Where and how do I catch stripers from shore in CT?! - Page 3 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Shorebound - Surf Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Shorebound - Surf Beginners Information for the Shorebound angler

Old 03-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Banned

Default Re: Where and how do I catch stripers from shore in CT?!

Been in contact with the CSA and guess what Jay they dont even fish CT that often actually in their newsletter its states that they are particularly fond of Cutty Hunk as their club was started by a group of local anglers in 93 looking to bring back some of the tradition of the Cuttyhunk Fishing Club the Cuttyhunk Fishing Association was started in the 1860's

CSA is based in Madison CT, yet they hardly fishin in the state according to the members I spoke with...and on top of that they are involved with RISAA.

Jay there is no doubt that you know how to fish I was just busting your balls....I am more than aware of where I take people fishing and on top of that I wouldn't lead any one new to the sport into the places we go or any dangerous place for that matter. Tagged fish from 93 are cool but catching fish is only one aspect of being a good fisherman. Someone taught you and for that you should teach someone else even if your not an expert (and I don't claim to be) However I learned very quickly on my own how to catch these striped things 150 over 28 my first season ever. To me (and you may disagree) it is equally rewarding to fish with someone who may not learn as quickly and enable them to catch fish....now you might see why I was frustrated.

However I have taken several people who have never made a cast for stripers in their lives and they have caught fish and had a great time. My cousin was one of them and you were there, he was 15, that was his second time out and he caught bass. 15 years old....

I enjoy taking people fishing with me and have found it to be a learning experience as much for me as it is them. Anyone that wants to argue with me for wanting to pass on the sport to others is a POS and can clean my questionable parts with their mouth....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Young salt

Am I sensing a little ternsion in here?
Old 03-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Banned

Only sexual tension....HAHAHHAHA
Old 03-09-2009, 06:48 PM

Wheres my picture of that bouy . lol
Get off my frickin rock. lol

006 in montauk.

Jon. lighten up son - these guys can fish - dont compete because you took an evelyn wood speded fishing course. it takes time and a lot of pain. Dont discount that. we paid our freeken dues and continue to do so every time out there - lessons learned. - you have to pay yours too. Its not magic because you say its so. get mad and catch that 50 first. then ill say (you got lucky) Congrats
Old 03-09-2009, 07:51 PM

My only comment to make on this complete fiasco of a thread is this..........................
If I happen upon a bunch of new faces in a spot I shared with anyone under the honor of respect for the guidance, I will show the true dark side of my personality. It's ugly, it's condescending, it's a ton of embarrassment for the recipient, and it involves a life time of regret and remorse. Not on my part, because the recipient has a life time of ducking into shadows when my appearance happens.
We all know that I am all for promoting the sport, teaching newbs the basics, and organizing events that help those that attend. Thats all well and good. I have taken local wannabees and made some learning curves quite sharp. I have an investment in some of those folks, and consider several to be my absolute best friends and fishing partners.
Burn even the most well known spot I have shared, after I have given in depth tactical knowledge and I will make a social pariah of the disloyal person.
disregard any possible spelling mistakes I have made, I'm dealing with an issue that makes my screen hard to read through the blood in my pupils.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Cow Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnySniper View Post
My only comment to make on this complete fiasco of a thread is this..........................
If I happen upon a bunch of new faces in a spot I shared with anyone under the honor of respect for the guidance, I will show the true dark side of my personality. It's ugly, it's condescending, it's a ton of embarrassment for the recipient, and it involves a life time of regret and remorse. Not on my part, because the recipient has a life time of ducking into shadows when my appearance happens.
We all know that I am all for promoting the sport, teaching newbs the basics, and organizing events that help those that attend. Thats all well and good. I have taken local wannabees and made some learning curves quite sharp. I have an investment in some of those folks, and consider several to be my absolute best friends and fishing partners.
Burn even the most well known spot I have shared, after I have given in depth tactical knowledge and I will make a social pariah of the disloyal person.
disregard any possible spelling mistakes I have made, I'm dealing with an issue that makes my screen hard to read through the blood in my pupils.
But Don't tell em all about Dave's Beach in Fall River..we don't need the Goog squad there.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:20 PM

And mine is called "Cow Town" for a very, very, very, good reason.
There is also a reason why one of the holes next to Cow Town is called the "Grave Yard" as well.
Don't forget about "Chili Bowl, "Stew Pot", and "Dead Man's Rip" either.
Or, "Mount Washington", "Everest" and "Rip-Torn".
"Bass Rock" was named 75 years ago, "Johnnies Ghost" was named after a guy that died fishing it, and "Dead Man's Point" because of it's reputatiuon for just as it states.
I got more than a few lost articles of fishing gear invested in learning these places, almost gave up the ghost, but instead, only lost a pair of waders and a rod.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Cow Catcher

Cow town still yet to pull a cow in over there but i know there there.
But around the way I have.
BTW Im swimming out to that rock this year..You know which one.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:45 PM

Everest.....................................
Too friggin perfect for the fish of a lifetime not to be there.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Cow Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnySniper View Post
Everest.....................................
Too friggin perfect for the fish of a lifetime not to be there.
That be her.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Banned

That rock is sick!!!
Old 02-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Official Member

I know this is a very old post - tough, because...

Oh my god - I've said before and people in other states don't believe me.

After growing up (and fishing, though it doesn't matter) in CT through the 60's, 70's and early 80's, I moved South - living in SC and TN and KY.

Finally, after 25 years, I was finally able to move back to my beloved CT and what do I find? The meanest, rudest, most self-righteous, self-centered people on God's (or, the gods, if it suits you) green earth.

Sure, the NYTimes has written articles about it. Sure, I've met many people from CIGNA in Chattanooga who tried to make the move to Bloomfield - and were scared back. But - I now have 5-years of first-hand knowledge that most CT folk are just mean. If you feel that I mean you - you're probably right.

A three-page thread with two or three comments about fishing and the rest from CT fisherman concerned that someone will be standing on their rock one day. As if there are too many people participating in this sport.

Do you have any idea how many fewer people fish now? Sure, that might benefit you - but what about your sport?

Which reminds me - I forgot selfish.

There - now I feel right at home. Where's that flamethrower emoticon???

Paul
Berlin, CT (on weekends)
Old 02-29-2012, 11:33 PM
Striper Hunter

Hey jon006 i want to thank you for passing on the knowledge to us rookies. I don't live in the CT area, i live in the hudson valley, NY area but i go through every single thread on this website everyday trying to gain knowledge about this amazing sport. Last season was my first season after living in the hudson valley for 24+ years and not knowing how amazing striper fishing is. I think bruce lee said it best when he said, "Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend". Basically, you can learn from any one or anything and the moment you think you know everything is the moment life humbles you forcefully. I can't seem to pm message you jon006 but i would greatly appreciate any tips or advice on how to read the water, winds, tides, location scouting , bait tips or anything that can help me improve this season.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:11 AM
Pro Staff

Jon006 was banned from this forum for ignoring forum rules, fighting with other members, doing illegal drugs at an event, and just being a general douchebag. Last I heard of him he had gotten the crap beat out of him after he let his road rage get out of control.

One thing is clear. Where ever you go, whatever you do in life, there are rules that must be followed for the greater good of the community. When one chooses to not abide by those rules, there are consquences.

Most of the guys who posted in this thread years ago are no longer a part of this forum community. This forum has always been about helping out the new guys and providing a place where they can ask questions and get answers that will help them in their pursuit of our stripey friends. There are rules in place here that must be followed in doing so.

Please note that NO ONE in charge here has EVER said that folks should never help out newbies by giving them specific information with regard to fishing spots, techniques, etc. All we have ever asked for is that if you choose to share location specific information with someone you feel is trustworthy, that you do so through a PM instead of posting it on the public forum. Many thousands of people visit this forum and read these posts and not all of them are the kind of people that you want showing up at your favorite fishing hole. To provide detailed directions and location specific instructions in a public forum is asking for trouble. You have tools at your fingertips (Private Messages), that allow you to share this sort of information with those you want to help without violating this forum policy. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Carry on.