which island? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 02-25-2011, 01:44 PM
Official Member

Default which island?

Trying to plan my first fall striper trip to mass this year and i need alot of general help. I've always wanted to fish marthas vineyard and nantucket island from the surf. Is one better for surf fishing than the other? Is night fishing permitted? How about travel on beach....foot/beach buggy/atv? I have access to all 3 :).
When does the fall run generally start? i was thinking the end of sept?
thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 03:54 PM
swabbie

Default Re: which island?

Wow you really plan ahead! I'm sure your pretty psyched about the trip :)

I've never fished in Nantucket but I know the Vineyard has great surf casting. Late September is a great time, the run should be on, and it coincides with their big tournament (note lots of fun, cool people, more crowded fishing than usual). I have off roaded on the Vineyard beaches but to be honest that was when I was young and we didn't care about regulations all that much so I'm not sure what the rules are for that. You can probably google it though. Good luck!
Old 02-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Official Member

thanks bostonfisher,
well for my paticular group of guys we need to plan way ahead as we have set times for taking vacations. not sure if it'll help for areas but we sling alot of bait and do just a little lure throwing on the side. not looking for specific spots just general island area to start looking as i'm not sure if one part is better in fall or spring than another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 01:26 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Cuttyhunk...
Old 03-01-2011, 06:11 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

I was going to say that also but he seemed dead set on one of the ones with creature comforts.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:27 AM
Official Member

don't need comforts....i checked the area out and watched a few videos....I'm just not much of a lure fisherman. I prefer to sling bait and beer :) and throw a few lures on the side. And with no beach buggys ill have to lug around enough bait to last a long weekend and worry about keeping some of it alive for that long. The videos i saw showed a ton of rocks which doesn't look good for bait fishing either.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:01 AM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

I only said that because I was figuring you may be heading out with some family. I really don't know much about any of the islands. I do know Cutty is a good producer though. If you stay on the mainland and wind up on Race Point or any of the National seashore sand trails let me know. Those are my stomping grounds and i can point you in a productive direction.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Official Member

np...thanks for the advise and offer. wasn't the state record caught from that area?