Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Current upper hudson water conditions?

26K views 91 replies 19 participants last post by  Doc Z 
#1 ·
Hi all, could anyone provide me with current condition of albany area? Currious how last nite's rain affected the river as I would like to call in sick to work tomorrow!
Thanks!

#5 ·
6-10" of visibility at Albany yesterday afternoon. I couldn't jig any bait out of the river. Plenty of activity on the ff but, the trip turned into more of a scouting mission. Males and herring at 15-20' females and a few herring around 30-35'. Hopefully Wednesday will be a river recovery day and then back at it Thursday. Water temp was 58.

#13 ·
for all the boats fishing around and below the Dun Memorial bridge yesterday, I'd wonder why they were not further up closer to the dam if they were crushing the fish..
In well over 40 years fishing stripers , this is the WORST season in my experience.. From the fish I have seen being caught so far they are many under the slot and being considered "keepers" , not released for another day.
The conditions are Lousy out there , have been since Mondays storm and don't look to improve in the next week or so..
We tried jigging by the U-Haul in Albany for about 6 hrs. With the Many, many boats , including at least 3 charters I could identify , we seen ONE , yes 1 herring caught. My screen was completely blank the entire time.
Water temp dropped from 59 on weds to 56 Thursday.

Using chunk has proven useless to us. In every and any spot we must have caught every turd (catfish) in the river. It don't matter how you slice or dice the bait , fresh or frozen, the turds wouldn't stay away..

Those who are doing well , congratulations but it is few and far there are any consistent catches going on out there IMO.
Something is amiss , be it bait or numbers of stripers .

As for conditions . Charters I know are cancelling paid trips. If they are not going out fishing which is their livelihood, you know conditions are POOR at best.

#14 ·
for all the boats fishing around and below the Dun Memorial bridge yesterday, I'd wonder why they were not further up closer to the dam if they were crushing the fish..
In well over 40 years fishing stripers , this is the WORST season in my experience.. From the fish I have seen being caught so far they are many under the slot and being considered "keepers" , not released for another day.
The conditions are Lousy out there , have been since Mondays storm and don't look to improve in the next week or so..
We tried jigging by the U-Haul in Albany for about 6 hrs. With the Many, many boats , including at least 3 charters I could identify , we seen ONE , yes 1 herring caught. My screen was completely blank the entire time.
Water temp dropped from 59 on weds to 56 Thursday.

Using chunk has proven useless to us. In every and any spot we must have caught every turd (catfish) in the river. It don't matter how you slice or dice the bait , fresh or frozen, the turds wouldn't stay away..

Those who are doing well , congratulations but it is few and far there are any consistent catches going on out there IMO.
Something is amiss , be it bait or numbers of stripers .

As for conditions . Charters I know are cancelling paid trips. If they are not going out fishing which is their livelihood, you know conditions are POOR at best.
Accurate assessment in my book RJ ..... my only hope is that this is just more of a typical year like we used to see where fishing didn't really get going until right about now and once the water clears after today's rain there might be a good window to catch some fish.

I certainly don't doubt Doc though because he obviously is a talented and dedicated striper fisherman. Even if fish are being caught i hate fishing at the dam or Bruno's with all of the people / drama and i don't even like being on the river when it's running high and dirty.

#15 ·
I agree with conditions, we marked a bunch of fish and we were lucky to get enough herring to fish, they were jumping all over from 8-930 am yesterday, for the amount of boats no one is getting much. Worst season for me in the past 6 yrs. I don't doubt for a second fish are here but it's not worth all the time put in, yet!!

#19 ·
No question it is my worst year in many years if not ever. I had a facebook memory pop up from 5 years ago and i was on fish number 51 on this day. This year i have 3.

I'm sure i could have a few more if i was out but i don't like shore fishing with the crowds and i don't like being on the river when it's brown and high so i'm sitting it out until the river gets back to normal.

#23 ·
Drove over the Dunn Memorial today on the way to the recycler at the port, river didn't look too bad. Got $54.00 for random scrap collected over the last year. Sweet. Will make a closeup inspection of the river tomorrow. Wynantskill running high but clear in Sand Lake, I imagine the Posty is the same.

#24 ·
I work near the Mohawk River and it was surprising how decent it was. Normally it's a mud pump into the Hudson. Anything below 30 fnu and a little sun makes jigging in the river much more productive. Hopefully this afternoons an improvement over the last several days. I haven't heard of any other stripers caught besides the ones south of Catskill.

#26 ·
They eat all year so they definitely feed in cold water .... the biggest fish ever caught on my boat was caught in mid April in 41 degree water on a herring we netted in the creek (years ago when it was legal). It hit like a catfish and fought like a catfish and we were shocked when an almost 35 pound striper wallowed to the surface.

A drop of 3 or 4 degrees in temp however will definitely slow down the bite.

As far as the spawn goes I would imagine it is a good thing because it will delay the arrival of the low to mid 60 temps that bring on the spawn.

#27 ·
I was out last thursday the 4th. It as indeed muddy and the current was rippin. I met a buddy at around 230 and we fished until 6. He had no problem getting his ten herring at the poesty early in the day. Another one of my buddies was out in his boat and got there just after he left and got 2 so i the timing had to be right as everyone we talked to said no bait. We managed two fish for our efforts and my other buddy got one all in the same spot down by the port. All 3 fish were 18lbs. Going out again this thursday so we will see how the river cleans up from not o then.

#29 ·
Dam has been hit or miss with the rain, best fishing was on outgoing.
Going Thurs. night, fish all night through Fri. morning.
Just checked current temp at 53.5, Wow, this is a slow one up here.
Really tough one from shore, saw one 27lb

#33 ·
Fished last of the outgoing from rensselaer, water 51.8, still some large debris, could not catch a herring at all, shore guys scapping, like crazy. Saw several smaller striper caught from shore. Current is ripping, boat is a Hassel at times probably easier from shore and less to worry about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.