Restoring cork handles - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Rods And Custom Rod Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rods And Custom Rod Building Discuss on fishing rods & on custom rod building here. Saltwater and freshwater Rods

Old 03-06-2009, 04:45 PM

Default Restoring cork handles

Keeping my flyrods exposed in the sun, salt and whatever for years on the boat has taken its toll. The cork has discolored, shrunk and looking very craggy.
Other that taking some sand paper to them. Is there anything I can do to fill in the crags? Maybe re-hydrate the cork? Any tips will be welcome.
Thanks
BillyD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2009, 06:55 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Restoring cork handles

I read somewhere there was a cork sealer that could be applied. Other than that I have sanded my cork handle rods with fine grit sand paper.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

alot of guys use minwax putty and then sand it down.
some use 400 grit auto grade paper that is used wet and then cork is allowed to dry.
the one quick way to do it is remove the cork altogether without turning the rod/blank (a no-no) and after a thourough cleaning and sanding, wrapping it with cork tape.
the tape won't work for long if you muff it up in the application however.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2009, 09:34 PM

Get a cork ring from your local shop that carries rod building supplies.
Using 80 grit paper sand it down until you have a nice little pile of cork dust.
Mix that cork dust with some 30 minute epoxy and fill the holes.
Let it dry and sand the spots smooth along with the rest of the grip.
Seal it all with a commercial cork sealer.
Good as new.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Get a cork ring from your local shop that carries rod building supplies.
Using 80 grit paper sand it down until you have a nice little pile of cork dust.
Mix that cork dust with some 30 minute epoxy and fill the holes.
Let it dry and sand the spots smooth along with the rest of the grip.
Seal it all with a commercial cork sealer.
Good as new.
But if it's really beat up you might want to go with Zims idea,
Or you can smooth it down, spray it with contact adhesive and put a layer of XFlock heat shrink grip on it.
Ir you can cut off the seat and cork and replace (or have replaced)
Old 03-07-2009, 12:54 PM

I think I'll go with filling and sanding. Tape off the blank & reel seat then slather something onto the cork. If I could find some tan color bondo/bodyfiller, I'm thinking that might be sweet.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Official Member

cork dust mixed with epoxy the way to go, to clean the existing cork alcohol on a rag wipe it down cleans it right up nice.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:37 PM
First Mate

I had picked up a used St Croix Premier rod that I either am going to replace part of the handle(lower section) but most likely will repair it(fill/seal). The only problem is a slight divot were thumb is placed that I want to repair then seal. The rod is excellent except for the spot on the handle

For a cork sealer you say to use a good commercial brand. Is U40 or Gudebrod good? I have heard of Gudebrod before from some fly guys and they recommend it. Cabela's carries the U40 but don't know of it. Can you suggest a good name sealer? I will also check to see what my local shop carries as they are convenient. I have a few junk rods I may use to sand for the cork.

Of the cork subject, I have a Ugly Stik Light with one or maybe two guides that need to be replaced. How hard it this to do, I feel it just may not be worth it as the rods are kind of cheap anyway. I may be able to get the guides for free so the cost would be low, just mostly time. If I start to do it I think I may want to replace all of them because if one rusted/crack then I think the other will also. Kind of stinks as I use this of freshwater only. I do quess I got my monies worth out of it and it has hauled in many nice fish.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

rod guides are easy.
somewhere there is a tutorial here i think.
besides get in touch with shakespeare and they will send you the guides for the cost of shipping. just tell em you got 2 older ugly stiks with guide issues and they were of the lifetime warranty age.
we gonna fish together in the fall brother? lookin forward to meetin yer crazy arse!

Old 08-05-2009, 12:03 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
rod guides are easy.
somewhere there is a tutorial here i think.
besides get in touch with shakespeare and they will send you the guides for the cost of shipping. just tell em you got 2 older ugly stiks with guide issues and they were of the lifetime warranty age.
we gonna fish together in the fall brother? lookin forward to meetin yer crazy arse!
Looking forward here also. Thanks for the info on the warranty. I had read where you wrote that before, I had check there site and they talked about receipt. After checking again I realized this was the rods with 5 yr warranty.

Off Topic: In the past Roc I think it was was talking about hooks. I got a mess of lures last weekend that I want to replace hooks on. Many of these did not and do not have split rings. I know of the open eye VMC hooks but my local store does not have them. The guy at the store said I can cut the VMC eye and then bend on. Is this true? I think I will look more or send for the hooks unless I here otherwise. Are the closed eye VMCs made with the same metal as the open eye ones? I need to do alot of these I must have got about 20 to 30 lures, well more but that's the ones I will use and the ones that need hooks. I filled a 3 tray tackle box and still have more that wont fit, I only paid $10 for these although they are mostly the older style Rebels and Repalas, with many of them never used. Did get a few CC striper strikes, a CC Pikie and several Bombers Longs and Magnum size. I don't know what to do with all of these as I just filled another box the week or so before with new stuff.
I did miss out on a huge sale in NY a couple weeks ago, a guy a know did very well as got a mess of nice wood stuff. He said they easily had 500 plus lures along with about 50+ rods and even more reels. If you want I can keep you posted if I see any more coming up.

Picture below of some of the stuff, I have another box, also got 4 old tackle boxes mostly filled with crap but they do have some good hooks, bunch of copper spoons and a mess of sinkers I'm melting. I think I did allright also got a unused Ugly Stick BWS 11'($20), used St. Croix Premier 7'6"($20) and a Penn 704z($20) Sorry for this long post but I'm so happy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yard 1.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	11590   Click image for larger version

Name:	yard 2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	11591  
Old 08-23-2009, 12:43 AM
Striper Hunter

There are different grades of cork. I like cork and try to buy rods with high quality Portuguese cork. It lasts a lot longer then others.