Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Fishing Bucktails in Deep, Fast Water

8K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  richtrox 
#1 ·
For those who haven't had their fill of instructional fishing videos yet, I just completed one on fishing bucktails in the rough stuff. Hope you find it useful.

#4 ·
Hi Ben. Depends on where I'm fishing. I mold heavy bullet heads for semi-vertical fishing from piers and bridges. I like the eye placement better for vertical fishing on them. And if the bottom is not snaggy, I use them for casting from banks also. I'll match them with long rubber bodies to look like lizard fish, or even eels. But if the bottom is snaggy, I try to stick with a rounder nose profile so that I hopefully can bounce off or pop them out of snags. Thanks for the question.

#5 ·
wow,great video. I"ve been fishing jigs and bucktails for 30 plus years,one of my go to lures for many fish. You just described what I do on the fly in minutes to the fist half hour of fishing new areas with bucktails.
the Whole science of fishing them!! I wrote a couple of beginner articles for the Hudson river and very briefly described what you broke down to the finest elements. The only thing you forgot to say is that youre gonna loose jigs, this is one reason I make and tie my own,check my profile for pics.
I also fish bucktails at night in current on the river, and it is good to know the river Before doing so. Great video!!!! :adore:

#6 ·
Thanks Fy. Yes, there is no way around losing leadheads so the object should be to lose as few as possible lol. I also mold my own leadheads and actually made a video for Surfcasters Journal a couple years back on the process and some of the modifications I employ. For many years I fished almost exclusively at night and you really do develop a much better feel for fishing bucks if you do so at night.

Have a good spring!

#9 ·
Rich,
Your videos have taught me so much! Your videos are what I used to start learning how to read the beach and what to look for!

More recently I started using your advice on bing maps to locate current, and promising areas to fish, structures like the bridges, and of course parking!

I really appreciate your hard work and your willingness to share your knowledge with others!

Thanks again!
Eric

#10 ·
A great way to learn more about fishing the Hudson River, (any river) or tidal water is to visit the area at the most Extreeme Low tide, all types of structure come to view.:mental:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.