Need Crankbait Suggestions! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Sweetwater Fishing -Freshwater Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Sweetwater Fishing -Freshwater Stripers Freshwater fishing discussion. Articles on tactics and techniques for freshwater stripers as well as Bass & other species.

Old 05-15-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Need Crankbait Suggestions!

Went to one of my local small-water(15acres) Largemouth haunts last night. Barometric pressure was low and steady at 29.89", and the bass were on the feed big time. Didn't get any toads but around 30 bites for 21 largemouth between 1lb and 3lbs. 9oz. I fished Storm Thundersticks, Yozuri Tobimaru, and a Cotton Cordell Red-Fin Jointed. By far I had the best response to the Jointed Red Fin. Unfortunately I lost the Red Fin to a snag halfway through the night or I would have probably gotten bit even more. Here is the Deal, the lake bottom, depth, contours,etc...doesn't hardly vary throughout the lake.... so the fish can be almost anywhere in the lake at any time of the day, year, etc. I believe their primary forage fish is a small freshwater smelt that inhabits the lake by the millions. The smelt are about as big around as a pencil and between 3 & 5 inches in length. During the day the smelt seem to go hide most likely down on the bottom(the water usually has about a foot of visibility, 2 feet on good days) At night these smelt all come up to the surface to feed. They seem to become most prolific during the warmer months and at night the surface of the pond looks like it has tiny raindrops coming down ALL over it. Most nights of the year, the bass are busting these smelt on the surface usually all night long. I have seen 10lb and bigger bass come up chasing bait like 8 feet in front of me on a fairly regular basis. I have tried numerous topwater baits running the gamut from buzzbaits to zara spooks and just about everything in between with little success. So far the only hardbait that has produced resonably well for me is the Jointed Red Fin. I am looking to try some other jointed cranks to find the one with the best action at slow speeds. Anyone have any suggestions? I need something that runs real shallow.......preferably a foot or less. Looking forward to hearing if you guys have some that work well for you. :?:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2005, 08:22 PM

If u want something that runs real shallow try a rapala original floating(run it steady* most important with them) or the Husky Jerk( i know it isnt a crank, but it does pretty much the same thing if u run it smooth).

~Good Luck
Old 05-16-2005, 08:55 AM

Lindy puts out a jointed crank bait called the Big M. It's available in silver/blue (smelt) and in shallow or deep-runner forms. They're expensive though. Even the shallow runner tends to run deep (10 feet) when cranked at high speed. Not sure I'd fish a $20 lure without having a means to retrieve it if I got hung up. http://lindyfishingtackle.com/tackle...me.php?cat=385
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2005, 02:10 AM

SoleSearcher, here is a link to a video on shallow crankbaits. :D Click Here

Here are some more links to stream free fishing videos and shows.
Click Here
Old 05-18-2005, 06:17 AM

Thanks h4xx0r, I'll check it out. No more bass fishing till next week for me. My kid has a school play tomorrow night and then thursday night I gotta get my boat gear ready for a charter to the islands on Friday night. My buddy is gettin hitched and we're doing an overnight charter rather than a conventional bachelor party. There will be 23 crazy fishin fools on board.....hope the White Seabass are on the chew!
Old 11-13-2005, 01:17 AM

I really like the Rapala Shad Rap (Crawfish color) and the Lucky Craft lures Pointer series in which ever color is approppo fo the water color/temp... I think you will be pleasantly surprised... Also the Lunker City Sluggo 6 " rigged with a 12" leader below a swivel and also treble stinger hook setup, best used with a spinning combo fast twitch and very slow retrieve... By the way, fish more than you celebrate...
Old 11-30-2005, 05:23 PM
First Mate

i also like the rapala origional, as well as the yo zuri crystal minnows