Herring report - Page 9 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:11 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Herring report

Checked out some spots in Dutchess and ulster today. Bait is here but very sporadic still. Think I'll wait till the weekend to try again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014, 09:30 PM
Official Member

"Just before that it says no snatching"

Definition of snatching on page 60 says: 'means taking fish not attracted by bait or artificial lure." Of course I can't be certain but I think its likely that a lot of foul hooked herring struck at the lure before becoming foul hooked. Plus, if you can net them (only in the main river now of course) is there really a difference?

Herring are not exactly a sport fish, although they are fun to catch (not as much fun as a shad). So as long as I stick to my 10 a day and don't net in the creeks, what difference does it make whether I catch them in the mouth, foul hook them, or net them?
Old 04-22-2014, 07:01 AM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie the j View Post
"Just before that it says no snatching"

Definition of snatching on page 60 says: 'means taking fish not attracted by bait or artificial lure." Of course I can't be certain but I think its likely that a lot of foul hooked herring struck at the lure before becoming foul hooked. Plus, if you can net them (only in the main river now of course) is there really a difference?

Herring are not exactly a sport fish, although they are fun to catch (not as much fun as a shad). So as long as I stick to my 10 a day and don't net in the creeks, what difference does it make whether I catch them in the mouth, foul hook them, or net them?
Read up a couple of posts about people getting tickets for snagging. Again i am not looking to argue with anyone about legality .... i just want to make sure i don't end up with a ticket!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2014, 08:32 PM
Official Member

I'll take it up with the Judge when and if. I think its fair and legal.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:50 PM
First Mate

We have clearly established its not legal. Nobody is trying to stop anybody from doing it if that's your thing. You may think its fair and that's ok, but stop lying to yourself about the legality. That's the only point being made here, right?
Old 04-23-2014, 01:07 AM
Lunker

can u guys please start another thread to talk about your legal issues. Thanks. tried across the river for a few hours before work didnt have an luck only fished hour n a half job called for OT clarity sucked couldnt c stoolie til it reached scap net.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:40 AM
Striper Hunter

was able to sabiki 6 in about 1/2 hour yesterday afternoon around Germantown. No stripers fishing chunk
Old 04-23-2014, 09:13 PM
Official Member

jigged the rondout today, caught a couple. also got into some shad...catch and release.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:43 PM
Keelhauler

Fished Greene County for a few hours last night. Herring were everywhere. Was catching 1-4 every cast the whole time I was there. No runs.

All time best: 42"
Old 04-24-2014, 09:59 PM
Striper Hunter

Tried jigging for the first time ever in local creek managed to get 4 but took a bit
Old 04-25-2014, 03:26 PM
Striper Hunter

Any one have any luck jigging in the main river up in Troy Albany? Lots of boats out there today.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:05 PM
Striper Hunter

Troy streams herring completely depleted ..no luck in the river either..people are chunking dead herring they find on the ground..extremely overfished.. I'd say ten thousand pulled out in the past week in one spot in one creek..extremely overfished.. it'd also sad to find garbage bags full of dead spoiled herring on the ground..in 10 hours 3 herring 3 dudes its sad to say...I hope we get blueback schools soon
Old 04-25-2014, 04:48 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglurr54 View Post
Any one have any luck jigging in the main river up in Troy Albany? Lots of boats out there today.
I fished out of Corning today and jigged 1 at around 8...chunked it and had 1 hit and run at about 9, then at about 1130 I put on the last piece and scored a 32''er at noon.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:58 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab420 View Post
Troy streams herring completely depleted ..no luck in the river either..people are chunking dead herring they find on the ground..extremely overfished.. I'd say ten thousand pulled out in the past week in one spot in one creek..extremely overfished.. it'd also sad to find garbage bags full of dead spoiled herring on the ground..in 10 hours 3 herring 3 dudes its sad to say...I hope we get blueback schools soon
you realize that the schools of herring back out of the creek and then come back a few hours later. and try adding some extra weight to your sabiki, get it down near the bottom,
Old 04-25-2014, 08:01 PM
Official Member

Fished south of Albany today from morning til afternoon, marked many fish in the deep (30 to 40') channel. Herring finally turned on in the warmth, took what I needed, could have got my limit. I think we are good to go from here on out, just gotta find them first. Used a big hookless spoon instead of a weight.
Closed Thread