What is workin? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 05-28-2008, 12:59 PM
LunkerSpunker

Default What is workin?

I'm thinkin about headed out for an overnighter from shore in RI/Eastern CT, just wondering what plugs / softbaits / bait I should bring along . If your gonna say eels or sluggos, already bringin em . What else would you guys recommend for this time of year? I'm thinkin the bigger the better right? .....well as far as hookin up with with a good size fish...
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2008, 08:11 PM

Default Re: What is workin?

i have been throwing mostly plugs and sluggos out there in the breachways. I have been fishing the river also with some storm shads but nothing.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:15 AM
LunkerSpunker

...gonna head to a tackle shop at lunch today....no suggestions? Well I think then ill be picking up some jigs...and...
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2008, 10:30 AM
in awe of real fisherman

If I had caught anything this year yet I would have a lot of advice for ya! :)
but we have been getting a lot of swirls behind pencils in Red/yellow or White around daybreak...
Old 05-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Lunker

pencil poppers....2-3 oz.....pearl....

also some needles.....and had some swipes on a bottle popper in breachway when i could keep the seaweed off of it...yellow
Old 05-29-2008, 02:43 PM

I've had pretty good luck off the rocks (Newport,RI) throwing a six inch dark purple Mizumo???? One afternoon while I was into them, I tried switching plugs (topwater poppers/soft plastics/shad runners) and got nothing. Went back to the Mizumo???? and started hitting again...nothing huge but lots of fun between 17-24 inches. Not sure I have the name right (Mizumo) but it's a floater/shallow diver. I was using an aggressive stop/go retrieve kind of like walking the dog with a zarra spook, but pausing in between to allow the plug to work back to the surface. Stay alert because nearly all my strikes have been while the plug is floating back to the surface and most are within 30 feet of shore. Hope it helps. I've had good luck multiple days, usually on an incoming tide close to sunset. Good luck!
-Jeff
I'll be out tonight again, won't catch an incoming tide so we'll see how that goes.....as long as the wind dies down enough.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Pro Staff

Welcome aboard Jeff!
Thanks for your input!
Old 05-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

use a lipped swimmer and tie on a white teaser (not chartreuse/.blue/green but white. i think the teaser is now the way to go. water is super clear and the shy fish have eaten well. i would trigger a strike as opposed to just presenting a lure with a hope and yes the big plugs match up with the bunker but some of the worst possible scenarios i had fished resulted in fish on the teaser. just my suggestion.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:15 PM

I will second what zim said the reason why is i have just received info that the fish have been smackin teasers. that might be the way to go from now till the end of the season
Old 05-30-2008, 05:02 PM
LunkerSpunker

Zim, may I ask, and you dont have to answer if you dont want to give away one of your secrets, but what are you using for teasers? I have some small fin-s rubber shad, like 2-3 inches i was gonna try but not sure on the hook to use, too small and it will bend open and too big will be well, too big. Is there a teaser I should be on the market for (have never been able to find redfins)?
Old 05-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

i got this one zim lol normally you use a 9inch stoolie which is like a swim shad .but the little ones will work earlier in the seaseon but not now
Old 05-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

lmfao/
i am not a fan of rubber/plastic teasers. you buy them in the baitshop (which are expensive) or online or ebay. you may use fly;s as teasers as i do but my rule of thumb for them varies for color/size. get an inexpensive vise and start to tie your own as this will get you into the art of teasers and seldom do i go out (especially now) without tying one on. rainfish will be the predominant bait right now so i would go with a blue and white pattern in the 1 1/2 - 2 inch size range. danny's and metal lipped swimmers in a dark olive back tapering down to a silver with white belly as your lure of choice as water is quite clear and even though the fish look up and see a silouette per say, they key in on color and a silver sided olive topped plug to me reflects off the top of the water in a more natural way than say bright colors. (not bad to show them something they have not seen but i think with all the bait in the water now i am used to the sight of what i want if i am a fish).

Old 06-01-2008, 03:08 PM
LunkerSpunker

Wow Zim you were very specific here and I really apreciate that, it really helps me learn alot. I will look into tying my own when thing slow down but for now I picked up some white clousers and some black ones (for night). I'm gonna try them out tonight. I really wanted to pick up the actual plug you suggested but was short on money, so I'll try the danny's I have kickin around first. I remember reading on this site, a sticky forum on rigging teasers....anyone know where I can find this thread? Thank again Zim, will let ya know how I do.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbaiter
I remember reading on this site, a sticky forum on rigging teasers....anyone know where I can find this thread?
MB perhaps this is the thread in question.
https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...hlight=teasers
Old 06-03-2008, 01:32 PM
LunkerSpunker

Actually Jim it was more of a how to. I remember it specifically had pictures and the teaser that was being used was a redfin. Thought it was off the main page but cannot find it there any more..... That thread did help though but that how to was awesome.