Guntersville AL, Turbines - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Alabama Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 06-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Official Member

Default Guntersville AL, Turbines

Does anyone know if there is a problem with the number 1 turbine at the dam? I have been up there several times the last few weeks and they are not running the number 1 at all. This makes for some horrible fishing from the bank at the dam.
Just thought I would check in and see if anyone from this area had heard anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Guntersville AL, Turbines

You may already know by now, but I typed in your question at Wikianswers.com and came up with this:

Q: What times do the turbines turn on at guntersville dam?
A: call 1-800-238-2264. When calling automated service punch 4 for discharge rate, then punch 29 for the guntersville dam.

I havn't actually called the number but your question deserves some kind of response. How's the fishing up there lately? I'm here on Smith lake and its been a bit slow for me.

LTF
Old 07-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Official Member

Hey there,
Well things have been pretty slow up there also. I have saw a couple of nice stripe being hauled in, but mostly from boats drifting the currents.
I was there last weekend and was able to land several big drum and one nice cat. But no stripe for me :(
I think the problem is that the big stripe are hanging around the far side of the dam where the turbine is on full blast and there is alot of water moving. Me being without a boat though I am kind of stuck just watching the boats catch fish while I do nothing from the bank.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:50 AM

Hi Gentlemen Dont forget to access the forecast / prediction link on the navigation bar. The TVa has reliable real time info your looking for
http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm

The gunterville link is in the drop down menu lower right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striperlover
Does anyone know if there is a problem with the number 1 turbine at the dam? ....they are not running the number 1 at all. This makes for some horrible fishing from the bank at the dam.
Just thought I would check in and see if anyone from this area had heard anything
This is just speculation on my part but elevations are lowered on weekdays During the late spring and summer, TVA varies the elevation of Guntersville Reservoir to aid in controlling mosquito populations. Elevations are lowered during the week and raised a foot on weekends to strand mosquito eggs and larvae on the shoreline. There may be more info at the Army corps link that will shed some light on the situation. If you find out anything post it wont you? Thanks
Good luck with the fishing.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striperlover View Post
Does anyone know if there is a problem with the number 1 turbine at the dam? I have been up there several times the last few weeks and they are not running the number 1 at all. This makes for some horrible fishing from the bank at the dam.
Just thought I would check in and see if anyone from this area had heard anything.
i'll find out about #1 and let you know....btw, the skipjack have just now come back to the tailrace and there are reports of stripers being caught EARLY in the morning.(some on topwater)

— Jed Clampett
Old 02-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striperlover View Post
I know that i'm just a little bit late on this one, but about that time they were redoing the boat ramp on the g-ville side, they were also rebuilding all of the turbines(one at a time of course). It did seem like #1 took forever though. If you are still fishing from the wall this year, drop me an email and maybe we can fish together in my boat. Boat isn't much but it fishes.
[email protected]
John
Old 09-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Official Member

I have a section on my website, on how to fish for stripers on Smith Mountain Lake V.A. during certain times of year. I try to give daily fishing reports. If you would like to check it out, go to www.pullindrag.com, it could be very helpful.