Delaware River Striper Fishing? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Delaware River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Delaware River A Forum for The Delaware River guys.

Old 01-06-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Delaware River Striper Fishing?

Sup new to the boards here and was wondering. When to start fishing for striper in the delaware river. I live right around Allentown. Now usally me and my buddys were strickly Stream and creek fisherman for trout. But my Uncle got me turned on Striper/Big catfish fishing in the delaware.

Now me and my friends usally fish over the spring/summer months. But i was wondering. Do the striper stay in the delaware or do they all swim to the ocean. Im asking this because it seems like they come through like the shad then there gone.

Now do they all leave or do some stay behind?
When should i start fising for them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Veteran

welcome, I,m sure thr delaware boys will tell you.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:46 PM

Marv, a Bills fan? Welcome to the board!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2005, 12:23 AM

Marv Welcome to the Boards.

The Delaware is mostly a spring run after June 1st. The big cows spawn when the water temp hits sixty around late April. Your not supposed to target stripers during Spawning season. April 1st to May 31st . For each cow there are 5 or 6 males that follow. Some fish stay year round. Fingerlings wont migrate south with the schools until they are three years old and 18 inches. Most striped bass are caught in tidal parts of the river. The primary spawning area is the highly industrialized stretch between Wilmington De and Marcus Hook Pa. The majority of spawned adults will remain in the lower tidal portions but as the fishery has increased and the bigger guys get bigger they have been surging upriver in large schools. Stripers can be found in good numbers south of the Delaware Water Gap all the way to Trenton. There are large numbers of bass from Easton Pennsylvania on down to Trenton.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:25 AM

thanks for the info.

Me and my buddy has a pretty decent year last year. we caught a couple +26 inch stripers from shore. Most of the best action was towards the end of the summer it seemed like everyone stopped going but we kept on fishing and were bringing them in. Nothing like having your pole in a holder and hearing zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Im afraid we lost the biggest fish of the season though. My buddy hooked a monster one night at like 3am. we had a little fire going and headlamps on so we could see a good distance out in the water. Plus we fish a drop off right where a creek dumps in the river so the water is really cold there compared to everywhere else. So he got the big fish in the shallows then we saw it turn the thing must of been about +35 inches. then i dont know what he did but the line snapped. i didnt say a word to him i could tell he was mad. So i told him to rig up and put another trout on. And then he caught a 25inch striper. his line was in the water for like 30 seconds. he was just setting his drag when he heard zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:51 AM

Marv How was your season down at easton?