striper cooking - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > The Lounge > Recipes
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Recipes Cooking your catch. Post your favorite recipes here!

Old 11-22-2004, 03:03 AM

CC

Quote:
I read the other day that if you leave bluefish in milk over night before you cook it, it takes the oil out of the fish
I suppose it would draw out the oil in the bluefish but my buddy eats em and says to boil them in water first because it will draw it out and floats to the top.
I use milk to marinate venizon. Marinade it the fridge in milk for 24 hrs then throw the milk out and repeat another 24 for real gamey meat. (with deer it depends whether they are feeding on berries or pine cones for gamieness). Blue fish probably a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2005, 09:13 PM

Cut the Striper in chunks removing as much red as possible wrap with bacon slip a toothpick through and broil.

Cut striper into steaks fillets and heat a cast iron skillet. Dip striper into beaten eggs and cover with blackening seasoning. Toss into the heated pan and enjoy the fish will taste like butter

Lay the striper on a piece of tin foil cover with fresh herbs(basil,thyme,oreagano,ect.) sprinkle some pepper,garlic,onion powder then add some olive oil and lemon. Close the tin foil and bake on the grill.

always cook at the lowest possible temp to get the pan or grill to the proper temp before cooking and the food will have a better taste than just cranking it up to high and throwing on.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:14 PM

Sorry forgot to login again.

Cut the Striper in chunks removing as much red as possible wrap with bacon slip a toothpick through and broil.

Cut striper into steaks fillets and heat a cast iron skillet. Dip striper into beaten eggs and cover with blackening seasoning. Toss into the heated pan and enjoy the fish will taste like butter

Lay the striper on a piece of tin foil cover with fresh herbs(basil,thyme,oreagano,ect.) sprinkle some pepper,garlic,onion powder then add some olive oil and lemon. Close the tin foil and bake on the grill.

always cook at the lowest possible temp to get the pan or grill to the proper temp before cooking and the food will have a better taste than just cranking it up to high and throwing on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2005, 06:18 PM

Bluefish - when they come on board, slit their gills and place them head down in a bucket to let them bleed out. I've been catching and throwing back Bluefish for 30+ years cause they taste like crap. Last year I learned ths tip and I now eat Bluefish. Try it once. I moslty smoke bluefish but on occaision I use the recipe below. They also make GREAT lobster bait.

Stripers - Filet skin side down on broiler pan. Lemon and butter. Broil until flakey. Serve with bread and beer. If women are present, add a salad.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:41 AM

Default I respect my wife?

Okay, that is too funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggs
Jonnybolt writes:I hear striper "tastes great". But I dont eat em personally. I respect 'em too much.

Yea but Jonny? I respect my wife?

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)
Old 06-09-2005, 12:13 PM
Pro Staff

Fried up a couple of my first striper filets last night. Dipped the filets in beaten egg, then I rubbed em down with a mixture of flour, cornmeal, salt, fresh ground pepper, chili powder, onion powder, grated garlic, and fresh basil (basically the same mixture I use for catfish), then pan fried em in a little canola oil. Immedialtely after they came out of the oil, I dusted em lightly with salt, and a touch of my secret recipe BBQ seasoning which really finishes it off.

Verdict,,,, Delicioso!! I should have removed most of the red meat first, as it was a little strong and didn't get eaten anyway. Also, I think they were a little over cooked as they were a little chewy, but that might just be the way they are, I don't know. :?:

Gonna try some on the grill Friday I think. I plan to make a couple different rub down mixtures to see which I like best with this particular fish. My extra spicy cajun BBQ rub (personal favorite with grilled catfish), a fresh ground black pepper based rub, and also an onion/garlic based rub. I'll let you know how it turns out!!!
Old 06-09-2005, 01:31 PM

Baitrunner, you should try lemon pepper as one of your rubs one of these days. The additional lemon flavor (over just pepper) really compliments fish. When you grill make sure your grilling surface is clean and well lubed, or it will stick and your fillets will break apart. It's for that reason I have a special rack that I use for grilling fish. It's really neat. It's two sided/clam shell-like (which locks in place) with nice long handles, the ends of which are wood. You just pick it up and turn it to cook both sides. No struggling with two spatulas to flip large fillets without breaking.

You probably over cooked your frying endeavor. Because striper is not very oily, it will become chewy if it gets too dried out. When it begins to flake, it's done; or, when the meat changes from translucent to opaque.

BBQ at Baitrunners on Friday. I'll bring the beer. :twisted:
Old 06-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Pro Staff

Thanks for the tips Tony! Beer is mandatory if you show up, lol. I usually have some fresh lemon wedges on the side for squeezing, but the lemon pepper rub sounds good too. I don't have the nifty grilling rack, so I'll just have to be careful for now.

I tend to use a digitial thermometer to check for doneness, so that I don't have to break open the fillet to check it. Any idea what an ideal internal temp for striper is so that I don't over cook it next time? I let it get to about 150 degrees last time. That would be especially helpful to know if I try wrapping any of the fillets in foil, as some people have suggested.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:28 PM

I never used a meat thermometer on fish. However, I've read that one shouldn't go below 145? at its thickest, especially if you're feeding it to someone who's pregnant. You want to make sure that any bacteria is killed. If you refrigerated or frooze the fish soon after it died, not much chance there. Shushi anyone? But store bought, you don't know it's history.

Also, on another note, because fish cooks so quickly and at lower temps than beef and poultry, after you take it off the heat, the center will continue to cook for about three minutes thereafter. Beef does too, but not to the same degree.

Besides (me) liking the texture and flavor of blacken fish, frying fish using really high temps seares the outside which helps keep the moisture from volatilising and drying out the fish.

Wow, listen to me. I sound like I should have my own cooking show.

Either that, or I'm gay. :?
Old 06-09-2005, 03:42 PM
Pro Staff

LOL,, Thanks for the tips,, I'll let you know how it turns out!
Old 06-09-2005, 11:27 PM

I have to disagree with all you blue fish haters. Personally, I like a fish to have taste. A blue fish over 20" should probaly be thrown back but smaller, let me tell you. First off as babies(snappers) if you can catch enough are fantastic tasting fish. The bigger ones are a tad more oily up to 20" but if you bleed them and cook them the same day, they are as tasty as fish can be. Filet, dredge with flour and fry for a basic no fail recipe. Makes a mean fish sandwhich too. Even baked with no flour but a tad of butter, some lemmon juice and salt and pepper and you got a good meal. Above 20' and I'd say don't bother as they get too oily by that size although I cooked a 24"er a few weeks back and it was very tasty.

LTF
Old 06-10-2005, 12:53 AM

Bait

Cut away the lateral (red line). This will make it much less fishy tasting. When cooked right it is as good as any fish even fluke and flounder. IMO
Check out Cookin in brooklyn recipe for grillin striper. The thread is here. Alan Harding recipes
Judging by that last outing with the Rock and jonny you'll have fillets all summer. :)
I have a killer venisen stew recipe for the fall.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:06 AM

I know this is kind of tangential but just wanted to say that my family and I, and my aunt's family, went to Red Lobster last weekend and the bill came out to be a whopping $378. My uncle almost had a heart attack cause he was the one paying. :( :twisted:
Old 06-10-2005, 10:17 AM
Pro Staff

OUCH!! I've only eaten at Red Lobster once and vowed I'd never go back. Food was decent, but not worth what they want to charge you for it in my opinion. I'd rather buy tackle and bait and cook my own fish, lol.

I hear flounder is really good, but I've yet to catch one, or any other flatfish for that matter. Not sure if they're really arround in the areas I fish the most. Do you fillet them just like any other fish, or do you have to handle that a little differently with flounder?
Old 06-10-2005, 10:58 AM

i subbed striper for halibut in this recipe and it was goooooood! (and easy)

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Salt and freshly ground salt and pepper
2 (6-ounce) halibut fillets
Extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons butter
2 slices prosciutto, cut into strips
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 teaspoons capers
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley plus whole sprigs, for garnish

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Put the flour on a deep plate or in a shallow bowl and season well with salt and pepper. Dredge the fish in the flour. Put a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil and the butter and get the skillet hot. Add the fillets and cook until browned on 1 side, 2 to 3 minutes. At the same time, add the prosciutto and cook, stirring, to brown. Then flip the fish, put the skillet in the oven, and roast until the fish is just cooked through, about 10 minutes.

Remove the fish to 2 serving plates. Dump the prosciutto out onto paper towels to drain. Put the skillet back over medium heat. Add another tablespoon olive oil, the white wine, lemon juice, capers, the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and the parsley and bring to a boil; boil until reduced and thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the fish, top with the prosciutto, and serve immediately.

— Jed Clampett