall months and on into the winter months?

- What waters have been producing? As I've been reading a bit, more like lurking for a while, I'm seeing the zebra mussles have really cleaned the water up down there at Brookville making things tough. How's Brookville been overall this year and more importantly...this time of year should I be able to get out over there?

- What baits are producing for a trolling bite? Being I'm relatively new to Striper fishing...what baits should I be looking into? I've been trolling two years on the downriggers with crank baits of different kinds and using the Striper Stump Jumpers jigs and the such...but what other baits should I be looking at to build up my Striper fishing arsenal? Any good "hand-made" baits from this Indiana area? I love buying home-made/hand-made baits for other types of fishing that I do...I'd like to do the same for the Striper fishing.

- Any other do's & don'ts I should know about Striper fishing in this Indiana area? I've primarily always been a catch & release guy. Is CPR (Catch, Photo, Release) embraced in the Striper community? Or are people okay with harvesting a few for table fare? I know a lot of the other species I fish for...CPR is a HUGE political subject. I thought I'd tred lightly on that at first.

Well...I look forward to getting to know more about this species and the sport.

Take care.

Mack
- Indy, IN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2005, 08:42 PM

Hi Mack Great to have you on board.

There is some good stuff on Indiana Hybrids in the hybrid forum also if you use the search feature and type in Indiana it will take you to a few good threads. Here check this one out https://stripers247.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3190

This dnr link will give a ton of usefull info for you http://www.ai.org/serv/dnr_fishingreport

Anyway enjoy the site. Im rooting for the colts tonight. :)
Old 11-29-2005, 12:36 AM

Thanks for the reply Jim.

I have done some searches regarding hybrids and Indiana related Stripers...however, I will be sure to check those links/sites you've posted.

Yeah...the Colts....looking good. 11-0 so far for the season. It's still a far cry from over...but I'm feeling good about their potential and their progress to date. I think now Seatle may be our biggest hurdle in the "perfect season."

I just sent my Xmas wish off to my parents... on that list was a perfect season for the Colts topped off with a Super Bowl win. We'll see....can't count the chickens before they hatch.

Here's to a safe and happy holiday season to all and tight lines for the remainder of the '05 season!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2005, 07:46 AM
Pro Staff

to the site Mack!!
Old 12-02-2005, 11:28 AM

I'm hoping to get out fishing next weekend, Saturday the 10th. Mother Nature is flurting with us right now and attempting to freeze the lakes up north shut. So I'm hoping to get out to some Striper lakes around my hometown area, Indianapolis, for the day.

I've never fished for Stripers this late in the season. I know to look for the balls of bait fish. With the cold water..what should my appraoch be for these land locked freshwater Stripers be? Trolling still an option? If so...what about boat speed? Casting? Jigging? Or should the efforts be on live bait fishing with shad?

Any other ideas?

Hoping to put a few cold water, late season, last fish of the '05 season in the boat just before Christmas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.