Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

help buying a surf rod

Tags
buying rod surf
10K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  jimi4290 
#1 ·
i want to buy a new surf rod for spinning and need some advice on what type to get. I am usually bait fishing with bunker chunks or big clams off a beach with 2-5 oz sinkers most of the time. My current rod is not a true surf rod i guess. It's a shimano fx 9' rated med/heavy, up to 25lb line, 3/4 - 4 oz, and action=fast. i think this rod is too flexible to effectively cast far with the bait and sinker weight. i'm looking for a 9' or 10' rod.

There's such a huge variety of rods that it's hard to choose. Some questions i have are:

1) what are the advantages/disadvantages of the material type? fiberglass, graphite composite, graphite? i've read that graphite rods are prone to breaking.

2) i want a stiffer rod so should i go with one rated heavy?

3) should one rated up to 8 oz be sufficient?

4) as for price, i'm looking for one under $100

5) i've actually handled an okuma solaris 10' in person and kind of like the stiffness and action. what do you guys think of this rod?

6) some other rods i've read the specs on are the tsunami trophy, tica, dblue, and daiwa.

thanks in advance for helping this newbie out!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi there!
I'm definately not the rod guru around here, but I can tell you that there are some good deals to be had on Tica rods if you look around. They're not top of the line, but better than any surf rod I own.

I like a Med-Heavy action most of the time. Some rods are OK with pushing the weight rating a little. Others really have problems if you exceed the rating. For example I have a cheap 9' rod that is rated to 4oz. If I exceed 4oz (bait+sinker), I'm in trouble,,, and when you're tossing chunks, how often is your total weight less than 4oz?

Hope that helps narrow your search a little. I'm sure some of the more experienced gear gurus will pipe up soon.

:welcomeaboard:

#3 ·
you get what you pay for. get an 11 foot ugly stik if you only want to spend that kind of money. not as stiff as other rods of same price range but the fuji guides will last with braid longer than some of the comparable rods and it wont break on a big fish (at least i have not broken the three i own and had one since 1980. i have other toys but from the surf i use the tsunami (casting rod) with my 525. but the spinning rods i usually use the ugly stik. it;s really heavy and that is why people shy away, i am rather tall and can handle them

#4 ·
i want to buy a new surf rod for spinning and need some advice on what type to get. I am usually bait fishing with bunker chunks or big clams off a beach with 2-5 oz sinkers most of the time. My current rod is not a true surf rod i guess. It's a shimano fx 9' rated med/heavy, up to 25lb line, 3/4 - 4 oz, and action=fast. i think this rod is too flexible to effectively cast far with the bait and sinker weight. i'm looking for a 9' or 10' rod. I'm partial to the 10-11 ft. for the beach.

There's such a huge variety of rods that it's hard to choose. Some questions i have are:

1) what are the advantages/disadvantages of the material type? fiberglass, graphite composite, graphite? i've read that graphite rods are prone to breaking. Pure graphite can be fragile if you crash it. Composites are said to be the best of both worlds, Glass can be heavy, but not always. Glass is cheaper, composit more $, and a good graphite is,,, well expensive for my taste. I like glass and composites for casting baits. Prefer a softer glass for live eels without hardware or weight. The only "graphite" I have is in a flyrod so I can't comment much on that.

2) i want a stiffer rod so should i go with one rated heavy? There's a balance that goes with rating (imo). For me a heavy 6 oz. is much like a med-heavy 8 oz. to a point. For spinning, you may consider that a heavy may tear the hook out of the bait when you lay into it "spin" style. If you decide you're going to use a shock leader (and you probabably will when you start cracking off) Be sure you look for bigger guides and tip so the knot flows freely. I don't usually like an overly stiff rod (all personal pref.) Med/Heavy with a fast tip is nice, But don't go so heavy where the rod can't load properly. If you're planning on flippin clams,,, you may want a softer rod that'll load more gradually to help keep the clam on the hook while casting. Just something to keep in mind.

3) should one rated up to 8 oz be sufficient? MAYBE. The problem with ratings is that one companies 8 oz can be drasticly different than anouther's. I'd probably would consider a 10 oz. and expect it to handle 5 oz. and bait / chunks just fine. Then again some of my "chunks" can be 1/2 a mackeral in the fall, or a whole butterfish, etc. (I don't do clams very often except as back-up incase I run out of 1st choice).

4) as for price, i'm looking for one under $100 Think if you can add anouther $30 you'll find a much broarder selection to choose from.

5) i've actually handled an okuma solaris 10' in person and kind of like the stiffness and action. what do you guys think of this rod? Honestly don't remember ever trying one.

6) some other rods i've read the specs on are the tsunami trophy, tica, dblue, and daiwa. For the price, I've found the Tsunami and Ticas a fair and fine investment,, don't know of the others mentioned. I'm hearing a lot of good on the Ocean Master, Jimi9240 has a couple, but I didn't get to drop it on him (yet).

thanks in advance for helping this newbie out!
Something I want to mention, Heavy weights and spin are generally not the best of friends. Weight will help make the drag slip on a good heave-ho and cut distance, rod loading, and fingers. Some tighten the by-jesus on the drag, cast, and reset to lighter working drag. Guess it works, but if you forget either,,, you'll know it fairly quickly. 8-10 oz on the end of a 10-11 ft stick is a lot of inertia to control especially if you start getting into distance casting. You'll find the Walmart reels give it up pretty quickly. So you're going to need a decent (read more expensive) reel if you're looking for something that'll last. Thus the reason Baitcasters / conventionals are still being made and sold. (hint :icon_stirthepot: :wink1: )

Remember too, this is just my opinion and take on this. I'm sure other will feel differently (which is fine). I'm just relating my thoughts is all.

#6 ·
on the cheap...a good quality rod is an ocean master from bass pro...heavy enough for doing what you want and enough backbone to horse a good fish in pretty quick...they run about 100 bucks...worth every penny...i also have a penn power stick..another decent budget surf rod....nothing beats a good rod though..your better off spending the money on a good one.......i lerned the hard way..i finslly got a hold of a good rod...what a difference.......bigtime.

#7 ·
funny i just read floats post....i brought both my ocean masters to the ri gathering...good reviews from everyone who took a peak...they really are good rods for the money..fuji guides and seats..they look like they are really stiff, but looks can be decieveing..they have some good whip to em...ive thrown a half a mack with a 6oz weight plenty far enough into the canal with the ten footer many a times...although they throw better with the reccomended weight. sometimes you gotta go big though..and they have never failed me yet..one thing..dont skimp on the reel......just dont do it..you will be sorry...bigtime. haste makes waste..you skimp out now...you will just have to spend money again later..better to spend a bit more one time.

#9 ·
i've been searching for a rod to pair with my recent purchase of a 4500 baitrunner and saw a 10' and a 10'6" tica on ebay that i could have picked up for about $60 including shipping......but i didn't want to buy it and find out from the guys on here that they are crappy.......from what i have read of your posts they seem ok......any one have a solid review of them?? and tsunami??

#10 ·
another vote for tica rods- but stay away from the "ueha" models-lousy guides.
you can find the ugsa, or dolphin, in 10' 10'6" and 11' rated around 2-8 oz. for under a hundred bucks. they won't throw the 8oz but will do up to 6 or 6.5 pretty comfortably. i've got the 10'6" 12-30lb-,2-8 oz med-heavy,with the 4500b for those times i'm throwin eels, bait, or those 9" storm shads(6.9oz).
if you like your finger tips (and who doesn't) put mono on that reel and you and the rod will be happy throwin 5 oz and bait.
i think they make them all in both one and two piece.
a pretty strong and durable rod for the money. i think you'll be happy with it.

#11 ·
another vote for tica rods- but stay away from the "ueha" models-lousy guides.
you can find the ugsa, or dolphin, in 10' 10'6" and 11' rated around 2-8 oz. for under a hundred bucks. they won't throw the 8oz but will do up to 6 or 6.5 pretty comfortably. i've got the 10'6" 12-30lb-,2-8 oz med-heavy,with the 4500b for those times i'm throwin eels, bait, or those 9" storm shads(6.9oz).
if you like your finger tips (and who doesn't) put mono on that reel and you and the rod will be happy throwin 5 oz and bait.
i think they make them all in both one and two piece.
a pretty strong and durable rod for the money. i think you'll be happy with it.
yes I agree you must buy the DOLPHIN series or the ugsa

I picked up a st Croix triumph here http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/product.php/pid/104/sid/614/prodid/6268
free shipping and no tax find out when they re stock em call them nice folks

#14 ·
oh crap....more choices.....i'm trying to narrow it down.....NOOOOOOO.....oh well i'll tell my wife i need to buy a few different rods to add to my collection already totaling 17........its been nice knowing everyone, hope you have a great life, mine will end if actually say that to her:pbdoi::trout:

#16 ·
i have seen tica and tsunami go for great prices on ebay.....i could probably buy two for what i would spend on one from a retailer......i probably won't pick one up for a little while.....at least june once the majority of the stripers have left the potomac and i have to pursue them elswhere......so i will just be gathering facts and opinions on a few rods for a few more months.....then i'll pick everones brain for where to take my new rod and find stripers during the summer.....i didn't think i could become more addicted to fishing.......then i met a striper

#17 ·
.....i didn't think i could become more addicted to fishing.......then i met a striper
Wait it gets worse ! Its insane for the pursuit of stripers from the surf . I actually started my business because the bucktails in production sucked .
Brittle or wire hooks ? C'mon now i need a hook to tuen a head of a 30+lb fish in heavy current ....

Welcome to the Insanity !!!!!

Pm Sent

#18 ·
I havent had time to read through this entire thread, this advise may have already been give, if it has, ignore it... no one outfit can do it all perfectly... just taylor the outfit to your body and the method you most commonly use...

And great south.. I've been fishing bucktails close to 40 years.... and I've caught some fish on them that would make most men blush... I've NEVER broken or straightend out a hook from any comercialy made bucktail.. and when I fished comercialy.. there were times when thats all i used.. so do us ALL favor and enough with the brittle hook preaching... I'll turn a blind eye to your constant sales pitches, as you are a paying sponser.. but give the brittle hook speech a rest.. it;s old and redundant and simply untrue...

#20 ·
And great south.. I've been fishing bucktails close to 40 years.... and I've caught some fish on them that would make most men blush... I've NEVER broken or straightend out a hook from any comercialy made bucktail.. and when I fished comercialy.. there were times when thats all i used.. so do us ALL favor and enough with the brittle hook preaching... I'll turn a blind eye to your constant sales pitches, as you are a paying sponser.. but give the brittle hook speech a rest.. it;s old and redundant and simply untrue...
i was gonna bite my tounge, but something i hear a lot of is right up this alley...to me it makes too much sense that your lure only needs to be as strong as your line...meaning the hooks and swivels, wire and such. i feel stronger is better, however not required. if someone thinks im crazy than answer this...what lure did Al Mc Reynolds catch the 78.8 monster with? could it have been a plastic rebel? i own a few plasic rebels..and the wire is thinner than the stuff used by most of the plug builders here. im not trying to bust balls here, and i do know there is a difference in quality tackle and no-name cheap stuff...but the only time i have had a hook break off is when it was old and rusty needing a change anyway, no fault of the gear...the fault of me not paying attention. i was fortunate last fall to hook into a very large fish at the cape cod canal..she got into the current and took me to school...emptied my spool like i wasnt there...the jig head the sluggo was on was a no name brand...probably from wal-mart..it held up pretty good for the longest ten minutes of my fishing career. to me quality everything is better, however, i build plugs mainly because for $20 bucks or so a pop..ide go broke with the number i lose, same goes for when i jig the canal...cheap and free are for me...especially when the canal claims a few pounds per night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.