Striperholic Anonymous - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Rhode Island Fishing
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rhode Island Fishing Rhode Island striped bass fishing - Local discussion & reports

Old 05-31-2014, 11:42 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Striperholic Anonymous

It's the same story in the upper bay. Loads of 18-24 inch fish and no keepers . Past few outings have been great if your into numbers , but horrible for quality .
Upcoming tide is the right time to be fishing. bombers, sluggos, hogies, chunks of menhaden, and sandworms for the shore guys are getting an abundance of schoolies with a very few in the 28 -30 range. Boat guys seem to be doing a lot better than the shore guys. I witnessed some decent fish shown to me at local boat ramps and reports on the boards seem to be more consistent about bigger fish. A lot of fisherman around, and a lot of boat traffic today .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	20682  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2014, 03:51 AM
Striper Hunter

Lots of boat traffic in the upper bay and for good reason. Stripers and blues were exploding on menhaden all over the shipping Channel . Even close to shore schools of pogies were being swirled up by some good size fish. Nothing but schoolies again for me but the boats were hammering them . My brother in law and his friend got two stripers in upper thirties and another friend of mine landed a nice one in the forties. Live lining menhaden is producing keeper bass and for the shore guys like me , the contemplation of a boat purchase is becoming more and more a reality. While the schoolies fishing is pretty consistent keepers have been extremely elusive to me so far this year .
Old 06-03-2014, 12:03 AM
Striper Hunter

Got my first keeper of the year in upper bay. The fished smashed a rapala shad rap(pogie color). The photo isn't great but you get the point. Ended up being 28.5 and this fish couldn't have come at a better time. I think it is safe to say that upper bay fishing is hot right now. If you want to catch fish now is the time to be out there . From shore or boat you can't go wrong! Not a world record but a nice healthy fatty. She was safely released and will live another day .
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	104
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	20689  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 09:18 PM
Striper Hunter

Tonight was a lower bay outing and I did not find any fish close to shore .
Large pods of bait being worked by something way out of casting range. Recently beside a decent striper I got off my brothers boat it's been mainly bluefish For me in upper bay . I will start to focus onto cooler water spots. That time of year when night beach fishing should start to win. Mainly big offerings from me from now on . If something takes it should be pretty sizable.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:59 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkDaDawg View Post
Tonight was a lower bay outing and I did not find any fish close to shore .
Large pods of bait being worked by something way out of casting range. Recently beside a decent striper I got off my brothers boat it's been mainly bluefish For me in upper bay . I will start to focus onto cooler water spots. That time of year when night beach fishing should start to win. Mainly big offerings from me from now on . If something takes it should be pretty sizable.
Sholic,
Thanks for your updates....I'm new here but have fished LI Sound from boat for years. Problem was, my buddy always set us up and we caught a lot of fish.... now I'm on my own in my boat and don't know what I need to catch fish.... we used to use diamond jigs out in the race, umbrella rigs and some live baits....I am dipping my toe trying to take my grown boys out and have some bonding fishing trips...... Any suggestions on getting set up with rods/deals/jigs. Baits and such? I spent a mint setting up for freshwater but again, nothing like the tug of a 50 pound striper..... thanks.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:37 PM
Striper Hunter

Hey Spump, I fish from shore 98% of the time. I use a 9 ft tsunami surf rod with a quantum cabo 50 . I mainly stick to plugs and jigs with a slug go also being a favorite of mine. I am quite familiar with RI shorelines and have always had success in boulder fields, near bridges,jetties and moving water especially at night. As far as a boat goes , I can't give you a lot of tips there. I see guys using tube and worms , umbrellas , live fish, (bunker, eels) and know all of these things have had success at one time or another out there. I think the biggest obstacle you will find on the boat is locating the fish. In RI there is so much water to cover from boat that usually experience is what turns you to the fish. Sure you look for birds or white water and breaches but experience is usually the key. Just go fish, boat or shore and have fun . Hope that helps :) oh yeah don't fish too close to the waders , they don't like that very much .
Old 06-15-2014, 11:00 PM
Striper Hunter

Today was a clam digging trip with family. Hoards of people gathering with feet , rakes . Summer is in full swing ! South county was epic today. Boaters , tourist, beach traffic and yes Narragansett pier !!!!! In one hour we managed 75 clams with rakes. For us that is great ! I haven't had luck on the soco front but I haven't tried much either . Word is it's definately gaining steam but inconsistent . My brother got dinner plate scup, and short fluke in lower bay today. Upper bay still has menhaden but reports of keeper stripers have shifted and lower bay is much better than upper bay at this point .
Old 08-13-2014, 12:22 AM
Striper Hunter

First outing in 2 months !!!! Mung! Mung! And more mung even a weedless sluggo produced mung !!!!👎rte 1 👎soco👎
Old 08-13-2014, 11:44 AM
Striper Hunter

nice fish bro cant wait till they come back my way
Old 09-01-2014, 11:50 PM
Striper Hunter

Last two nights I have been hitting my south coast haunts.. Yesterday was a good night of fishing ... I managed a few schoolies on the beach right at sunset. Conditions were perfect . Just the right amount of wind with manageable surf , not too many weeds....... Black seven inch sluggo was best.....However, tonight was a skunk ! A lot more mung weeds and not a lot of surf movement from less wind..... Tried everything from jig and plastic to Gibbs needle......... lures kept coming back covered in weeds. FRUSTRATING !
I do believe things will get better once we get some bait close to shore. Last 2 nights I did not see any Anchovies, Sand Eels or Mole Crabs. I mention Mole Crabs cause when I'm retrieving my lure the trebles tend to scrap em up from the sand . This is usually a sure bet that I will land some fish in the area as they will usually be grubbing for them. Tautog love em too......

Any way hoping the fall pattern gets going soon ........
Old 09-02-2014, 10:54 PM
Striper Hunter

Little ones around.......
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	60
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	21705  
Old 09-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Official Member

hi walk da dog
I live near Albany NY and am thinking of coming over to Point Judith early next week hoping for stripers. I have a 16' boat. Heard of any activity near shore around the Harbor of Refuge?
here's a pic of a Hudson River striper to show my bona fides
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	21713  
Old 09-06-2014, 05:22 PM
Striper Hunter

East or West of HoR is usually great in mid weeks of September.
Be prepared for heavy boat traffic (fishermen) and heavy surf casters. If you can deal with this you could be rewarded with great memories. There is a good chance you could run into what we call a hat trick! (Striper, blue, albie ) . Reports as of late are spotty and personally for me my surf casting trips have been mediocre at best. But hey that's why it is called fishing.😎 goodluck
Old 09-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Official Member

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Senior Member Elite

We had great luck leaving Point Judith and heading to Block Island Southwest Ridge from July to the end of August. Ended up with dozens in the 40 to 50 lb range with the biggest 51 lbs-50 inches drifting live eels.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	66
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	21738