Dacron braided line? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:48 PM

Default Dacron braided line?

any of you guys used this? Is it good? How does it compare to stren superbraid and Stealth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2005, 09:34 PM

Old school. Very very thick in comparison to Spectra braid.
It might have some offshore use I'm not familiar with but as far as I know the only thing it's good for is rigging the tail hook on a rigged eel.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:46 PM

never used it...I like the Power Pro braid, tried fireline it's not for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2005, 11:09 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Last time I saw Dacron, it was on an old conventional setup I think, definitely ropey lol. Never tried the Stren braid, I have never been a fan of Stren brand, I dont even think I've ever used their mono either. I used Spiderwire Stealth for a few seasons a couple of years ago, had it one some chunking setups. Too ropey and stringy for me, very limp, comparable to PowerPro. Good fer jiggin', but I wouldnt ever cast poppers with it every again, especially into the wind lol. Fireline is good, its not braid, its a fused superline, so its not as limp & ropey, that = less potential birdnests/backlash (also depends on the reel, and if it lays down braids and superlines well to begin with). Ties easier knots too. But its abrasion resistance is nowhere near what it should be. I refuse to jig with the Fireline anymore, way too much fraying. Fireline XDS has the fraying resistance and everything combined to be the best line around, yet they refuse to make it under 35# test. Not sure why? If yer jiggin' or chunkin' etc., PowerPro is the way I'd go. For slinging an eel on the flats or casting plugs, especially balsa topwaters lol, etc., I take a setup with 20# Fireline on it.

I'd go back to mono in the salt before I casted plugs with that braided rope again LMAO

Old 12-30-2005, 02:18 AM

Jonny,
Stren Superbraid is great. That and Fireline are the only lines I use on spinning. Only problem is, it's mucho pricey. If Fireline and Stren were the same price I'd buy whichever one my local shop carried - If he had both then whichever was on sale.

Stealth is lousy on spinning gear - way too thick and stiff. However It's the only line I'll use on conventional - birdsnests pull right out (unlike *&*%$ PowerPro - I hate that chit. The only way to get a serious nest out with PP is to cut it out)
Old 12-30-2005, 03:15 AM

how does it cast? good, just a lil thick?
Old 12-30-2005, 03:35 AM

I know a few very old timers who used to throw it on their squidders.
I don't know anyone who's ever had it on a spinning reel.
There must be a reason for that.

You sound like a guy who just came upon a large stash of the stuff and now you need a reason to justify it. (am I right??)
Old 12-30-2005, 03:21 PM

bingo suds, found a 1200 yd spool of 50 lb test for 55 bucks, and that would last me all year, but from what I'm hearing sounds like it will only help me with my one conventional reel, and won't do any thing for all my spinning reels. I think I"m just gonna buy a couple of 300 yd spools of SW stealth in 50 and 30 lb test. So basically Dracon is more of a conventional reel braided?
Old 01-04-2006, 10:15 PM
First Mate

dacron is very good for big game trolling.you can put more and heavier line on the reeel, then you splice about 100-300 ft mono of similar size to it as a topshot.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:51 AM
Pro Staff

What about using Dacron as a backing.... say under leadcore or wire? Any drawbacks there?
Old 01-14-2006, 05:55 PM

That's what it's mostly used for nowadays. Makes good fly line backing as well.