Jamaica Bay Info needed - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New York
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New York New York Bight - Raritan Bay - North and South Shore - Eastern Long Island -Captree - Shinnecock - Moriches - Montauk - Jamaica Bay - Staten Island - Western Sound - Long Island Sound The Hudson River

Old 04-27-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Jamaica Bay Info needed

Hello New Yorkers. I am heading down there May 14th for a fishing tournament. I wanted to get info on the area for fishing. How are the tides and current there? Marsh land? Good trolling areas for the tubes?
Will the bunker be in during that time? Any help or info on the area would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2005, 10:40 PM

Can anybody help us out?
Old 05-02-2005, 11:20 PM

Hey Guys dont know much about it havent fished there but I fished south of there and the bunker are here. Jamaica Bay is part of gateway National recreation area. This is a federal transit url but has a map. http://www.fta.dot.gov/library/polic...t/Gateway.html

The park police check vehicles and will ask you to leave the beach without it.
$50 - Annual (recently raised)
Permits are available at Gateway Visitor Centers/Ranger Stations.
Public Affairs Office
(718) 354-4606 Jamaica Bay Unit

I hear that by the airport is awesomely productive. It is estuary marshland. back there.

I may take a trip there and scout it out and give you a heads up. I wish I could be of more help. Maybe Zim has fished it. It is a pretty large area with lots of access. and tidal situations. Breezy point is rougher surf.

https://stripers247.com/phpBB2/viewto...ht=jamaica+bay

20 sq mi SW Long Island, SE N.Y., separated from the Atlantic Ocean by Rockaway Peninsula; the Rockaway Inlet links it to the sea. The shallow bay has many islands, and its shores are generally marshy. Nearly all of the bay is in the boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens, New York. John F. Kennedy International Airport also extends into the bay. This area offers excellent access to flats and jetties.
Favorite fishing spots in the Jamaica Bay area include Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn; Canarsie Pier in Jamaica, Queens; and Breezy Point in Rockaway, New York.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2005, 12:42 AM

Jim thanks a bunch. Our may concern was too find out how strong the tides and current are there. Its not too much of safety standpoint but I just want to know if we can troll the area comfortably without being in a constant paddle but not making progress on the troll. We deal with up too 10' tides here around the Boston and Cape. From what Jam Bay shows are tides at 5'. I was thinking that it will not be much of a pull. Our backwater areas have stronger tides and are suitable for another style of fishing other then trolling, atleast by kayak.

This info would help us get a feel for what we are up against and prepare for that style of fishing. From what I saw in pictures there is a decent size bay there. I noticed on maps that water comes in by Floyd Bennet Field and into the bay. Would this be the stronger area of current? An ideal situation would be able to do a little of both. I would like to troll the tubes, plugs etc and pic of fish at feeder creeks and spill outs. In our area its one or the other on a trip.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:14 PM

Thanks for the links. It's appreciated.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:40 PM

The mean average tides are around 3 feet. http://140.90.121.76/tides05/tab2ec2a.html#21
The new moon is the 8th and the full moon is the 23rd so you dont have the spring tides to conted with.
The currents last year at this time were between 1.2 and 2.9 knots.
http://co-ops.nos.noaa.gov/currents04/refcurrents.html
You can email them for the monthly current predictions. This data was for 2004
http://co-ops.nos.noaa.gov/faq4.html#20 or by calling their office. (301) 713-2815
Old 05-03-2005, 10:15 PM

you guys may find this link interesting. Not much help to you but interesting nonetheless. well to me anyway. http://training.fws.gov/library/pubs...xt/jb_form.htm
Old 05-06-2005, 05:18 PM

Default The Fishing Line may help...

check out the fishingline.com there may be some information there that can be of help to ya.

http:/www.thefishingline.com/jamaica.htm

Perry
Old 05-06-2005, 05:31 PM

Hi Perry.
And thanks for the info. I had to disable the hotlink to RJ's site. I hate like heck to do it but its just a cut and paste matter. The reason. I'm returning the favor from his nasty email he sent me about my link on his site.
I have a long memory. Normally I would never do that. His site is probably awesome but I wouldnt go there if he paid me to go there and Im sure he could care less if I did or didnt.
I digress anyway welcome to the board. :twisted:
Old 05-06-2005, 05:59 PM

Thanks for all the info gentleman. It has helped us out.