Slugo's - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 05-11-2008, 11:34 AM

Default Slugo's

Anybody ever have any luck fishing topwater with slugos for stripers? ive seen it done on tv a few times but whenever i do it i have no luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2008, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Slugo's

Is it going side to side when you twitch it along on top or is it only going to one side - or worse, spinning ??

If it's rigged correctly it will dance from one side to the other, and a bit up and down when you retrieve it with a walk the dog action. If it only goes to one side that means the hook isn't in straight and you won't have much luck with the fish.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:34 PM

i got the action down, but i can't seem to find the right color or something. it seems like it would be a fun way to fish if i had luck with it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2008, 09:32 PM

i , my wife , and my sons..have had a ton of luck with bright green...with dots...it's usually early in the season mostly schoolies..here in maine
Old 05-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Young salt

Default 2morrow morning b4 work????

Tommorow morning hittin the Saco River hopin to get into some stripers.....any reports what they're hittin on? Got some mackerel, sand worms & clams, wish me luck!!!!

StriperHyper 'in to catch one!!!
Old 05-11-2008, 11:38 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

Good luck! Go get 'em.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:17 AM

We've been using them for about 5 years now. Over no more than 12' water, sand eel color, various retrieve speeds. Great, great fun.

Good luck this year ..........
Old 05-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Young salt

Anyone hitting anything with bait yet????? Could throw sluggo's with the 7' AND use bait with the surfcaster!! With a couple days off I'm tempted to head south, but to where, I haven't the foggiest!!!! Might as well take advantage of gas while it's only $3.83 a f*@!n gallon......on second thought.........

Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!!!!
Old 05-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Striper Hunter

I've had a ton of luck with them over the years. The trick is... oh wait.. that's less stripers for me.. oh well..good luck..

kidding..

Cast the slugo out.. color matters, but only by the day.. When retrieving think "I'm a helpless fish.. I'm hurt..but not so hurt as I can't get away.." That's what I do anyway.. you'll want to retrieve as if it's hurt.. slap the tip of your rod downward to give it action.. jerk it away.. you want the striper to "think"... hey.. it's hurt.. but it's not THAT hurt... so retrieve slow and then fast... slap slap... works for me..

rich.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:49 AM

thanks for all of the advice, im gonna try it out this weekend
Old 05-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Banned

Love them, they work well, my biggest fish from shore last year was caught on one (42")

When the herring are around they will destroy the 9" sluggos on top.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:37 PM

I've had good luck with them the past. As already stated, color matters. I do well with lighter colored ones during the day and darker at night. I don't pull out the 9" ones until later in the season. 6" work fine for schoolies. I'm not great at it, but proper rigging is key. There's some good info on this site that describes it (how to rig a sluggo). There's also a video on "YouTube". You can just type sluggo in the search feature. The one here is very good too. I just vary retrieve (slow, fast, in between) and and a few twiches now and then. It's just another tool in the "toolbox".
Old 05-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Rigging

They come with some long hooks... I have a bunch of them stored somewhere... I find that using a J hook at the tip, about half an inch from the "head" works best. Don't worry, they hang on. Stripers attack the head, so if that's what your after, then no worries. If blues are around, all you get back is the head.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:47 AM

Sluggos are killer on bass. Color can matter but white is by far the most consistent daytime color for me, black or purple at night. The 'Texsposer' hook from Lunker City (maker of sluggos) is OK for the smaller sizes (up to 7.5"). get some Gamakatsu or Owner wide gaps for the bigger ones. If you want to pick one size/color to catch both big and small - the 7.5" White will do the job.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:36 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Slug-go's and Fin-S fish dead sticked upriver in the spring can be deadly during the herring run. Slather herring scent Smelly Jelly on em, even better. Casted up into suds and whitewater around rocks downcurrent...and drifted. BOOM!