Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Who will be on the water April 1st ?

Tags
1st april water
12K views 50 replies 25 participants last post by  KayakStripers 
#1 ·
Hi guys been watching the reports here for a few years very good ans informative info here just joined the site . I'm taking April 1st. off and fishing out of Albany who else will be out there ?

#41 ·
I said I was going to, but the weather looks tough. I only have one year under my belt though. I am thinking I should push to get some time in, under difficult conditions. Ya never know.... The weather man has been wrong before, and someone has to catch the first one.

Good luck all!

#44 ·
I'm crossing my fingers and going to launch out of Kingston instead of Albany Friday . Should be fun have t fished down there in 3 or 4 years good luck to every one there should be some fish caught on Friday just hope at least one can be out of my boat

#49 ·
I went out yesterday for the morning in Rockland co area. It was nice fishing weather. I was mostly scouting around this trip. The main river was 48 degrees and I found some areas up to about 53 degrees. I saw a guy anchored up that looks like he caught a decent number of herring and maybe 1 or 2 small schoolie stripers.

I saw some scattered bait around, and only found good looking marks over one deep water section ~80-90'. I saw one baitfish surface looking a little spooked and found some good marks underneath. I tried a little bit of casting and then looked like I scared them off when I started the engine to troll. It is pretty typical early spring trip for me, especially since I can't get Hudson stripers to hit any of my productive lures. I might need to give up and just fish bloodworms like everyone else.

Does anyone have luck trolling this time of the year in the Hudson? Many other areas of the country are catching stripers on umbrella rigs, tandem rigs, or large crankbaits (stretch 25/x-rap/daiwa SP).

#50 ·
all of those lures are good providing there is herring in the area, look up http://www.tmancustomtackle.comusually posts ads on this site, they have a good short video of using Tubes and a very unique keel weight system I think you"d be very interested in, compact and interchangeable, I"M thinking of getting this system. ps. the Diawa lures have very bad hooks, recommended that you change them or lose fish due to straightening.

#51 ·
Hey FyshhTrap,

I've got Tman striper tubes and the weighted keel. They are a great trolling lure for the kayak. I want to try them more on the boat too. I ran some of them last year and caught some decent schoolies (only in CT though). Ran a tube two trips over some productive looking Hudson spots around Kingston with good marks and had no takers.

My only complaint is that they aren't perfectly weedless, especially if you are running them around structure. They snag really easily. So it is better if you are running just a single rod and can constantly adjust it. It should be fine running higher in the water column, but maybe not as productive.

Ian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.