cod closure - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 04-07-2011, 08:25 PM
First Mate

Default cod closure

just saw this on another site fyi ...........sux in some ways good in others
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/News...d_closure.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2011, 10:33 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: cod closure

This is the area, I believe it encomapasses 32 SQ. miles... ( or sometrhing close to is)

IMHO, this is a good thing, when the proposal was first announced, I thought they were closing the entire Gulf of maine.. and was NOT in favor of clossing the entire gulf... as it turns out, it is only a small portion, leaving lots of area around it for the "little" guy's ...the closed area has recieved alot of publicity and pressure over the last 3 years.. 5 years ago you could count the boat on the weekends eaisily.. now.. you would need an assistant and a calculator... often times fights break out as boats andchor and drift in each others way... I've found good fishing soth west of thsi war zone, with in state bounderies and out of the closed zone..
It is my opinion, that NO ONE should be disturbing these fish while they are reproducing, cod ( and haddock) yanked out of thier spwmning ritual more than likely don not continue, and I believe in thier weakned condition may die anyway...I've fished in and around this area my entire life, as boy, and young man we caught cod off of the beach during the spring, fall and sometimes even in the dead of winter, large 20lb class pollock could be caught from the jetties, small harbor pollock fitllered into the river as far up as woodbridge Island on Joppa.... any one fishing after about 1980 will not remember any of this.. it is all gone.. my hope , and dream is that with this conservation measure, some of these inshore stocks could be replenished so my Grand daughters and grand son may someday, fish the beaches of plum Island and in the process catch cod, flounder and haddock as their grandfather ( me) one did...

My .02
Roc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whalebackpic.gif
Views:	63
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	15104