Rod to go with my new Penn 525 Mag (Thanks to the site) - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:36 AM

Default Rod to go with my new Penn 525 Mag (Thanks to the site)

UELA527402S 9'0" (2.74m) 2 383 12-30 2-6 MODERATE FAST MH A Composite

Think this Tica casting rod would be good to go with the Penn 525 Mag, also does anyone know the quality of this rod. Also I'll take some other suggestions on casting surf rods between 50-100 dollars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2006, 11:45 AM

You've got one of the fastest reels on the planet. You should put it on a rod that deserves to have it. Ticas have their place, but this isn't it.

What are you going to be doing with the reel? Plugs, back bay, big weight n bait out front ????
Old 01-03-2006, 04:25 PM

going to be bottom fishing from the surf, eels from the surf, and plugs and jigs from the surf.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2006, 09:05 PM

Definately forget the Tica, battling that combo would take away a lot of the fun of throwing conventional.

A stiff rod (the Tica) needs either more weight or more force to properly load. If the payload is light then you need more force. High amounts of force require large amounts of skill or you end up looking like Charlie Brown tangled in his kite string.

Eels will need a softer tipped rod to be able to throw with any distance at all without constantly casting them off. A chestnut colored Lami S glass would be a great choice, fairly inexpensive too. I've got an older SB 1143 and it's the perfect match for eels. It would also be a good choice for smaller plugs as it doesn't take too much to load.

For larger wood and weight n bait you have a lot more options. Whatever you decide to go with just make sure that the tip has enough flex to load the lightest weight you plan on throwing.