Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

new to surf fishing need a new rod totally confused

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Sudsy 
#1 ·
Hi! Guys:

I just started surf fishing mostly Long Beach in L.I. I was @ long beach on sunday & broke my Penn Captiva Rod(12ft) 4 inches from top of rod. I also have a shimano Tallus rod (7ft one piece) with a shimano 6500 baitrunner & penn captiva reels. Based on other posts here I did a search & found a St. Croix Premier surf rod psrs100m2 -3/4 to 4oz lure max 20lb line(10ft medium action) for $170 & also looked at Lamiglas Tri Flex surf rods. My main question is if I want to fish for stripers in Long Island due I need a rod that can hold more than a 3oz lure? Due I need a fast action rod to cast a decent distance? Especially since I had a problem casting bucktails for any distance. I would spend up to $ 225 for a rod. I probably will also look @ a Okuma reel since I'm not crazy about the Penn captiva reel, I will let my kids use the captiva off the fishing pier.

thanks,
Danny

#2 ·
I think I may be able to help you out.

I picked up a BreakAway rod a few months ago - completely forgot I had it and bought a Lami - I don't need both

Check your PM's

#3 ·
Hi Desi04 hello.gif
Welcome to the site.

Here is a St. Croix link that you can look through for different rod types for applications. St. Croix builds is a very good quality rod. And affordable for the pocket as well. Have a look if you didnt pick up one from suds. St. Croix Rod Selector

#4 ·
surf casting rod

Thanks Jim:

I was going to buy a breakaway rod from sudsy but someone I work with has 2 used lamiglass rods & just bought a new lamiglass, so for a 30 pack of bud he gave his old lamiglass rod. I am going to try & get to long beach on sunday.

thanks for the welcome.

I haven't caught a striper yet but it is still worth it just being at the beach.

danny

#8 ·
You might be able to lob it a bit but to trying to make a proper cast could easily make the rod blow up. Also keep in mind that throwing metal creates twice the strain that throwing wood or plastic does (there's a technical term for this that I can't remember right now) Point is, don't even think about casting a 3oz Hopkins.

What you have there is a great mid summer backwater schoolie rod. Pair it with a Daiwa SS 1600 and you'll have a lot of fun throwing Bombers and Yozuri's. For the bigger fish out front during the run you're seriously undergunned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.