help buying a surf rod - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:52 PM
The New Guy

Default Re: help buying a surf rod

i have seen tica and tsunami go for great prices on ebay.....i could probably buy two for what i would spend on one from a retailer......i probably won't pick one up for a little while.....at least june once the majority of the stripers have left the potomac and i have to pursue them elswhere......so i will just be gathering facts and opinions on a few rods for a few more months.....then i'll pick everones brain for where to take my new rod and find stripers during the summer.....i didn't think i could become more addicted to fishing.......then i met a striper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelthing1323 View Post
.....i didn't think i could become more addicted to fishing.......then i met a striper

Wait it gets worse ! Its insane for the pursuit of stripers from the surf . I actually started my business because the bucktails in production sucked .
Brittle or wire hooks ? C'mon now i need a hook to tuen a head of a 30+lb fish in heavy current ....

Welcome to the Insanity !!!!!

Pm Sent
Old 04-04-2008, 12:26 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I havent had time to read through this entire thread, this advise may have already been give, if it has, ignore it... no one outfit can do it all perfectly... just taylor the outfit to your body and the method you most commonly use...

And great south.. I've been fishing bucktails close to 40 years.... and I've caught some fish on them that would make most men blush... I've NEVER broken or straightend out a hook from any comercialy made bucktail.. and when I fished comercialy.. there were times when thats all i used.. so do us ALL favor and enough with the brittle hook preaching... I'll turn a blind eye to your constant sales pitches, as you are a paying sponser.. but give the brittle hook speech a rest.. it;s old and redundant and simply untrue...
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2008, 01:39 PM
First Mate

For the money I would go with the Tsunami trophy rods that a much better than the Tica. The great thing is they come in two equal lengths.

Okuma Solaris rods are just too heavy with their fat butt end.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:19 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
And great south.. I've been fishing bucktails close to 40 years.... and I've caught some fish on them that would make most men blush... I've NEVER broken or straightend out a hook from any comercialy made bucktail.. and when I fished comercialy.. there were times when thats all i used.. so do us ALL favor and enough with the brittle hook preaching... I'll turn a blind eye to your constant sales pitches, as you are a paying sponser.. but give the brittle hook speech a rest.. it;s old and redundant and simply untrue...
i was gonna bite my tounge, but something i hear a lot of is right up this alley...to me it makes too much sense that your lure only needs to be as strong as your line...meaning the hooks and swivels, wire and such. i feel stronger is better, however not required. if someone thinks im crazy than answer this...what lure did Al Mc Reynolds catch the 78.8 monster with? could it have been a plastic rebel? i own a few plasic rebels..and the wire is thinner than the stuff used by most of the plug builders here. im not trying to bust balls here, and i do know there is a difference in quality tackle and no-name cheap stuff...but the only time i have had a hook break off is when it was old and rusty needing a change anyway, no fault of the gear...the fault of me not paying attention. i was fortunate last fall to hook into a very large fish at the cape cod canal..she got into the current and took me to school...emptied my spool like i wasnt there...the jig head the sluggo was on was a no name brand...probably from wal-mart..it held up pretty good for the longest ten minutes of my fishing career. to me quality everything is better, however, i build plugs mainly because for $20 bucks or so a pop..ide go broke with the number i lose, same goes for when i jig the canal...cheap and free are for me...especially when the canal claims a few pounds per night.