Portland Press Herald - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Young salt

Default Portland Press Herald

I stand quite misquoted, never the less an article/interview during my babysitting adventure @ Camp Ellis on striper fishing......of course they didn't mention my reference to stripers247, so take this~~

Finding the sweet striper spots These seven southern Maine fishing spots are popular for a reason, and it's only right to spread the word.

Bookmark & share:
By DEIRDRE FLEMING, Staff Writer June 8, 2008

enlarge

One that didn't get away

enlarge
File photo
Katt Clancy and Bruce Smith, longtime Portland fishing buddies, try their luck off the Maine State Pier.

Click here to see an interactive map of striper spots between Portland and Biddeford.

The striper addicts who started lining the rivers of southern Maine a week ago have their favorite spots.
And they won't tell you where they are.
Luckily, you can also catch a 40-inch striped bass at any of the many busy public spots, and many seasoned fishermen go there as well.
Even fishermen who are constantly hunting for new, unknown spots.
Even fishermen who sometimes end up in places they are not supposed to be.
"I was fishing in the National Park, and I called (a fishing buddy) up and said, 'Man, I'm at a great spot. Nobody is fishing here,' " said Will Evangelista of Biddeford.
That park would be the Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge, which is closed to fishing. Don't go there.
Instead, try some of the seven better-known striped bass fishing spots listed below. Some seem over-fished, overcrowded and even redundant, but the fishing reports that come out of these old haunts make them worth a look.
For example, the jetty at the mouth of the Saco River tends to have a crowd during the outgoing tide --
every 12 hours -- but some of the more avid striper fishermen say it's actually great anytime.
"There is never a situation where you can never, ever catch fish," said Evangelista as he put a sandworm on his hook at the jetty.
The same is said at Maine State Pier off Commercial Street in Portland's Old Port, where Katt Clancy and Bruce Smith have fished for decades, sometimes for 18 hours straight. "It gets busy. But real fisherman show common courtesy," Smith said.
The Portland pier may be one of the oldest fishing spots in a city that was founded in 1632. The docks beside Maine's biggest city are a gimmee. So are the extraordinary fish tales that come out of there.
"I call it combat fishing here. There will be 40 to 50 fishermen lining the pier. People throw their lines everywhere. There are a lot of careless people. I've thrown a couple of people in the water," Clancy said... without emphasis.
With that, here is our goodwill list of some of southern Maine's most popular fishing spots (shared in the spirit of friendship). We chose seven places known by regular striper fishermen, who are happy to tell others of their existence.
Then we rated each according to the most important criteria --namely, the fish and your chances of getting them -- based upon what we've seen in the past and word on the street.
On any given day, these ratings may be wildly off. If so, just remember what our Biddeford expert said in these pages, which is worth repeating:
"There is never a situation where you can never, ever catch fish."
Staff Writer Deirdre Fleming can be contacted at 791-6452 or at:
[email protected]
Bookmark and share this story:

Reader comments
Click here to view or add comments on this story

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2008, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Portland Press Herald

I just sent an Email, maybe we make the herald?
Old 06-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Young salt

A rule of thumb I learned from a buddy razzing me at the office after reading this article........apparently EVERY time someone's interviewed or submits an entry to the Portland Press Herald, the information is incorrect (*i.e.* I'm NOT from Biddeford nor did I EVER fish in the Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge.....never even heard of it) so take it with a grain of salt. The difference in what you sent in the email to what makes the print could very well be quite different. I can just see the headline now, in big bold print under a picture of a bunch of guys in waders that reads 'Strippers coming 247 to Saco/Old Orchard, June 27th, 28th & 29th...bring plenty of dollar bills"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Pro Staff

Did you fill out their inaccuracy form?
Old 06-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Young salt

Yeah man I filled it out, so far to no avail. Wondering if they'll print the retraction I requested in next Sunday's paper.....my guess would be probably not. So to you Deidre Flemming, I say Hello!

StriperHyper ~ Will

Last edited by GunnySniper; 06-11-2008 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Not good P-R
Old 06-11-2008, 07:33 PM

I am in discussions with this reporter, I would really like to keep a good impression, PLEASE!
Old 06-11-2008, 08:47 PM

The reporters dont know really - some do - some dont.
I once saw a picture in the New York times of a 20 pound bass hanging from a guys back on a subway train. The caption said 40 pounder caught in NYC east river.
If that was a 40 I have thousands. Im sure the reporter meant well but was buffalloed by the dude with the fish. I bet he even thinks it was a 40 still. Probably even 50 by now.
Nice to see your writeup anyway. Like the gunny says good impressions are best.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:52 AM
retired pirate

My press release for the masses goes as follows:

"Striped bass are in fact make believe. If however they did exist then the only likely place to catch one would be the East River in NYC. Maine only has northern pike alligators and fishing here frequently results in a loss of limbs due to mysterious illnesses, marital infidelity,alcoholism, herecy, and often impotence. Please continue to buy local Maine lobster and support the struggling local commercial fishing community. There is no danger there. Remember that if you still believe the rumors of fish being in fact real that they can only be caught in the East River, that is if they did exist, which they do not. Thank you."

Old 06-12-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesurfcasta View Post
My press release for the masses goes as follows:

"Striped bass are in fact make believe. If however they did exist then the only likely place to catch one would be the East River in NYC. Maine only has northern pike alligators and fishing here frequently results in a loss of limbs due to mysterious illnesses, marital infidelity,alcoholism, herecy, and often impotence. Please continue to buy local Maine lobster and support the struggling local commercial fishing community. There is no danger there. Remember that if you still believe the rumors of fish being in fact real that they can only be caught in the East River, that is if they did exist, which they do not. Thank you."

Sounds like the right info to pass along!