Pike Island Dam Wiper report - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Ohio Stripers and Wipers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 04-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Official Member

Default Pike Island Dam Wiper report

spent 1/2 the day throwing spoons at the river locks came up with one snagged skip jack one channel cat and one small 2lb Wiper. No one else doing any good either. Water still a bit stained, but I think the water temp. is still the limiting factor. I work the next few days so it will be mid next week before I have another opportunity to make a trip to the river. Will post another report then, hope it is more respectable than this one.
...........Willy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2007, 08:36 AM
Wiper Guru

Default Re: Pike Island Dam Wiper report

That's some nice looking wiper water. Have you been back out yet? Do you fish from shore or boat usually?
Old 05-24-2007, 08:17 AM
Official Member

Been back out 5 times, I was able to scratch out one 25 incher that was very heavy for the length (9lb) and another at 23.5 inch about 7lb on an early morning trip. A guy that netted my fish for me told me that those were the first wipers he had seen all season, (this guys is there EVERY morning that I have been there) he tells me he is there every morning, and I do remember him from years past. I've been slinging spoons and bouncing the bottom with bucktailjigs and sliders, went as far as spending an evening throwing top water but Im not sure why, here was no signs of activity but for whatever reason I thought I might be able to stir up some wiper action.
In my conversations with the other fisherman at the Dam the news is not positive, It has got to the point that I am the only guy on the pier throwing for wipers. I fish from an observation pier which is located immediately below and adjacent to the locks, which provides a great vantage point to the white water, also immediately below the observation pier is a rocky point that extends out into the river which I wade out to feed the wipers top water offerings. both locations in the past have been very productive.
In years past I have seen 25-30 guys on the pier most armed with 10 foot predator rods and slinging 2 ounce to 3 ounce spoons and pencil poppers for wipers. Now when my son and I make the trip what we see the army of spoon slingers has been reduced to but a few. and those few have traded in the 10 foot rods and the heavy sppons and pencil poppers for tiny 5 foot light action rods that they use to make meager offerings to the meek sauger that flourish in the rocky waters around the observation pier. I continue to make the 45 minute drive about once a week,(i am going Friday morning) and I continue to be hopeful, but the reports of the other fisherman and the lack of baitfish presence is not very reassuring.

thanks for the reply Slowretrieve!
........Willy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2007, 08:32 AM
Wiper Guru

I think that is a common story throughout the region. This year is not like other years. I believe it is because the winter was so difficult this year. Shad are supposed to live only one year. Most die at the end of the year, but a few live on a grow. I read that the shad will grow 12 inches in a season but it cannot tolerate water under about 35 degrees. In a hard winter, they die off except for a few. The last several winters have been pretty mild, so there have been alot of shad that live through the cold.

On the lake I fish usually, the wipers seem entirely focused on 6 inch or larger shad. They are so focused, when I throw lures at them, they ignore the lure in favor of the bait. I'm not sure how to get past that. I have some large Sassy Shad I thought I'd try this week. Figured I'd snag a shad, rub it's greasiness all over the bait to take away the plastic odor, then give it a toss.

It's funny how you think you know something about wiper fishing, then find out you don't know much about it at all. Guess that's what keeps us coming back.

Good Luck.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:32 AM
Official Member

Hiya Slow,
I think your theory on the harsh winter killing off the feeder shad may be on the right track. I have also heard the other fisherman talking of another theory. The latest and greatest on the pier is that the Great state of Ohio has thought it wise to discontinue the stocking of the feeder shad in an attempt to discontinue the domination of the Hybrid bass species in the Ohio river due to ongoing complaints from bass fishing clubs that hold countless tournaments on the river as well as bring in additional revenue for the Ohio DNR. According to the local information the bass fishing clubs state that the Hybrids eat a large percentage of the bait forage in the river system and therefor the smallmouth and the largemouth numbers decline due to a lack of forage as well as the Hybrids eating the smaller bass fry.
I am not so sure that I buy into this particular theory, but I also do not discredit the theory at this point, being from the great state of Pennsylvania I have seen our own Fish & Game commisions do some pretty unbelievable things that really left me wondering about the competance of those presiding over these commissioning bodies.
One problem I have with the "theory of the pier" is that I was unaware that the DNR stocked feeder shad for foraqe, another gliche in the theory is that I dont believe that the hybrids and the other bass share the same habitat in the river system. But I do not discredit the theory simply because I do not have any soild information to prove the theory to be true or false.
I will say that I also fish for Hybrids in Pennsylvania in the Ohio river, the Montgomery lock and dam near Shippingsport,PA has been one of my favorite spots for Hybrids for over 30 years. In past years I have contacted the PA fish commission and asked about the lack of Hybrids in the river when the absence of the Hybrids was very obvious, According to the information that was provided to me from the PA fish commission the Hybrid fry are not always available to the state for stocking, so with that being said at times what they say happens is that we experience a "gap" due to the fact that the Hybrids experience a short life cycle and the lack of a reliable stocking program we experience from time to time a lean year or two. What I do not understand with this reasoning is the lack of bait forage as well, my response to that question from the fish commission was that they do stock bait forage for the hybrids and in the years when the Hybrid numbers are on the decline they do not invest the commission moneys into bait forage for hybrids that are non existent.
but for whatever it is worth I am experiencing the same lack of fish in PA on the Ohio river.So for now I am open ears to a new location to fish for the mighty wipers, I have a PA fishing lisc. and an Ohio fish lisc. and am open to suggestions.
thanks for listening.
..........Willy
Old 05-25-2007, 06:40 AM

Willy I find it interesting that PA would stock shad, to feed wipers, or any other species.
As for where to fish, I'm all the way downstream in Cincy, but the dams on the OH this way are still holding fish, OH, WV and KY are aggessive in their respective hybrid stocking programs.
You may be due a road trip.
LMJ
Old 05-25-2007, 07:41 AM
Official Member

Hiya LMJ,
I also found it interesting that we stock bait forage, but that was the information I was given by an officer of the fish commission, Of course keep in mind that I was also told b y an officer of the PA game commission that the game commission did not stock coyotes in Washington or Greene counties, as always I believed until I had evidence to dispute. until A freind of mine called me at 7am and told me to meet him at a local farm to show me first hand a coyote that he had trapped in Washington county with a collar on it and an identification plate on the collar which read PA Game Commission. So I guess with that I would have to say that i can be gullable at times, at least to a point.
A road trip is sounding better and better, I have one other ace in the hole, the Monongahelia river. In past years I have been able to scratch out wipers from the Mon when the Ohio river was in a lean year, the only draw back to the Mon is the recreational boating traffic on the river this time of the year and the fact that the wipers seem to run a bit smaller on the Mon than they do on the Ohio.
Would you know of any lakes on this end of Ohio that hold stripers of hybrids?
Sine the Hybrid fishing has been dismal lately my ppartner has been trying to convince me to try Piedmont lake for muskies, but i have been reluctant, Hybrids to muskies is like going from non stop action to watching paint dry to me.
I appreciate the input LMJ, any information is greatly appreciated.
thanks again.
.......Willy
Old 05-25-2007, 09:36 AM

I have some first hand experience with gizzard shad here in Iowa. These fish will die off in a percentage of the total population. Some years it may be a high percentage and others may be in a low percentage.
One winter while ice fishing on 20" ice, I see fish come through on my Vexilar that appear to be at all levels in the water column. Some were just under the ice , so as I look down the hole I see 10-12 inch shad swim by in numbers. That particular year the shad had survived longer into the winter than in other years.
Although shad are a great food source for wipers and other large predators they are death to the population of blue gill , crappie , and other pan fish that feed on the same zoo-plankton as the young gizzard shad. There are many studies that suggest the gizzard shad will become somewhat of a predator if able to grow to large size.
In this particular lake the Iowa DNR finally lowered the lake killed of the shad and a hard winter destroyed what was left of the population. Since then the crappie and gill numbers has exploded .
My point is : Shad are great in some fisheries and not so good in others. They can explode in numbers one year and almost die out in others. Stocking should be done when needed and predator (Wiper) introduction is needed when numbers grow to an unmanageable numbers.

My two cents .... Toothfish (Phill)
Old 06-14-2007, 02:35 AM
Striper Hunter

Willy,
PM me I am trying to get a hold of you.