Stripers in Providence River - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Rhode Island Fishing
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rhode Island Fishing Rhode Island striped bass fishing - Local discussion & reports

Old 03-20-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Stripers in Providence River

Just got an email from another group that I belong to and there was a report of stripers in the 23" to 24" size being caught in the Providence River. It's almost that time :)

Anyone catch the NE Angling show on NESN ? They filmed this segment the 1st week of March in the Thames River CT, there was a good size striper landed and tons of schoolies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2005, 01:09 PM

Hi Cuz........

I have been a Member of The Rhode Island Saltwater Anglers association for many years now.......

I bet any amount of money that thats where you got that report.

I was just reading the same thing, posted by..Oceanstatetackle.

are you a member?

You'll see alot of my e-mails......i'm "briggsdreamer2"

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)
Old 03-21-2005, 01:11 PM

And those schoolies that their catching over at the Prov power plant.....have been there all winter long(hold over stripers). most of those guys are jigging shad or some kind of plastics..

Hold out for the cows cuz !!!

aka surfcastermaster

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Hold over

Yeah Briggs got that from the RISAA or SNESA reports
I'm am RISAA members also along with my son and my daughter, I got to get a card for my 5 year old soon also.

I am just itching for something and grasping at straws

Went out today and got some leader material, hooks & stuff for tautog and fluke so I can have an early fix of wet lines. I'm going to spend a few hours making some rigs and putting together some leaders for my plugs and tubes. I think i'll put the spro swivels on the new boat rods and then I'll look at them some more and maybe dust them off a few more times.

Well if your in the need of some H/O Power Plant Stripers just let me know.. I'll be needing to wet test my boat and the new electronics on a warm day.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:53 PM

Excellent Cuz.....Good to have another RISAA member on board.

I have a 3 year old daughter who will be getting her card soon...she already has her little 2.5 foot rod, that she casts all over the house and terrorizes the cat and dog with. believe it or not, the girl has a cast on her.

I'd love to go out Cuz.....just give me a yell when you want to go.

:P Any day but the 9th of April....thats when i go up the beach for the first time this year, to catch a big fatty cow. :twisted:

Some day this summer, i'll take you to a great spot for Tautog....we wont be needing the boats.

aka surfcastermaster

Old 03-21-2005, 07:02 PM

Default I watched free divers nail tog a little past horseneck

One day I was at that little beach past horseneck and these free divers on yaks were coming in with big white chinners.

There use to be a place my grandfather swore by over I think in lil compton... we called it Elephant Rock ?? I remember being there as a kid... the smell of salt water... light fog and fish...I can remember my grandfather bringing in Cod he caught local maybe in the early 70's. I was only a tike then but I remember those big eyes staring at me in the cooler
Old 03-21-2005, 07:19 PM

I started out Tautog fishing with my father , late 60's early 70's cuz.

Its also a great great memory i have of fishing with my late father. he taught me all i know about tog fishing. We used to have to go crabbing first with bags and mussels. then you go toggin. To this day, the rocks i fish off of, produce some of the biggest togs and the most of i think.

check out this pic
http://www.risaa.org/photo/index.php...gmFilters=#pic

15 foot rod, fishing off the beach with clambellies. i didnt know what the hell i had on there when it hit me. i knew it wasnt a striper. once i got the white chinner in, she weighed in at 10.18lbs.....new risaa shore record, entered into the hall of fame, in the newsletter and all...and then, just when the season was closing....this guy Joe Barnicoat, comes along with a 10.28lb tog. And there ya have it folks....but look at the size of it in the pic.

aka surfcastermaster

Old 03-22-2005, 09:24 PM

I remember going to elephant rock as a kid. We'd swim out to the rock at high tide, climb up the barnickly bastid with bare feet (ouch!) and free jump over the left side. What fun for a kid!
As I grew up and realize that place would be great for fluke due to the sandy bottoms, I started going there often. To this day, the biggest fluke I ever managed to wrangle came from that spot. I haven't been there in years. Is it still the quaint hidden gem or has something more commercial moved in?
Old 03-22-2005, 09:43 PM

Old 03-30-2005, 05:06 PM

Default That is one big Tog

Just looking through some of the posts and I never commented on how huge that Tog is... I am itchy to hit the water and pics like that doesn't make it any easier

Chating almost time, almost time, almost time lol
Old 03-30-2005, 06:43 PM

[bThanks Cuz....she was a biggun. surprized me too, since i was fishing for stripers with a 15 foot rod and clambellies. Last cast of the day too.

I know a spot that the Togs are so big that if you dont play your cards right, they break you off every single time.

almost time almost time almost time.....

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8) [/b]
Old 03-30-2005, 07:39 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Thats a chunky lookin white chin! We dont have alot of them up here ,but I've got a rockpile on the beach front that will give up a couple each trip in the month of August,but nothing like that christa! Nice fish!!!!!
Old 03-31-2005, 12:09 AM

Thanks Roc.....

Every year i catch a bunch of Tautogs. Grew up fishing for them with my old man. Its good to get out on the rock out in front of the beach in the sun. a little change from the night fishing.

The story about that Tog is that i was fishing for Stripers from shore, Good surf so i had the 15' rod with the Penn 9500ss working Clambellies. Last cast of the day and i got wacked.....or actually, i got pulled. I knew right away it wasn't a Striper, been at this awhile hahaha. Couldn't figure it out though. Then i got it in and nearly Sh*t my pants. I literally said to myself "oh, your coming with me to be weighed", and proceeded to put it in my duffle. Got me in the Rhode Island Saltwater Anglers Assoc. Hall of fame, and 1st place in the year long tourney. 10.18lbs. Then a week before the tourney closed, this guy weighs in a 10.28lber. and there ya have it. felt like calling this guy and saying "hey !!! i wasnt even fishing for Togs ya bastid !!!". hahaha

aka surfcastermaster