All I'm Catching is Cats! What am I Doing Wrong? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-16-2007, 12:14 PM
First Mate

Default All I'm Catching is Cats! What am I Doing Wrong?

I've been fishing the just south of the Cornwall area from shore. Everytime I go out, I end up catching a bunch of catfish but no stripers. I'm using a fish finder rig with anywhere from 1 to 3 feet leader and a 4/0 to 6/0 circle hook with chunked shad or frozen herring (all I seem to catch is shad with the Sabiki rigs).

Am I doing something wrong or is catching a bunch of cats just a fact of life (like catching bluefish)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2007, 12:15 PM
Captain Booty

Default Re: All I'm Catching is Cats! What am I Doing Wrong?

ChinookonFly, You need to use live herring, the cats will not hit them!!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 12:55 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

try drifting chunks instead of holdng bottom...drift along structure if possible. this is very effective for me...drifitng mack' heads past a rocky point at one of my favorite big schoolie, occasional keeper spots kills the skunk every time...last fall, plugging eels at night past that point produced two fish just over 30". a lot of guys use little or no weight...drifting seems to me more natural anyway...does a real dead baitfish suspend off the bottom a little while the curent blows by it? holding the bottom is not always best, try it...what do you have to lose...another catfish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2007, 01:43 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

How deep is the water?? you might entertain fishing a different part of the water collum..... bass do feed on or near the surface, especialy when on herring.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:28 PM
First Mate

I've been casting out as far as possible. Judging from the angle of my line at rest, i would guess it's probably at least 20 feet. I'm going to try the drifting and fishing near the surface ideas. I'm also going to work on getting some live herring.

Thanks for the tips. Any other ideas are welcome as I'm new to the Hudson.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:27 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinookonFly View Post
I've been fishing the just south of the Cornwall area from shore. Everytime I go out, I end up catching a bunch of catfish but no stripers. I'm using a fish finder rig with anywhere from 1 to 3 feet leader and a 4/0 to 6/0 circle hook with chunked shad or frozen herring (all I seem to catch is shad with the Sabiki rigs).

Am I doing something wrong or is catching a bunch of cats just a fact of life (like catching bluefish)?
hi guy, sounds to me that you are anchored up using dead bait , if that is the case you will catch catfish and ells try drifting with the tide and keep your bait 2 to 6 feet off the bottom , i perfer to fish live herring but if you cant get it dead is ok too. as far as the shad goes you must be in a heavy area of shad . if you are using a shad dart on the end of your sabiki rig dont , what depth are you fishing . i would need more info on the area you are fishing for herring . let me know . paw daddy
Old 05-18-2007, 07:28 PM
Official Member

When we drift using bloodworms, we will keep our worms off the bottom and we wont catch any catfish. Usually fish worms at all different depths depending where we are marking fish.
Mike