total newbie - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Kayaking Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Kayaking Stripers A forum for the YAK'rs out there.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Lurker supreme

Default total newbie

Ok fellas tear into me!! I recently aquired a Malibu Tandem Pro that I plan on using for some occasional fishing. So where does a total newbie begin fitting out his yak? I want to be able to fish a couple of areas in particular, Scortons Creek and the Chatham Flats. I've got a ton of questions like how the heck are you supposed to get the friggin rods out from behind you if you get a strike while trolling? I will on occasion have my navigator with me (11 year old daughter) hence the tandem.

Thanks and I'll try to keep the questions to a minimum while figuring this out.

My best,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2009, 08:01 PM
Lurker supreme

Default Re: total newbie

How about seats? Are they really needed? How about those Hot Seat pads from SurftoSummit? The Malibu is a sit on top, what about just one of those back pad thingys.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:13 AM
Official Member

Since I'm around I'll pass on some things that I was taught, but I'm a NooB too, so take it for what it's worth.
  • Practice. Paddle your yack in a nice pond or lake and get a feel for how it handles especially in the wind.
  • Practice. Getting off, and WAY more importantly getting back ON the boat. Could save your life some day.
  • Take it slow. One step at a time getting out on the ocean. Try to have apaddling buddy along untill you are 100% comfortable.
  • Dress for the water temps NOT the air temps. Dry suit or dry top and waders with belt(s). If you go overboard you will be glad. So will your family when they get you back.
  • You certainly CAN feel when there is a fish on and get to rods in those flush-mounted holders easily. I got my first yack fish, a little 25 inch fela, trolling with the rod in there and it was no problem. In fact, after you get used to the way the kayak feels you will find that you have no problem accessing your gear in the back of a SOT. Not the case with a traditional kayak!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2009, 07:19 PM
Lurker supreme

Thanks Mr. Grumpy, I've got a nice lake right down the end of my street I'll be practicing on. Quivers and large mouth outta break me in good and give me a basis for the stripers.

Mike
Old 06-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Lurker supreme

Ok the yak is in, now what about these dang scupper holes? I've got 10 of them!? Seriously why are they there aside from letting water IN!?!?! And friggin 11-15 bucks a pair for scupper stoppers, geesh if they want to expand the market segment on these and make more sales then they seriously need to start looking at the "accessory" markets and trimming the fat.

Anyone have a cost effective solution to the scupper stoppers? I'm saving my pennies for the X-Wing console by Malibu.

Thanks!
Mike
Old 06-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Pro Staff

The scupper holes are for letting water out, and are necessary,,, if you're in the ocean or heavy chop DO NOT plug them! I would only plug them if I'm on a calm lake or pond and there's no chance that I'll take a wave over the side or capsize. The water in the scupper hole can only come up as high as the water level outside the yak. If you take a wave over the side, it will drain out the scupper holes. If you plug them, there's no place for that water to go and you're in trouble.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Potomac Kayaker

You pay for scupper stoppers ? Why not just cut a pool noodle... or one of those yellow nerf golf balls? Both work great and all you need is a piece of string through the middle so you don't loose them.

Kayak accessories can be made for pennies... or you can spend 100s. In the end it's what works for you! That's one of the fun parts about yaking, all the DIY stuff you get to do. I have so many PVC creations it's getting ridiculous! If you ever want some ideas, pm me.

Good luck out there
Old 03-05-2010, 03:15 PM
First Mate

The scupper holes let water out also. Much needed in the surf or choppy backwaters . I have seen some homemade plugs from pool noodle. Like some others have said in this post. That is much more affordable and if you lose them you can make more. Have a blast with that thing. Yaking is fun for the entire family . Fishing from a kayak is something I can't describe without spoiling it for you, but soon enough you will know .
Old 06-22-2011, 03:48 AM
Official Member

Hello,everybody.I am a newer here.I like to make friends.
If u are the people that like to make friends too,just contact me.Haha