Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Sensitivity Lighter vs Heavier Reel

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  dman007 
#1 ·
Started surf fishing last season. Outfitted with a 10ft Andes Rod Med/Heavy Rated at 1oz-4oz Lures and a 4500 Dawia Emblem Pro. Had a pretty successful first season, caught about 10 fish but only 2 keeps. It was hard at first to keep in touch with my lures. I wasn't sure what to feel for. I was using primarily 1 oz bombers, bucktails, swim shads. But after a few outtings, I finally dialed in on the feeling of the lure and got the hang of it. Over the winter, I switched reels to a Penn Battle 5000. Because it was lighter. I just too the Battle out with my on my first day, and it felt like I had lost some sensitivity, in the rod. I found it hard to feel the vibration of the bombers. And without that there is no way of knowing if the swimming action is right.

When pooled with 300yds 50# Power pro and a 2 foot 50#leader, I weighed both reels on a postal scale. Dawia 1lb 9oz, Penn 1lb 4oz.
Does this sound right to anyway or am I just fooling myself. I could have sworn I had more sensitivity last season. But yet again I really don't have years of experience to draw from. So I just wanted to know what you guys thought or have experience in terms of lighter reels vs heavier ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.