Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

New to striper fishing and need some help

5K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  //Jacj6389 
#1 ·
Hi, I would really appreciate some help.

I live in Indiana, recently retired and am an avid fisherman, mostly for largemouth bass and panfish. I fish in nearby Monroe Lake which has a nice population of wipers. The lake is a reservoir, approx 8000 acres, mainly 35 feet deep with old riverbeds and channels as deep as 50'. While I've caught the occasional wiper, I've never fished for them and would like to start, but am confused.

I bought some tackle but have received conflicting info about the size and type of line that I should spool. I purchased UglySick 8' trolling rods and Basspro Strata reels with linecounters. I will be trolling with planers and downriggers. Should I use mono or braid and what size should the line be?

I subscribed to Precision Trolling, but all of their info about trolling depths is gauged to 10# Berkley XT or 10# Berkley Fireline. So if I change line size how do I adjust the depth?

Also, I've never used a forum and don't quite know how to use one. If this info is already on here, could you please direct me to the site location.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.