good spots - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 03-07-2007, 08:23 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Default good spots

I just signed up for some boating safety course so my dad will finally allow me to take his boat out.....anyways are there any good striper spots in the boston harbor area?.....im talking basic spots that would be easiest for me to fish without killing myself due to the fact that i am yound stupid and have never really operated a boat alone....thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2007, 08:52 PM

Default Re: good spots

As much as I abhor spot burning in any form this is one time where a PM or two to hook this kid up with a spot where he won't get himself killed could be considered an OK thing.

But only if Brian promises that anything he's told is for his ears only. Remember, it's very important - we don't talk about spots on the internet.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:30 PM

alright i see how it is lol.....are there any islands for exampe were i can anchor up without fear of hitting rocks?....if that allows you to answer my question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2007, 09:39 PM

i mean i dont want you to give me your secret spot or anything but i just want a basic area that will be safe for me to fish and will also be out of the way of other boaters....also any tips on using a nautical chart to pick spots out? thanks a lot for any help i appreciate it
Old 03-08-2007, 08:10 AM
Pro Staff

Hi Brian,
I've never fished the Boston Harbor area, so I can't help you out with specifics, but I can give you some good advice nonetheless. First of all (and it's probably part of your boater's safety course) learn how to read a nautical chart and get yourself a detailed map of the area. This is invaluable and you should never be without it while on the water. A nautical chart is your roadmap and best friend. On it you can see all of the dangerous rocks and obstructions, shallow areas where you may run aground, shipping lanes you'll want to avoid, navigational bouys, and much other very useful info. Learn how to read a compass and how to navigate with a compass and chart.
If you can afford it, a GPS with chart capabilities is a great tool to have on board, and there are quite a few decently priced models on the market these days. Keep in mind that it's never wise to rely on GPS alone, as electronics have the bad habit of failing when you need them most. Always keep that chart and compass handy too.
Plan out your trip on your chart before you even get close to the water, study the chart carely so that you know the lay of the 'land' and have a good mental picture of what's out there.
ALWAYS, ALWAYS let somone know where you're going and when you'll be back, and stick to your plan. Here's what I do, as I usually am out alone, on a whim, in the middle of the night. I have a chart of my area, laminated, posted on the wall in my den. Before I go out, I always circle with a dry erase marker the area I will be in, where my truck/trailer will be parked, and write down what time I'll be back. That way if my wife wakes up the next morning and I'm not around, she can look at that and know whether or not she needs to call the Coast Guard .
There is no substitute for preparation, and lack of it will always bite you in the rear. That's my 2 cents,, hope it helps and good luck out there this season!
Old 03-08-2007, 09:32 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Brian,

Welcome to the party....
It appears that you are a responsible young man, taking a boating coarse is a good step in the right direction...

the others have all made some exellent points, most fishermen and women that have been in this game for awile would probably give up their spouse quicker than ther fishing spots.... Enough of the lectures.

I'll post here a few well publicised area, from there your on your own, study and time on the water will teach you the rest..

Deer island rip: this is one of the most storied areas in the whole harbor, in the mid 80's Myself and many others took some real monster bass at night wirelining swimming plugs in that rip.. do yourself a favor and learn it....

Faun bar: another storied spot, this spot is a great daytime producer with a tube and worm or live pogie or mackerel...

Charles river locks, in the spring bass push herring right up against the locks, herring are no vebadem as bait, but any artificial that resembles a herring will produce.. Hint.. this area holds winter over fish...

there are many others, you'll have to find them on your own.. good luck.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:31 PM
First Mate

I will say one thing, to this young man. It is a spot that produces too.

Under the birds. Get down below the smaller fish.

Good luck.