Tsunami Trophy or Airwave?? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Official Member

Default Tsunami Trophy or Airwave??

Looking for a new rod for my Salina SA65. Will be using 30 lb Power Pro. Was looking for a 10 footer that will throw bait as well as plugs (I mostly chunk). The Trophy looks strong and durable, but the Airwave is a little lighter and looks to have better components, Handle material and guides, but seems to a lot lighter action. Both rods are in the line and weight class that I will be using.
Thanks,
Carter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Master of Nothing

Default Re: Tsunami Trophy or Airwave??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBaitrunner View Post
Looking for a new rod for my Salina SA65. Will be using 30 lb Power Pro. Was looking for a 10 footer that will throw bait as well as plugs (I mostly chunk). The Trophy looks strong and durable, but the Airwave is a little lighter and looks to have better components, Handle material and guides, but seems to a lot lighter action. Both rods are in the line and weight class that I will be using.
Thanks,
Carter

Though I do not have an answer for you I can tell you to search the tackle eval. section of the forum or repost your question there or find a good tackle shop and pose your question. I'm sure others with more gear knowledge will be able to help.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Pro Staff

Hi NH,
I've never owned a Tsunami rod, so I can't really comment,, I would say though, that it is really tough to find one rod that excels at both plugging and throwing weight 'n bait. You can get a rod that's rated somewhere in the middle, and it will work OK, but you're usually going to sacrifice performance in one area or another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2008, 11:56 AM

The airwave is more of a bucktail , lighht plugging stick .....

I would stay away from the trophy , i broke one lasr fall.

Get a 10 6 Tica tc4 , same money as the trophy but will be better for what your looking for .

MJ
Old 04-18-2008, 03:50 PM

I broke one of each rod mentioned here and a lami and a St. Croix meat stick.
Get a sturdy rod for meat and a lighter rod for plugging with.
Most of my plugging is in the 1 to 4 ounce range and some duty for tossing eels.
Meat - sometimes I throw 8 ounce sinkers and bunker heads.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:50 PM

I love my Airwave. Light enough for throwing bucks and plugs. Plenty of backbone for bait. It's 11' and rated 3-5, I beleive. You can throw lighter stuff, no problem. I was casting a shad with a .25 oz head this past weekend a country mile. It isn't the best rod for that sort of fishing (I like a lighter 9' rod for storms, etc), but does the job. So far, so good with the Airwave.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:33 AM
Veteran Elite

Airwave should do it. When you have more cash you can split the bait rod from the plugging. That should definitely do the trick. A good reel with a good drag and you should be fine. Not much respect for some reason but everyone that I know that has them loves them. I have a 7 and a 9ft that I wouldn't trade. I have 9 ft Lamis and customs and I'll leave them in the truck. I think people don't care for them because they sell them at Dick's. Put a $250-300 tag on them and they will be great. You should spool out before your rod breaks. Get the Airwave
Old 05-01-2008, 10:36 PM
First Mate

Sounds like you need two rods for each application. I bought two Tsunami to replace the Lami and so far I like them for baitfishing.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:24 AM

For the heavy stuff go with the Trophy (replace the tip). For lighter stuff... Airwave.

I have owned a 10' and 11' Trophy... both held up well. I now own a 9' and 10' Airwave... no problems there.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Official Member

Wink Re: Tsunami Trophy or Airwave??

I have a 9' Air Wave. It is a terrific rod for lighter baits and still has enough backbone to turn the bigger fish. Nice & lite too. For the money, cant be beat.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:48 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

airwave > high density blank light as a feather and strong! Fuji’s Alconite guides, Fuji Seats, vinyl “diamond” grips on some models, grade A cork or Cork Tape on other models. i like the tsunami better than a tica as i have popped a tip on a tica on a bluefish so i veer off that subject of preference.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Official Member

zimno1: the Tica UEHA TC2 supposedly had issues w/ the tip guide. The Tica Dolphin TC3 doesn't AFAIK.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

correct about that however the dolphin may be the same grade of blank as most of your blanks from alot of rod companies use the same blanks for their production (with the exception of loomis/st croix/lami/star/and other high enders. this holds true especially with the lesser grade production lines selling at walmart and kmart etc as if you look at the rod specs most all rods have the specs on them and the #s will match (forget the last # and letters or what have you but the point is i tend to veer off a line whose item or product i have tested failed me (in this case a spinning/casting rod from tica)