wood for turning or carving - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:44 AM
First Mate

Default Re: wood for turning or carving

When I originally started this plug building most of the sealers I thought of were like BLO. I had wondered about many others but thought that it may be better to peretrate than to coat. I use spar often(Helmsman and McCloskeys) as I live on a lake and I'm also a carpenter. I have been wondering about many others oils and finshes I use more often now. Things like straight tung, teak oil, propionate. I quess any good exterior wood sealer will work. I may try something other than BLO as I would rather not wait a week plus to paint.

I may even try a finish/sealer I use called CWF(Clear Wood Finish) by a company called Flood. I use their products solely for deck finishes for 20 years or so and they are by far the best sealers and exterior wood stains. If your going to stain you deck look into their product, I have used bothe Cabot on one and Flood on another and the Flood outlasted the Cabot by over 2 years. Flood used to have some great marine finishes also but they have since discontinued them. I may even try their CWF Hardwoods finish. They make the best SWF Solid Wood Finsh (Stain) this is the one that outlasted Cabots. Wel maybe I'll try a few of these and post my findings later.
Time to go my daughter just woke up and comes to me and says"I have a mushy diaper" oh JOY Time for diaper and Baaba
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2009, 05:08 AM
First Mate

Wonderful its 4 am(I don't sleep) and my daughter (3 yrs old in a month) wants to look at the fish pictures and dig through my tackle box to look at lures. She loves going to the tackle store but I can't keep her under control as she wants to play with everything. I even let her select some of my lures. Oh my wonderful little fisherwomen, one day she'll be catching a lunker. She keeps asking when are we going to the beach to go fishing. We do fish of my dock though and loves going out in the boat. A couple pics of my angel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03141.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	11464   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03142r.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	382.3 KB
ID:	11466   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03145r.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	392.5 KB
ID:	11467  
Old 07-23-2009, 10:59 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

damn, here i am gettin all mad at you and you go and show me pics of an angel... can't be mad at ya now.. soon the pic of yourself will pop up so as we can get more aquainted.
i suggested the linseed dryer that pearl paint sells as it works good for my oil glazing on canvas. should dry plugs faster. just food for thought.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2009, 09:09 AM
First Mate

Would that be Japan dryer, I will see if I can find that brand you mentioned. I could swear I used to use Japan Dryer with BLO in the past but it would have been many years ago. I do think the two are compatible. I will have a pic soon, trying to dig through crap on my pc to find one. I do most of the picture takeing so there are few of myself, plus the battery is shot on my camera(again) so pic taking is difficult

Thanks for the input, I will post more shortly about the other thing. Very short on time right now