Cape Cod Bluefish Blitz - Race Point, Provincetown - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 08-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Official Member

Default Cape Cod Bluefish Blitz - Race Point, Provincetown

Hello Everybody..... just got back from 8 days out on the Cape. At least that's where the real fisherman were.... (Where were you Charlie...?)

Stayed up near the tip in North Truro, Bay side, right on the water (Just beautiful). Fished the back beaches of Race Point every day, (Miles of beach open to ORV's) and Head of the Meadow Beach (when the seals weren't around). One morning there had to be over 500 seals beached on a sandbar at Head of the Meadow. What an incredible sight...! The sound, however, is annoying as hell.

As for the fishing..... Well...!

I never saw a July like this one. You'd expect the fish to be deep during the dog day afternoons of July, but that wasn't the case. The first "Bluefish Blitz" came on my very first day at around 3:30 P.M. and (lasted over 2 hours.) That's no BS. After the first 1/2 hour of "continuous hookup's"... we jumped in the car's and chased the schools of bait fish (Tinker Mackerel) and Blues down the shoreline until they went deep and out of reach. And we're not talking "Baby Blues" either, but rather 15-20 pounders. I've still got a massive hard on just thinking about it...

With the exception of (1) day, we experienced a Bluefish Blitz every day... It was just incredible. The mackerel, at times, were literally jumping right out of the water on shore.... One blitz was just incredible. As far as I could see in either direction....the Blues were just exploding on the waters surface. Holy chit, it was a sight to behold. I lost 3 topwater rigs before I finally smartened up and put a 24" 45lb. metal leader on. You could actually see the Bluefish attack your plug, missing 2 or 3 times before the hookup. WOW, I'm still reeling.........those fish are so fast.

And the Stripers were in the mix as well. Kastmasters, Hopkins, Diamond Jigs....anything that would go deep below the Bluefish produced Stripers. We ate fresh fish every day.....

I was strictly top water (loved the action) using Robert's Lures (2 1/4oz.) and a Line Stretcher top water plug called Surface Tension (2 oz.) Both plugs have a single hook and produce great top water action, but anything would have worked. The Blue's have teeth like a Barracuda, and wire leaders are now a "must have item" for me....... Almost lost my index finger trying to get a treble hook out of the mouth of a Bluefish I caught on a Gibb (wood) top water plug.

And where there are seals, there are Predator's. They closed the beaches in Chatham while we were there. Four Great White's were cruising the beaches a mere 100' from shore in pursuit of the Grey Seals. I heard that was on the local news here in Albany. For some reason, the thousands of seals from Monomoy Island, south of Chatham, are working their way up the shores of the outer Cape....and the sharks are right behind them. And wouldn't you know it, this week is "Shark Week" on the Discovery Channel.

Thinking of heading back in a few weeks....

Till the next high tide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2010, 10:40 PM
Striper Envy

Default Re: Cape Cod Bluefish Blitz - Race Point, Provincetown

Great report. I'm headed down to Harwichport tomorrow till next Sunday. We'll have a boat so that should open the options even more but sounds like you had a great week on the surf. I think I'll take your tip about the 24" leaders, those blues can cost you a few buck if your not prepared for them. We'll probably be doing most of our fishing on the Nantucket sound side so hope the Monomoy rips produce some nice bass...Heard there may be Bonito appearing down there too. Can't wait!!
Old 08-09-2010, 08:12 AM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

I fish the Race every weekend. It can be fun. I know what you are talking about with the blue fish there were a lot of tinkers on the Back Beach. For me it was a first light bite. The last weekend in July with similar results and I took video. For the most part early in the AM there is no one else around. Glad you had a good time. The hardest part for me was keeping the seals off the fish. The seals pushed in the blues which pushed in the Macks. I only caught Bass Saturday Morning. But I am not telling where. lol
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Official Member

"Stayed up near the tip in North Truro, Bay side, right on the water (Just beautiful)."

I'm looking for a place to rent for a week this summer. This sounds like a place you would recommend. Do you have a link? I'm looking for a 2BR with a decent kitchen.