Drift fishing - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 03-13-2014, 10:07 AM
Tyee

Default Re: Drift fishing

10/4, good point herring definitely have a way of sticking themselves in the side of the head
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2014, 12:00 AM
Senior Member Elite

I use the simple snell not and have never had a problem.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:38 AM
Striper Hunter

It seems a lot of the guys posting on drifting are from areas more south im looking to drift from the area esopus creek to Kingston bridge maybe to the roundout. Has anyone had success with bloods farther up in Saugerties area or is herring better. I know last year some people in Tivoli were doing ok from shore with bloods. any opinions or experience?
Old 03-16-2014, 08:49 AM
Tyee

Never herd of anyone catching them on bloods in Kingston or north, only live herring, chunk or trolling. I've gotten them on all three depending on what kind of mood the fish are in
Old 03-16-2014, 11:28 AM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerman86 View Post
It seems a lot of the guys posting on drifting are from areas more south im looking to drift from the area esopus creek to Kingston bridge maybe to the roundout. Has anyone had success with bloods farther up in Saugerties area or is herring better. I know last year some people in Tivoli were doing ok from shore with bloods. any opinions or experience?
Herring is going to be your best bet from there north.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:20 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkster View Post
Never herd of anyone catching them on bloods in Kingston or north, only live herring, chunk or trolling. I've gotten them on all three depending on what kind of mood the fish are in
I fished bloods from Kingston Rhinecliff bridge south to Black Creek and did pretty well with drifting bloods. Nothing huge but we boated 30 fish from May 7-31st after I changed my tactics.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Striper Hunter

Nice to see forum heating up. I'll add a trolling motor is essential for holding my lines vertical in a hard south wind on outgoing tide or visa versa north wind incoming tide. I fish 1 oz eggs 3 ft leader. Doc is right on with bait choice. Find them first, drift them high, more bites come high then low. Bottom fishing is wasting time for me. Most fish come in the top 20ft. I dragged Lots of baits, bloods for me. Here's a hot tip, at slack tide, crank that trolling motor just to keep you moving, works for me.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:00 PM
Striper Hunter

I use a drift sock when there is an opposing tide and wind. Definitely helps with proper bait presentation. ........