Im sure someone has some ideas to help me out. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-04-2008, 01:03 AM
d0eb0y

Default Im sure someone has some ideas to help me out.

I dont own a boat, and i live in the city. One of the spots i really like to fish is from a pier. And we all know how low tide from a pier can be. 10 or even more feet to the water. Schoolies are easy landing. But the day is gona come when i get something substantial and my worry is landing the dam thing. Does anyone have any instructions/ideas of any kind on something i could use to hoist the sucker up from the water. A carriage of some sort or something? I used to have a gaf on a rope but thats even hard. Any ideas would be awesome. Anyone ever have a method they use when fishing from bridges or piers? [email protected][email protected]!!!
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2008, 01:23 AM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Default Re: Im sure someone has some ideas to help me out.

I was gonna tell you to use the gaff on the rope but you've already tried it...I never seemed to have problems with it but maybe you could try a net on a rope.....it's been done before.

Other than that your out of luck unless there is a ladder present......at Nut Island in Quincy I've climbed down the ladder at the end a couple of times to pull up fish( mostly bluefish and sandsharks) that would most likely have snapped my line.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:24 AM

Some guys are real bridge and pier experts. They use a landing basket that is lowered down on a rope, manuevered into place and hoisted up.
It is a real skill and some have perfected it to a science.
Others walk the fish down the pier to the beach when practical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2008, 07:32 AM
Pro Staff

Find somewhere else to fish. No...... I'm NOT kidding..... find somewhere else to fish. If I can't land and release a fish (of any size) safely at a certain location, in my opinion, that spot is not even an option. And I do mean safely, both for you AND the fish.

I've watched WAY too many short fish stuck with gaffs, or doing the free fall back to the water, and floating away on the surface. Pisses me off to no end and I wish that there was something I could do about it besides positioning myself down current and trying to revive them as they float past. Last season I rescued and revived at least 30-40 fish near a bridge, after they were "released" . If you can't tell,,, that REALLY burns my britches....
Old 06-04-2008, 10:00 AM
swabbie

Get a bridge net. You can google them on the internet. I've used one at the Charlestown locks and they get the fish up fairly well. They aren't a big help with releasing them and i"m not sure what tossing a bass 10' back does to it's survival rate which is something to consider.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:01 PM
d0eb0y

thanks for all the replies. Friend of mine mentioned the basket also, he said people used to use them at the dam in ctown. And the bridge net looks good too,...i could probably rig one of those myself. But like some of you said,,,the safety reasons...for myself and especially the fish. If i cant release a schoolie safely enough than its probably not a good spot to be in anyway. I agree. And at low tide it is a mighty long way to the water and i dont think too many of them will be able to handle that drop. I probably wont be fishing there 2 much this season unless i can catch a higher tide. Besides my other spot is pretty productive. Friend caught a 36 last night and i came home to the wife with a 29. I think ill stay where we were last night....thanks again everyone tho for the replies its appreciated and very helpful

Old 06-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

a harpoon! you can get two for the price of one. but seriously, every structure will enable you to land a fish. if you want to fish from a bridge or pier that has a high difficulty percentage of walking it to the beach without having it get hung up on something then it becomes necessary to either a) bring a net/. i have even witnessed the ingenuity of a gentleman who made a custom winch that fit and clamped onto the railing and lowered the net and with a 20+# fish cranked it up with ease. necessity is the mother of invention. it is not out of the realm of possibility that your structure may hold a handfull of options but i have not seen such to explain which would work best for you.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:08 PM

hey doe, that gaff worked pretty good i heard on that 36'.best bet is to buy a net! they even have nets that extend and they work the balls at the SECRET spot!
Old 06-05-2008, 12:38 PM
d0eb0y

Yea as soon as i showed up i knew it was gona be a productive night seeing that thing trying to flip flop its way back into the water.
He kept tellin me to put on bait,,,,after my 30th "LAST CAST" with the storm on i finally got into my keeper....and it was tasty!!! lol
It was cold on that corner last night tho. Had 2 pack it in.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:09 PM

Go to Sports Authority off of Rt 93 back behind Home Depot. Buy the Cummings net with the detachable handle for around $17. Walk across the aisle and but the 25 foot rope for $3.00. Pull off the handle from the net, tie rope to the base of the net. You're done, all for $20 and it works fine.

See you around the Navy Yard, I'm around most nights.

Dave
Old 06-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Lunker

DOeboy

Get in your boat and launch it in charlestown wither at schraffts or behind the projects(called the oilies). Fish the whole mystic river keying on pilons and piers. Make sure you go to East Boston down the chelsea creek all the way to the end and again fish the structure.

I catch every time I go and you don't need anything more than a skiff to fish the areas I mentioned. Right now they are red not(inland+warmer+pogies+herring=fish up the cazzoo)
Old 06-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Official Member

I have pondered this same question many times. I used to fish the kernwood bridge (Salem/Beverly) and could never get the bigger fish up. While I never attempted it I thought of this, a carabinger (sp?) attached to a rope with a large treble hook also attached to the carabinger. Hook the carabinger to your line, lower it down with the rope and hook the treble into the fish and pull up. Think this would work? I've found a better spot to go now that is right on the water. Take care, Scott.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salemscott
Think this would work?
Probably but the fish is dead with no chance of release.
Btw welcome aboard Scott.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Official Member

Thanks for the welcome Striperjim, been lurking for a while, figured it's time to participate. In my mind I imagined hooking it in the lip like the original hook, probably wouldn't work so cleanly though. The distance from the water to the bridge seems so far I don't think a net is realistic. Because of this situation I just did a bit of searching and found a place 'on the water' so I could just grab them straight from the water. Take care all, Scott.